Coming Back To The Gp32 Scene!

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
Well, after a less than satisfactory run with the GP2X, followed by a short time trying some commercial gaming on the Nintendo DS, and an additional time period where I owned no handhelds, I finally managed to win myself a GP32 FLU! :D

I've wanted one ever since I heard about the GP32, but at that time I could only afford the NLU, which I eventually broke and replaced with a BLU, which I later sold some time after I got my GP2X (which also ended up sold).

Basically, the reason I'm posting this thread is because I want to know if I've missed anything amazing in the time since the GP2X came out. I know I'll enjoy it anyway, but I'd still like to know.

jmetal88 said:
Well, after a less than satisfactory run with the GP2X, followed by a short time trying some commercial gaming on the Nintendo DS, and an additional time period where I owned no handhelds, I finally managed to win myself a GP32 FLU! :D

I've wanted one ever since I heard about the GP32, but at that time I could only afford the NLU, which I eventually broke and replaced with a BLU, which I later sold some time after I got my GP2X (which also ended up sold).

Basically, the reason I'm posting this thread is because I want to know if I've missed anything amazing in the time since the GP2X came out. I know I'll enjoy it anyway, but I'd still like to know.

Someone will be porting Temper, an excellent TG-16 emulator and there has been a promise of a new version of mame for about 2 years but so far nothing has materialized. I think the gp32 is a great machine but development for it is all but dead. They even tried to get a new coding compo for it but it fell through. Your best bet for new software is new games for the emulated systems. Plus, there must be a thousand games between mame and sega genesis alone that are well worth the price of admission. The flu would also make a good book reader. You could also use it for mp3's, but the cost and availability of smart media is prohibitive. Welcome back to the club, I'm sure you'll enjoy your gp32 again and when temper gets released, you can play bonk on it:)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I can guarantee that there will be a new MAME for GP32 as I am the author.

I'm moving house in the next two weeks, but I want to get a beta test version out this weekend.

So development is not quite dead for the old GP32.

Awesome. :D

Actually, I want to try picking up where I left off on homebrew development. It's really a pity that all I managed to get out before selling my GP32 was The Winking Man Game. :lol:

slaanesh said:
I can guarantee that there will be a new MAME for GP32 as I am the author.

I'm moving house in the next two weeks, but I want to get a beta test version out this weekend.

So development is not quite dead for the old GP32.
Is there a time frame for the release? I remember speaking with you about a year ago about this. Is a release coming soon?

Chris

EDIT:Actually, I guess the better question is will this be an open beta?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it today! It seems one of the SMCs died on its way overseas (the box was beaten up and moist when it arrived), but I discovered, to my delight, that one of the working SMCs has a copy of ASR on it! I can't read it at all though, but maybe I can stumble my way through it. :lol:

It sure is nice to be able to play Lacuna again, though. :)

Back