Color through a video out cable

gulyman

Still Fresh
I followed the guide that Vadsamoht wrote (http://www.mediafire...8gev3n938go9im0) and made a tv-out cable. I soldered the appropriate pins directly to the appropriate parts of my hacked off cable ends with nothing in between. It works fine, but only displays in black and white.

Here you can see ED using a tv-out cable that works, with color.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ChWB1tPIi3Y?feature=oembed

What's the difference between ED's cable and mine? Is there some intermediate circuitry?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that the main reason for the lack of colour is due to the TV-out script that basically assumes you are using an S-Video cable (though I'm not exactly sure). AFAIK there is a way around this by putting a (470pF?) capacitor somewhere in the circuit, but it's not something that I have done myself.

There is a possibility that the new TV-Out script included with the new beta for HF6 will add colour to the output by itself, but I will need to check this in the next day or so after I install the HF.

Glad you found the guide useful!

EDIT: I'll reply back once I've tried HF6B1, and let you know.

Composite output is only supported from HF6b1 right now and NTSC composite has a bug which will be fixed with HF6 Final (probably out next week)

Excellent news - the TV-Out script included with HF6b1 provides colour output just fine by using the standard (Read: non-overlay) PAL setting. The colours look a bit washed out, but I think that's more to do with the settings on my TV than the script. I'll make some modifications to the guide and upload a new version soon here.

ED: Thanks for the confirmation, and all of your hard work!

I upgraded to HF6b1, but after trying all 8 options from the TV Out script, haven't been able to achieve color.

vadsamoht: The cable that you used didn't have any internal circuitry? Also thanks for making your guide. It was very helpful.

Back