Crackly Sound

IndyUK

Still Fresh
Hi All,

I just got my GP2X today and noticed the sound is always very crackly. The bootup screen sound seems fine, but as soon as I try out an emulator it just crackles. Can anyone give me any reasons why?

I bought the console from a guy on ebay so I'm gonna complain if he's sold me a faulty unit, especially since his advert description makes no mention of this. :angry:

Hope someone can help me out here so I can action this.

Thanks

PS: I like the console. Can't wait to play my Amiga and Speccy games. :D

Hello. :)

First of all, what emulator were you running? It could be an incorrect sound setting issue.
Is it happening in any other applications? (Media Player for example)

First of all, what emulator were you running? It could be an incorrect sound setting issue.
Is it happening in any other applications? (Media Player for example)

I tried the Amiga and Megadrive (pico). In the Megadrive one I tried to play Batman and the sound was terrible. I'm sure that I saw lots of videos on Youtube of users playing various emus that sounded perfect. I pretty much much bought the concole to play Batman the Movie on the Amiga (loved it when I had my Amiga A500) and Manic Miner via Speccy or CPC emu. I'm gonna be p!$$ed if this doesn't turn out to be what I thought I was buying.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
bacteria posted on May 18 2009 at 02:45 AM said:
It's probably a loose speaker wire or cold joint there. Test other games/emulators on the GP2x first though to see if they are crackly too.
I think you're right. I tried a couple of mp3s and they're crackly too. I'm going to see if the seller will take this back as I'm not happy with the item.

Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to fix the loose wire/cold joints?

IndyUK posted on May 19 2009 at 12:07 PM said:
bacteria posted on May 18 2009 at 02:45 AM said:
It's probably a loose speaker wire or cold joint there. Test other games/emulators on the GP2x first though to see if they are crackly too.
I think you're right. I tried a couple of mp3s and they're crackly too. I'm going to see if the seller will take this back as I'm not happy with the item.
Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to fix the loose wire/cold joints?

All you can do is just apply a little solder to the wires at the speaker connections and the motherboard connections; if the existing solder joints are weak or the wire is slightly loose, then this will make the connections work properly; if this method doesn't work, nothing much else you can do apart from changing the speakers (they can fail sometimes). I had the same issue with an answermachine at home a while back - very crackly - rather than buy a new one, I replaced the speaker; cured the crackle! If you find that one speaker is fine and the other needs replacement, I can sell you a similar speaker for £2 including postage (UK); I have one that's available if you need it - pretty sure it is the right size.

Back