Copyrighting.

Apeiron

Whilst away on holidays I had some time to think and came up with an idea for a product.
I Personnally think it quite good and would be a handy thing for people to use.
But how would I go about checking its not available or someone elses idea already and then doing some designs and a spec sheet to copyright it and purpose it to a company which may be interested in such a product.
You lot seem like a pretty intelligent crowd and with homebrew you may wish to do it your self at times.

Klown posted on Sep 15 2005 at 05:30 PM said:
I work at the patent office in Leeds and I can patent your idea for you if you PM me it.
lol :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Copyright applies to any form of art and prevents others from copying it. That is nobody have the right to take your game and make copies of it without permission. Copyrights doesn't work for ideas though. You need a patent. Patent processes takes a lot of time and if you want a world wide patent it's gonna cost you a lot, each country has it's own patent system and some have none. I've never heard of anyone patenting a game idea. You would have to make loads of little patents for every thing in the game and none of those can be similar to anything that has been done before. So just skip the whole idea :) If you put together a design document of a game and somebody steals the idea then I'm sure you could sue them for breaking the copyright law, but I don't think it would protect everything. The best thing to be able to enforce the copyright law is to make sure you can prove that they stole the ideas from you. Still it's probably quite expensive to defend yourself in a court against a publisher.

Back