Curious About Midi(share)

rokdcasbah

got me a date with botticelli's niece
the recent thread about milkytracker got me thinking about usb keyboards. i know that torpor was working on porting midishare to the gp2x, but the most recent info i can find is from late last year.

[jay, i was just going to PM you, but i'd like to try and get some discussion going if i could. i know you were looking for beta testers then, but at the time i was far too busy and not on the boards as much. and then as now, i had no serial cable. but i have more time now and could make one for this purpose.]

my fear is that the project was either put off due to lack of testers or hit some technical hurdle. but it seemed like torpor had done a lot of work and was close to a release, and in any case i am mostly just curious about what happened. there was a nice article here:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/?p=1586

anyway what i would really love, and would be willing to help out with if there is still work being done in this area, is something like:

usb midi keyboard (like my korg k49) + midishare + puredata + gp2x
= softsynth & sampler awesomeness that runs on a 9V and a couple of AAs?

some great and very creative things have been done in terms of tracking and composition, especially with piggy. but what i am curious about right now is what would be required to use the gp2x as a base for an extremely programmable live synth module. the setup will be involved but the potential could be unlimited. want 50 LFOs? click 'em in! an xyz controller? use a scroll mouse!

note: i know i can toss reason on a laptop, or use the tons of free vst stuff out there, but this is geekier and therefore cooler.

You should contact Torpor about Midishare as he was working hard on. B)

Maybe you have a newer Mk2 which supports 5V from Ext - then you don't need a 9V Block but just an ext cable from arttaylor :)

StarG said:
You should contact Torpor about Midishare as he was working hard on. B)

Maybe you have a newer Mk2 which supports 5V from Ext - then you don't need a 9V Block but just an ext cable from arttaylor :)
eh, i figured i'd see if i wasn't the only one that was interested. i guess if he doesn't see the thread then i'll be forced to pester.

i have a mk1...so i was figuring, hypothetically, use the dc plug with a 9V or 2. oddly enough, though the keyboard can get usb power, it takes a 9V adapter. kind of cool though if they did it to use standard parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of hooking my GP2X up to my Arduino (avr microcontroller board) and seeing what I can do. Not sure that is relevant here, but what the hey! Thinking that it'd be a cool way to get some Midi out going

Back