Confused About Dreamcast?

andius

Website
Visit site
Ok im confused. What do i need to play NES on a dreamcast? Mod-chip? Boot-disk? or nothing. Also what do i need for plaing "backups" ;) . THanks in advance for any info :)

you need a cd burner and cds
for some backups you need a boot disc that you can download of the internet for free
but most are self boot

You can get all software (homebrew/ warez) to selfboot. Sometimes doesent work tho (if u do it wrong) and leads to some nice frisbees :D. U can usually download like selfbooting .cdi's or .nrg :)

there are no bars on 'backups' in any way : / aslong as they self boot else you can use action replay cdx which can launch official foreign games its all pretty great - yey nes "_"

Do you need a chip if the backup you are playing is from a different region? I.e. backup NTSC game on a PAL DC?
Nope just a boot disc, well thats what pink told me anyway.
You don't need to use the boot disk for different regions. You can play games for any region providing that your TV supports 60MHZ mode, which most do these days and most PAL DC games also run in 60HMZ mode, so you probably already know.

You only need the boot disk for emulaters\home brew\pirated games that are not self bootable. Most images you find will be Nero or Disk Juggler images that are self boootable and so don't need the boot disk.

There are lots of applications around that help you to make your own bootable disks when you are putting together your emulator with ROMs. See here.

Last edited by a moderator:
SO if i have a bootable backup image on my computer, then all I need is Nero to burn it right? Or do I need one of the self-booting aplications to burn it?

CDI is the DiscJuggler Image type, don't know if there's a "Code of Honour" to have all CDIs self boot ;)
SBI on the other hand is Selfboot Induced file that can be used with DreamInducer. Those, of course, always selfboot ;)

(Dammit, I have a DC for one day now and I already sound like I knew what I was talking about! ;) Well, I actually do.)

dreamcasts are perfect for budget gamers
i bought mine for 35 dollars and now get free 128 graphics games
if you get one downlaod the jeffma 4 in 1 shooter pack
you wont regret it

Back