Comments In The File Archive... Limitation?

statikeffeck

Still Fresh
Website
statik.djmp.org
I can't seem to figure out how to read all the comments (in fact, I can't read more than the first 10) on any file uploaded to the GP32x.de archive.
For example, the very popular DrMD Emu for GP2X has 178 comments, but I can only see the first (and oldest) 10.

Is this a limitation of the archive code or am I doing something wrong?

Looks like it's intended to be like that. You know, files are updated from time to time so older comments are inaccurate and there is no reason to read them anyway. :)

Yup, these forums are far more useful than comments left in the file archive. I suppose the file archive supports anonymous comments though that the forum doesn't, so it may have it uses :)

hando posted on Feb 1 2006 at 04:56 AM said:
Looks like it's intended to be like that. You know, files are updated from time to time so older comments are inaccurate and there is no reason to read them anyway. :)

I understand that old comments (especially with frequently updated files) are obsolete & inaccurate, which is why it is so much more important to show the NEWEST 10 comments, not the OLDEST 10 comments. Basically we're looking at files in the archive and the comments are like "I can't get this to run at all/ I can't get this option to work at all" when in reality, these comments were written for the program's version 2 months in the past. People may be confused while reading them, and be discouraged from downloading a file.

In conclusion: the file archive displays only the first 10 comments ever written for a given file. Comment 11, 12, 13....99 will never be shown to anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun thing about anonymous comments. They are added to the comment total, but the text isn't shown. You can try this out, write a comment and post it when you're not logged in.

statikeffeck posted on Feb 1 2006 at 02:56 AM said:
I can't seem to figure out how to read all the comments (in fact, I can't read more than the first 10) on any file uploaded to the GP32x.de archive.
For example, the very popular DrMD Emu for GP2X has 178 comments, but I can only see the first (and oldest) 10.

Is this a limitation of the archive code or am I doing something wrong?

Actually there is a bug in the website. If you enter a comment when you are not logged in, the comment count goes up but the comment is not posted to the site :) ...I wonder why DrMD has over 200 comments.....don't look at me......you can't prove a thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back