GP2X Clean/working Kernel Compile On Gp2x?

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
hi all,

man, it'd be so nice if we could get full source, eh? in the meantime, what about building another linux sysimage, routing around the fact that GPH haven't released everything ...

so .. i'm trying to get a setup where i can build my own kernel+modules for the gp2x and i was wondering if anyone has done this yet .. and if so, can you report some details about what you did to get it working, what your compiler version is, etc?

barnesy posted on Dec 6 2005 at 01:41 PM said:

torpor is aware of the source release (I think, I did tell him ;)). I think his question was more, has anyone built a kernel from that source yet.

It is worth noting that the source from GPH is missing the NetChip 2272 USB code (I have requested this) so any kernel would lack USB support. PLX Technology will give this source out on polite request if GPH/DignSys are not shortly forthcoming.

To give my answer to the question, I have built several working kernels (tested on hardware) with the MMSP2 kernel source that work on the GP2X but lack SD and USB support as the MMSP2 has neither. You need to make a small hack to the MMSP2 source to support the LCD but that is quite minor. In fairness kernels based on the MagicEyes source are quite useless for most (all?) people when used on the GP2X :D.

Looking at the GPH source differences to the MMSP2 source I see no reason why this kernel should not be configurable and buildable just fine and make a drop in replacement for the GPH shipped kernels.

That said I have not tried this yet and I am not lightly to even consider hacking about with it for the next few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great DJ!!
i compiled the kernel and it's working fine (a part the SD)
BUT i don't understand HOW the USB can work in slave mode... so you tell me there is a module that miss inside released kernel.

so i can stop become crazy trying to find a way to use USB (this is only a USB slave module right? or we can dream about some type of Host support?)

That's the first reason why i'm trying to compile the kernel.

Host mode would work for the MMSP2.

The pins connected to USB host mode are UNDER the MMSP2.

you would have to DESOLDER IT. (its BGA, dream on)

sorry to burst your bubble. :(

newmark,

You have built the kernel? The GPH one or the MMSP2 one? Good job by the way.

The MMSP2 USB drivers are totally useless, sorry to burst anybody’s bubble but as stated above the USB 1.1 on chip controller on the MMSP2 is not pegged out on the GP2X PCB and as it is a BGA chip there is nothing you can do to change it. The MMSP2 USB 1.1 drivers will compile and load fine but never work, the silicon is there, it's just not connected and can't be connected.

GPH used a NetChip 2272 USB 2 slave IC to provide USB Mass Storage Support (and it can do some other REALLY cool stuff). The drivers for that are not in the kernel source we have at the moment hence me stating there is no USB support in the open GPH kernel source on the GP2X as of now.

Back