Christmas Present Advice :)

jakeboi

Still Fresh
Hello all !

I found out about the gp2x just this morning and after looking for hours on the internet for a possible Christmas gift after being badgered for weeks by my dad.

Anyway not long ago I was reading about messing around with my DS to run homebrew apps, movies and emulators etc.. I have a PSP and never use it and also im a poor student so im not into paying 30 pounds for a hand held game..

basically what i'm saying is - is there a big advantage to paying 130 pounds to get a gp2x over paying about 40 and modifying my DS.

Sorry if this has been asked before but im not after a DS .vs. gp2x topic im just after your oppinions on this subject..

thanks

Jake

I'm not familiar with the DS but is your PSP homebrew capable? There are some fantastic emulators available for it. Unless you are into developing I don't think you would gain much by dropping an extra £130.

Well i'ts my younger Bro's PSP and I dont wanna risk busting it and I know that as soon as he sees me using it it will be stolen off of me because he'll be interested again,

No im not interested that much in developing but i like the idea of running homebrew and stuff..

If you enjoy a bit of retro-ness then you will enjoy the GP2x. Plus there's no risk of bricking it just to get homebrew to run. For me though, the community surrounding the GP2x is one of its best qualities. I dunno if that is something that is important to you?

Im deffinatley into the community side of things yea!

altho I'm a little scared of the whole thing collapsing like the Gizmondo thing :S

Yeah, but that won't happen. Though I almost bought a Giz... When I checked for new games and suddenly gizmondo.com was down.. A few days later I read the owner of gizmondo had contacts with the mafia and the company went bankrupt :lol:

Really depends on how much you are into emulating older consoles/computers like megadrive, snes, pcengine, amiga etc. And if you are planning to use it as a movie player. Those are the strengths of the GP2X.
If you are really more interested in homebrew and playing illegal roms than modifying your DS is the better idea.

Hmm...well I would of thought the gp2x screen is alot better for movies!

Iv seen that the gp2 cant run PSX games - well slow, but i doubt the DS can even run them..

Plus the GP looks cooler - I dont have a DSlite ..

Is the GP screen alot brighter than the original DS's from videos Iv seen it looks like you can barely make out roms when played on a DS (NOT a lite)

I'd say stick with what you already have and be happy. There is a problem today with people always wanting more, even though they are kings in terms of possessions.

The gp2x is a great system, very cool, but I would caution anyone that it is hard (relatively speaking) to setup. Also, it has fun games, but you probably already have half a dozen DS games of high quality.

I love my homebrew (mrs driller is a great clone of mr. driller), and I like the emulation of classics (super mario 3 is popular enough to make my wife play my gp2x more than me), just be cautious that it is what you want, and that you already don't have things that do the exact same thing (like playing sm3 on DS).

First off - Please don't try and lecture me on todays consumer needs.

Secondly I didn't anywhere say that I wanted to play DS games that I already own on the GP..

jakeboi posted on Dec 10 2006 at 08:16 PM said:
Secondly I didn't anywhere say that I wanted to play DS games that I already own on the GP..
Nor did mth411 - you seem to have misunderstood what was being said, which is, why get a GP2X if you already have a DS which can do most of the same things?

Last edited by a moderator:
mth411 posted on Dec 10 2006 at 07:50 PM said:
that it is what you want, and that you already don't have things that do the exact same thing (like playing sm3 on DS).

.. Well im interested if the screen on the GP is alot better than the DS

jakeboi posted on Dec 10 2006 at 08:42 PM said:
.. Well im interested if the screen on the GP is alot better than the DS

It's bigger, brighter & sharper, but you really can't compare since the DS has two screens and one is touch-sensitive.

Here's a little test to see if you'll really be keen on the GP2X, and have fun mucking about with it. Go to the archive (or Franxis' site), download the latest version of GP2X MAME, check out the contents of the zip/rar file and read the readme.txt file to work out how to use it.

If that kind of thing doesn't put you off, you'll adore the GP2X :)

Is there anything in particular you'd like to do on it? It would be a lot easier to give suggestions if you, say, specifically wanted Neo Geo emulation and to watch movies.

Back