Doom Enhanced

bomberman

So I just watch for the occasional "new" thing I can do with my GP2X and came across some posts about hires conversion for Doom. Since I run (and play) dozens of pwads I thought it would be really cool to get back to the original ... but better. Here you can find a texture pack that gives Doom a WOW factor on the small screen. It has never looked so sharp (literally). unzip the pak3 file (I used zd-dhtp-20100114.pk3) and move the flats and textures directories into a new Hires directory and re-zip and rename to pk3. Then load your doom2 with a -file zd-dhtp-20100114.pk3 parameter and ... wait. It takes a while to load.

Played part of the first level. Holding up nice.

laharl said:
could we have a screenshot/photo ? :D
screenshotdoom201005141.png

These are zdoom 2.2 on a PC @ 320x240 but the results are the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what an incredible difference in quality. I wonder how this affects performance? Probably comparatively rapes cache on the GP2X. Are you noticing much of a framerate drop?

It does look like there's one artistic glitch with tiling on the edge of that stone texture. They should fix that ^^

Seems like you'll get a bunch of noise pretty quickly with heavy minification out into the distance, without bilinear + mip-maps. It's hard to tell what the effect is here because the ground/ceiling textures seem inherently noisy (maybe that was the point). With bilinear + mip-mapping you'd end up with blur instead, so with these super high resolution textures I guess you want anisotropic filtering too...

Orion4874 said:
Zdoom only or will it work with prboom as well? I only ask because the Wiz doesn't have a zdoom port. I'd love to see this on it's oled screen.
I cannot test since the Prboom version on F200 does not support pk3. When zdoom is available on WIZ you can test.

Exophase said:
Are you noticing much of a framerate drop?
Minor, more of a delay between sections (not sure how zdoom preloads/caches sprites). I bumped the speed to 233 to compensate.

Exophase said:
Seems like you'll get a bunch of noise pretty quickly with heavy minification out into the distance, without bilinear + mip-maps. It's hard to tell what the effect is here because the ground/ceiling textures seem inherently noisy (maybe that was the point). With bilinear + mip-mapping you'd end up with blur instead, so with these super high resolution textures I guess you want anisotropic filtering too...
This works better on real hires (i.e. PC) but I figure to give it a whirl on the small screen. There may be some glitches down the road but the benefit of a sharper looking (close-up) gameplay makes for a fun replay of the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back