Cheat Support In Emulators

joyrider

Website
www.willemssoft.be
One thing i like a lot is searching for cheats on games using memory searchers & patchers. Now i've been doing this on windows and on the psp but the only deviece i didn't see this on is the gp2x :( I can make trainers in windows without a problem and i just found out how to make them in linux thanks to google however the adresses are not constant for example if i restart my gp2x and rerun the same program the adress has changed and the cheat doesn't work anymore and i don't know a way around this so basicly i'm stuck with that (it could be something like dma on windows but i haven't had any experience with that).
anyway this is just a bit too far fetched to get cheat support in games on the gp2x if u ask me.

Emulator authors have the memory of the system in question inside a variable or something so they could just create a cheat searcher and memory patcher for the emulator itself that allaws u to search for memory adresses in the memory of the system being emulated and as well patch it with a value we like.

it would be far simpler if emulator authors just created a little frontend to this :

basicly what's needed is a mem searcher that allaws us:
- to search for a certain value or an unknown value
- continue a search for a fixed value or have : - value has changed, value has not changed, value has decreased , value has increased, value has increased by X , value has decreased by X and a ranged search between and including 2 values
it would show us the results of that.

i know the gp2x has not much memory so u could just save all the adresses into a file on the SD card instead of the memory so that it doesn't really pose a problem (that's how it's done on the psp).

the 2nd part is being able to add a cheat adress and a value and the emulator would have to constantly write that value to that part of the memory (of the emulator system so basicly into the variable).

i really would like to see this, i would do it myself but my skill isn't high enough to understand the code in emulators let alone change it to my liking. plus i have been away a while (due to world of warcraft) and haven't been programming in months so i'm a bit out of it as well.

would any emulator author incorporate such cheat system lets say for the snens emulators or the genesis ones for example . I for one would be searching codes all day and contributing them to a database.
i'm not intrested in cheating myself just finding the codes and stuff and i think others like this as well. and the people who are intrested in cheating could benefit from those that intrested in searching the codes.

Plus wasn't squidgesnes & all deratives based on an emulator that had cheat support in the first place so it could be there still is some infrastructure for it that could be combined only a little frontend for the gp2x would be needed.

so what ya all think ? :)

The Universe BIOS on the Neo Geo emu has a built in cheat database for all the games.

The speccy emulator has poke support although no search function. I'm sure there are loads of codes available on spectrum sites.

A searchable cheat engine for all apps would be nice I agree, but just remember...

cheats never prosper! ;)

Back