GP32 Devkitarm R41 "working" On Gp32

kidchaos2k6

Still Fresh
Hi,

A few days ago i "dusted off" my GP32 and it amazes that is still working like a charm, Slaanesh work on Mame4all and his GP32 ports is fantastic... I decided to test my development skills rebuilding the development environment on a P4 linux box, although its been harder than expected, i managed to:

- install latests release of devkitARM r41,
- recompile the SDL4GP sources, at last i managed to understand the differences between dkarm/SDL build scripts files which annoyed me for a long time, also it allowed me:
- with small modifications, managed to rebuild mithris GDB stub and arm-none-eabi-gdb to debug GP32 through the USB interface. Although the USB functions were exclusive of the official SDK, i am mixing libraries during debug builds which allows the gp32 gdbstub to be remotely debugged from linux using gdb/insight.

Depending on my spare time, i would like to return one more time to the beat2xgp project maybe profiling the code and see its still possible to achieve some extra performance, also i would love to achieve some 3D project/port of my own ...

Where did the :lovegps: icon go?? :(

@B^)>

Think you'd be able to get SDL working completely with C++ on the GP32? I keep trying different things and failing. :lol:

I guess I don't really know enough about what I'm doing to get the job done. Slaanesh somehow managed to pull it off, but I can't get him to send me any information about how he did it. :(

I did manage to get in contact with him briefly, but he seemed to lose interest in helping me fairly quickly.

jmetal88 said:
Think you'd be able to get SDL working completely with C++ on the GP32? I keep trying different things and failing. :lol:

I guess I don't really know enough about what I'm doing to get the job done. Slaanesh somehow managed to pull it off, but I can't get him to send me any information about how he did it. :(

I did manage to get in contact with him briefly, but he seemed to lose interest in helping me fairly quickly.

Yeah, sorry my attention and time allowances drifts back to my other hobby all the time.

I've never been able to run anything on the GP32 that was C++ successfully. Compile, yes, run no.

I tried porting Stella the Atari 2600 emulator to the GP32. Got it going but the libraries just don't support constructors/deconstructors for some reason so it just doesn't work.

I started trying to write my own libc but that didn't seem to work either.

So everything I've coded is pretty much straight "C" - which is no problem.

The guy that did the Atari 800 emulator did get C++ going - he created his own lower level libraries.

Anyway good luck with the devving - I still enjoy my GP32. I still use my own vAtari 2600 emulator mainly and some MAME games - mainly because it starts so quickly!

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:
jmetal88 said:

Yeah, sorry my attention and time allowances drifts back to my other hobby all the time.

I've never been able to run anything on the GP32 that was C++ successfully. Compile, yes, run no.

I tried porting Stella the Atari 2600 emulator to the GP32. Got it going but the libraries just don't support constructors/deconstructors for some reason so it just doesn't work.

The guy that did the Atari 800 emulator did get C++ going - he created his own lower level libraries.

Anyway good luck with the devving - I still enjoy my GP32. I still use my own vAtari 2600 emulator mainly and some MAME games - mainly because it starts so quickly!

How did you get OpenJazz running, then, considering the version you put out was written in C++? Or did you just remove the problem functions (mainly the ones that access the SMC, IIRC) and replace them with functions from other libraries?

jmetal88 said:
slaanesh said:
jmetal88 said:

How did you get OpenJazz running, then, considering the version you put out was written in C++? Or did you just remove the problem functions (mainly the ones that access the SMC, IIRC) and replace them with functions from other libraries?

Bump. You said in my old OpenJazz thread that it had something to do with fgetc();. If you feel like elaborating on that, and how you fixed the issue, please do!

Hi,

Huh? Did I managed to awake some interest? Ill try to follow the thread more frequently...

My main success for the Gp32 some years ago was the Beat2X gp2x port, which was a REAL C++ (classes/constructors,... the use of STL was dangerous), including the recompilation of the SDL4GP and Ogg-vorbis libs using the devkitARM release of the moment (30-something) which were very buggy at that time... I still have the sources and would like to publish knowing that is working ok...
As i previously commented, the linux-binary of the latest release of devkitarm works like a charm, and as i mention, i understood the issue with the gp32.specs and the problem of mixing incorrect linkscript(.ld/.x) and .crt0 files, which could crash the console when you first compile a simple c/c++ helloworld:
- BEFORE starting the program check the crt0 ASM-ARM code (dont panic i am a dull also), i checked that devkitarm gp32.crt0.s calls some __libc_init_array before calling main, which i think makes C++ code works...
- SDL4GP has his own crt0.s which initializes the GP32 hardware whith the x_gp32/LIBC custom lib, i have added this code to the devkitarm gp32crt0, also SDL4GP needed a modification in the .ld file and added an extra "__end entry" almost at the end of the file before the STABS section...

From this everything could go on as usual, and the SDL examples test worked for me :D

As im specially busy, ill try to find some spare time if there is still issues... And also if some is interested ill try to explain how to setup the GDB/GDBstub-debug via USB and recompiling the DKARM-insight ... It helps developing on the GP32 with real pleasure...

Regards!

I'm gonna keep an eye on this, I really should look back into some GP32 stuff, still the most comfortable handheld to hold with it's little boobies...

It's also a great handheld to use. One probelm facing handhelds is that whilst technically they are good, they are let down by in-adequate controls.
The GP2X is a prime example of this - the intial release with that stupid joystick were absurd! I quickly bought Dave-C's nokia joystick kit and modded my GP2X - it's still working even today and makes using it a dream! I have another GP2x without the mod and it's simply awful in comparison!
Then I got a Wiz and whilst the main controller is okay, the buttons seem awkward to me!

I still love the GP32's "instant on", awesome controller, adequate buttons (not perfect, 4 buttons opposing the controller would have made it perfect).
The GP32's main fault is it's stupid memory rotated screen! If that would have been "regular rotation" it would have been much nicer to program.

Anyway, I've perfected my Atari 2600 emulator for the GP32 and will release it for Christmas as a 10 year anniversary release - I've had mine for about 10yrs now, not quite but close enough. :)

Mmm...
My gp32 is burning these days, i hve return to some msx emulator and im really enjoying, and i would like to achieve some result devving but time is short for me...

Slaanesh, any gp32 news? Im awaiting to test your vatari emulator and seems it was "volatilized" from the net!

BTW, checking the gianna project, seems like the expected gp32 port is not released... Any contribution expected?
As Im writing this, im thinking that its a pity that i couldnt achieve more results with my gp development because i used to have some problems recreating my development environment after some devkitarm upgrades... And suddenly a flash comes to my mind about sharing a virtualbox image with a some linux FIXED environment with all the libraries that could be used at least to achieve some SDL ports...

im going to open a new thread and expect some comments...

Back