Changing the machine name

spiralofhope

Website
blog.spiralofhope.com
I have one of these:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=191

Logging in, I'm astounded to see that on the main status panel, my Pandora shows up.. with my password as its machine name. While this is really "awesome", it's unexpected.

hostname --fqd just gives localhost.localdomain

uname -a and hostname -a both show the actual machine name I gave it, which is unrelated to my user's password.

What's going on here?

That is... Uhm, interesting.

Did aou try, if it happens with another linux box, too?

I have one other Linux box (Lubuntu) which does not exhibit this feature.

My first boot experience with the Pandora was a little unusual. During the first boot setup process, the system rebooted because of an unseated battery. I was forced to repeat it and had to make a second user on my next pass. It's possible something went sideways during this, but I'm not sure how..

I rebooted and re-checked everything from scratch, and my Pandora shows as unknown, the same as a local wired Windows box. My other Linux box shows its hostname as I'd expect.

Trying to retrace my steps, I booted into the experimental kernel that shipped with my unit.

Code:
Version: 1.7.0.6 - R1.5 Codename Super Zaxxon, Beta 1.1

I recently switched to automatically log in. So when I tried MiniMenu I cannot enable wireless since it has no way to prompt me to enter my system password for the wireless applet to access my keyring. So I booted into xfce to test things out. It's the same as before, I'm showing as "unknown".

Curious, so I can no longer reproduce this issue.

I'm wondering if somehow the entry of my password for net applet to access my keyring somehow had it register that same password as my hostname.

One other thing - what showed up on that router/modem control panel was not exactly my password, if I can remember it correctly, it had spaces removed and was title case. So as an example, "one two three" becomes "OneTwoThree". Also, all connected users are shown out in the open on the router's front page, with no login required. Was this thing designed on a Friday?

.. so chalk up another misadventure.

Back