Cyclone Fixes

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
not directly GP32 related, but:

I was silently working on Dave's Cyclone 68000 core, and now have nice results. It now does all games I tested which were mentioned in Drmd's forum. Additionally, Shining Force and Landstalker also work. All testing was done on Symbian SE P800 phone with Dave's original Pico library and no Z80 emulation. All changes were done by me, but I did read Reesy's changelogs, so some bugfinding credit still goes to him.

I decided to release this to public. I don't think this is wrong only because it is now removed from Dave's website. There are no statements preventing public distribution anywhere in the source or documentation.

You can download it here.

wow, now thats nice.
Thank you very much, you have propably helped multiple developers/projects at multiple platforms.

notaz posted on Aug 23 2005 at 12:31 AM said:

I was silently working on Dave's Cyclone 68000 core, and now have nice results. It now does all games I tested which were mentioned in Drmd's forum. Additionally, Shining Force and Landstalker also work. All testing was done on Symbian SE P800 phone with Dave's original Pico library and no Z80 emulation. All changes were done by me, but I did read Reesy's changelogs, so some bugfinding credit still goes to him.

I decided to release this to public. I don't think this is wrong only because it is now removed from Dave's website. There are no statements preventing public distribution anywhere in the source or documentation.

God bless you sir! Those are two of my top ten favorite games on Genesis! =)

Wonder how fast Cyclone will run on GPX2... ;) Hmm, a lot of good systems had a 68000 CPU: Genesis as we all know, but also NeoGeo, CPS1, CPS2, Atari ST, Amiga, many arcade games... =) So any updates to Cyclone can help lead to many great future emu projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prophet posted on Aug 23 2005 at 03:35 AM said:
notaz posted on Aug 23 2005 at 12:31 AM said:

God bless you sir! Those are two of my top ten favorite games on Genesis! =)

Wonder how fast Cyclone will run on GPX2... ;) Hmm, a lot of good systems had a 68000 CPU: Genesis as we all know, but also NeoGeo, CPS1, CPS2, Atari ST, Amiga, many arcade games... =) So any updates to Cyclone can help lead to many great future emu projects.

Well I would imagine Cyclone will run exactly 34 MHz faster than a 166 MHz GP32.

BobBorakovitz posted on Aug 23 2005 at 04:15 AM said:
Well I would imagine Cyclone will run exactly 34 MHz faster than a 166 MHz GP32.

what is your goal? to make the GPx2 fail? It sure seems like it.

Huh? No it is simple math Cyclone runs at 166 now, and will run at 200 mHz on a GPx2. Cyclone itself will not be any faster than 200 MHz because of the extra core, but the emu may though if the extra core can be used, different story. He didn't say how fast emus will run, he said he wondered how fast *cyclone* will run and the answer is 200 MHz. No need to get your panties in a bunch ;)

DaveC,

You're comparing an overclocked GP32 with an older revision ARM chip, to a newer revision ARM chip running at its factory clock speed of 200Mhz. Plus you're not taking bus structure, memory interface etc. into account.

The GPX2 could very well run Cyclone a bit faster than you think. And I suspect the GPX2 CPU will be overclockable as well. IIRC there's also a 250Mhz version of the 920T - so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the GPX2 main CPU could be OC'ed safely to 233Mhz or more.

Moreover, to some degree or another, the co-processor will take some load off the main CPU, so there will be more clock cycles available to it. Even if it's just to perform basic rendering & scaling functions or audio processing. And if things turn out really good, even more load can be sent to the 940T, leaving even more cycles available for CPU cores.

So I don't think we're just looking at an extra 34Mhz.

And don't forget, not all GP32's are evn stable at 166Mhz. ;) 133Mhz is the common stable clock speed.

Anyway - until the chickens are hatched, let's imagine they'll all taste good. ;) No point in being pessimistic.

Yeah maybe, but yeah we will need to wait and see what happens when devs start hacking around with it. That will end all of our speculations. I hope it does turn out good. It holds alot of promise if it works out well, it seems like the handheld most suited for emulation at the moment.

I hope maybe Reesy and Skeezix play with this new cyclone on the GP32 too. Genesis and Castaway could really benefit.

DaveC posted on Aug 23 2005 at 04:54 AM said:
Yeah maybe, but yeah we will need to wait and see what happens when devs start hacking around with it. That will end all of our speculations. I hope it does turn out good. It holds alot of promise if it works out well, it seems like the handheld most suited for emulation at the moment.

I hope maybe Reesy and Skeezix play with this new cyclone on the GP32 too. Genesis and Castaway could really benefit.

Definitely! I would love to play some Landstalker on GP32 while I'm waiting for GPX2 to arrive. ;) Hopefully savestates will be transferable when DrMD gets ported to GPX2. If not, I'll just start over, I don't mind. Hehe.

Prophet posted on Aug 23 2005 at 05:15 AM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 23 2005 at 04:54 AM said:
Yeah maybe,  but yeah we will need to wait and see what happens when devs start hacking around with it.   That will end all of our speculations.  I hope it does turn out good.  It holds alot of promise if it works out well, it seems like the handheld most suited for emulation at the moment.

I hope maybe Reesy and Skeezix play with this new cyclone on the GP32 too.  Genesis and Castaway could really benefit.

Definitely! I would love to play some Landstalker on GP32 while I'm waiting for GPX2 to arrive. ;) Hopefully savestates will be transferable when DrMD gets ported to GPX2. If not, I'll just start over, I don't mind. Hehe.

Well you can still beat the games that you play now on the GP32 even if you get a GPx2 and the saves don't work on it. These games run very well on the latest DRmd, even smoother than when you last tried it. I know you said that you haven't tried the newest DRMD, you may want to, Thunderforce IV even works now.

Any plans on using the Cyclone improvements to further development on PicoDrive for PocketPC? I just bought a new PDA and would looove to play Genesis on it (Morphgear's Generator isn't that great). :wub:

Back