Dev Kits?

BCable

The main page for Pandora says that the Dev kits will be open order for May, I'm just curious what the price difference will be (I'm sure it will cost a little more), and what you'll get with them. I'm considering developing for the Pandora, but I'm not 100% sure I'll have the time or have any ideas of anything to work on, so I was just curious :).

Also, regarding the newest post on the site, why are the kits ready to ship this week, but the video STILL not showing the whole unit put together? If you're shipping 100 of these, shouldn't you be able to have a video of at least ONE of them put together? Aren't most of the pictures/screenshots/etc just 3D renderings of what you expect it to look like? Do you just want us to all die of suspense?

Also, since I'm considering developing for the Pandora, what libraries are currently being used for displaying stuff, and how much different would it be from developing for the GP2X? I never got into development for the 2X, but I have one and was curious if learning to develop for that first would be a good thing, or if it would be completely different and wouldn't really matter that much. I already know enough GNU C/C++ to get by.

For ideas, is there any PIM software being planned by anyone? Like calendars, notes, etc?

The price will be the same, £199.

There isn't a picture with the case because the case isn't finished, but you might see something next week about that.

But you can see the insides put together on the various videos.

The case is the last thing we are doing.

SO what are the differences between the dev kit and the regular version?

zacaj said:
You may, or may not, immediately get a case, so you might need to do some self-assembly.

Regular version may have some tweaks on the hardware side

You will almost definitely have to upgrade your firmware on the developer version (possibly more than once)

Don't know about anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
zacaj said:
If there are no problems discovered with the board, then nothing. The impression I get is that the "dev kits" serve two purposes. They give software developers something to code for, but they are also a test run of the hardware. If the devs find a problem with the physical design, it can be corrected before the full production run. Craig has already promised to "take care of" dev board purchasers in the event of a serious design problem, so the risk is minimal.

Right now the cases aren't ready, so any devs who order early are probably going to get a naked board. They'll get a case when they are available and can assemble it themselves.

Would firmware upgrading be dangerous at all? If not, then the dev boards will just require more manual work, and maybe have a few small problems?

zacaj said:
Would firmware upgrading be dangerous at all?
Pandora is essentially unbrickable. Even if you flash a bad boot image, you can always boot from an SD card and re-flash.

Chip said:
zacaj said:
Would firmware upgrading be dangerous at all?
Pandora is essentially unbrickable. Even if you flash a bad boot image, you can always boot from an SD card and re-flash.

Yes, a completely blank nand can still be recovered by using an SD card :)

No need for JTAG here.

Squidge said:
zacaj said:
You may, or may not, immediately get a case, so you might need to do some self-assembly.

I assume Pandora is a fanless design. So how hot does it get inside the case under worst conditions, for instance when both SD slots are occupied to block airflow and all peripherals (flash, usb, wifi, sound, etc) are in use?

Chip said:
They give software developers something to code for, but they are also a test run of the hardware. If the devs find a problem with the physical design, it can be corrected before the full production run. Craig has already promised to "take care of" dev board purchasers in the event of a serious design problem, so the risk is minimal.

Right now the cases aren't ready, so any devs who order early are probably going to get a naked board. They'll get a case when they are available and can assemble it themselves.
So from what I understand, the dev kit owners will get:

-Pandora Mainboard
-LCD & LCD Ribbon
-Touchscreen parts
-Battery
-Charger

and perhaps a case, if not it will get shipped at a later date. (?)

If that is so, my first question would probably be how we connect the battery on the devboard. Do we get a battery holder for it? Will there be firmware on it, or are we expected to code applications that talk directly to the hardware? The current state of firmware is probably thing I'm most curious about, second being whether or not I'll be able to get it in Pink. :lol:

Also, if we get a bad board, or there is a serious problem found in the dev boards, will we get a new board when the issue is corrected?

Gruso said:
Pandora will be chilled by the cold stare of Quasist.
That's nice to know but what if Mr. Quasist is temporarily distracted?

Is there a temperature sensor somewhere that prevents Pandora from overheating?

AireTamStorm said:
The current state of firmware is probably thing I'm most curious about, second being whether or not I'll be able to get it in Pink. :lol:
If the case comes separately, spraying it pink will be that much easier. :D

Also, if we get a bad board, or there is a serious problem found in the dev boards, will we get a new board when the issue is corrected?
Craigix has confirmed a "yes" on that.

Battery connection: The battery connector on the naked board looks like it will be getting a small 2-pin connector. The batery will probably have a short lead with the female version of that connector. Plug it in and you're good to go.

Heat: The OMAP3530 is speciffically designed for cell phones and other handheld devices. More importantly, it is designed to not require any special cooling. It just plain doesn't get that hot.

Chip said:
Heat: The OMAP3530 is speciffically designed for cell phones and other handheld devices. More importantly, it is designed to not require any special cooling. It just plain doesn't get that hot.
But it does produce heat and it's not the only chip present. Let me rephrase the question. I'm recompiling the NetBSD userland with my new experimental compiler and I have to take the dog for a walk. I put it in a trouser pocket so I can listen to music until I get a Boiiinng! when $? = 1. Do I have to worry about the family jewels?

netbsd said:
I put it in a trouser pocket so I can listen to music until I get a Boiiinng! when $? = 1. Do I have to worry about the family jewels?

With battery exploding all around, I would not put anything battery-powered close to my kingdom's crown, be it low power or not :p

Craig: If I somehow manage to break it through software when I'm testing it, can I tell you how I did it and get a replacement? :p

Squidge said:
Yes, a completely blank nand can still be recovered by using an SD card :)

No need for JTAG here.
Heh... Nice thinking that. There's been quite a few people that were on the bleeding edge of the handheld Linux space that ended up bricking many a iPaq and other devices.

netbsd said:
Chip said:
But it does produce heat and it's not the only chip present. Let me rephrase the question. I'm recompiling the NetBSD userland with my new experimental compiler and I have to take the dog for a walk. I put it in a trouser pocket so I can listen to music until I get a Boiiinng! when $? = 1. Do I have to worry about the family jewels?

Might not want to listen to me, I'm paranoid to the point of avoiding cell phones but my first access point, a cisco 540, (not made by cisco, forget who they bought), had a big yellow flag stuck on the antenna which read,

"WARNING, do not make contact during transmission as cellular nerve damage may result".

or something close to that, I'll never forget the phrase, "cellular nerve damage". The next one didn't have the flag but the frequency and power did not change, something I used to remind people of when they were holding the unshielded prototype of my wireless pad in their lap. "Want kids? Better put that on the table.". Even that little one inch strand of fiber antenna can mess you up.

Back