GP2X Dipped My Toe

TheMinder

After wanting one for a good while i finally dived in and bought one and it came last week so thought i'd do a quick post.

Unit came with 1.2.1 firmware on and i've kept it like that for the time being while i try a few things.

As other threads have mentioned umpteen times the joystick isn't great but it wasn't as bad as i was expecting.

I popped an HDTV-XVID download of an episode of Bones on it and was very very surprised by the quality - really spot on.

So far all the emus i've tried - Spectrum , Atari2600, AtariLynx, AtariST, Genesis, Commodore have been pretty spot on as well (only tried a couple of things on each so time will tell).

My normal IDE is Dev-C++ but i couldn't get it to work after following the wiki and also the posts in here - i will get to the bottom of it because none of the errors i was getting were the same as the ones in here and so it might help someone to not make the same noob mistake i'm making.

Decided to have a go at using the CODEBLOCKS sware and after following the wiki to set it up and use it to compile GuyFawkes example and after a slight addition it compiled and worked as it should.

The one thing i had to do extra that wasn't mentioned in the wiki/threads (unless i missed it which is more than likely) was as follows :

STEP 2 - 6. says

Click Add and browse (...) to "C:\DevKitGP2X\include" (assuming that DevKitGP2X is on C:). Add another path "C:\devkitGP2X\lib\gcc\arm-linux\4.0.2\include"

and i also had to add the path to C:\devkitGP2X\include\SDL to get things to compile.

Big thanks to everyone who has contributed to the WIKI, big thanks to all who've posted contributions in the forum - there's a huge amount of info to get anyone going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Methinks this should go in the dev forums ...

(and welcome to the nice community ... :))

TheMinder posted on Mar 28 2006 at 10:42 AM said:
I popped an HDTV-XVID download of an episode of Bones on it and was very very surprised by the quality - really spot on.

Definitely re-encode your video to 320x240 -- the extra horsepower needed to scale down from resolutions like 720p or 1080p is going to drain your batteries much quicker and impact your playback framerates. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back