Does The Wiz Still Have Screen Tearing, And If So, Where?

glossywhite

Still Fresh
Hi folks. As a soon-to-be Wiz user, I have been doing various research, and I heard a couple of rumours about the Wiz having screen tearing issues; is this a problem, or has it been fixed?. If it hasn't, why not, and when?.

Thanks

glossywhite said:
Hi folks. As a soon-to-be Wiz user, I have been doing various research, and I heard a couple of rumours about the Wiz having screen tearing issues; is this a problem, or has it been fixed?. If it hasn't, why not, and when?.

Thanks

The Wiz does still suffer from some screen tearing, although there have been some fixes implemented in several of the emulators. The main reason for this (I believe) is the fact that the AMOLED screen the Wiz uses was rotated 90 degrees, forcing the Wiz to render its screen differently. There are still a few places where it's noticeable, but for the most part it's been fixed through software.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tearing is still awful in Doom, Rise of the Triad and Wolfenstein 3D. Someone should really fix those games. As for emulators it's either minimal or non existent. PicoDrive and gpsp have complete fixes with no tearing whatsoever.

MkidTrigun said:
The Wiz does still suffer from some screen tearing, although there have been some fixes implemented in several of the emulators. The main reason for this (I believe) is the fact that the AMOLED screen the Wiz uses was rotated 90 degrees, forcing the Wiz to render its screen differently. There are still a few places where it's noticeable, but for the most part it's been fixed through software.
What do you mean the screen was rotated 90 degrees? What would that have anything to do with it?

Also, I'm guessing this has something to do with why the GpFCE NES emulator comes in rotation and no rotation versions?

The screen being rotated makes the tearing issue. You see the screen is set up to be natively addressed at 90degrees to its current use: in other words, the screen is rotated to the right, and then software is used to bring things horizontal. This software fix is causing the tearing - the solution is to use the screen in its original, non-offset way, and then use GLES to accelerate the rotation back 90 degrees to the horizontal. Weird, yes, but a compromise was made and just not very well fixed in the final implementation .. good thing the Wiz hacker elite figured out what the problem was and came up with a suitable fix ..

torpor said:
The screen being rotated makes the tearing issue. You see the screen is set up to be natively addressed at 90degrees to its current use: in other words, the screen is rotated to the right, and then software is used to bring things horizontal. This software fix is causing the tearing - the solution is to use the screen in its original, non-offset way, and then use GLES to accelerate the rotation back 90 degrees to the horizontal. Weird, yes, but a compromise was made and just not very well fixed in the final implementation .. good thing the Wiz hacker elite figured out what the problem was and came up with a suitable fix ..

This is really obvious in Flash - I guess the Flash implementation is still crude and doesn't take advantage of the GLES approach as you mention.

Back