Release Cataclysm

Eridger

My first attempt at porting. It was surprisingly difficult, considering how basic the program is in terms of dependencies.

From Roguebasin Wiki:

The basic goal is survival in harsh post-cataclysm world. This alpha release doesn't present any long-term goals to the player, aside from goals they might set for themselves (and there's plenty to do). The first important goal is to find a way to store some items on your person. The player starts out wearing jeans and a t-shirt, limiting the volume they can carry severely. Many clothing pieces will provide pockets to store useful things in. Jeans have a few, but trenchcoats have significantly more. Consider looking for a messenger bag, a purse or a backpack. Alternatively, you can study tailoring and sew one yourself.

The next goal is to get armed well. Try to get your hands on a broom, a mop or some other long stick. Find something capable of cutting to sharpen it to a wooden spear, which is a fairly good weapon to start puncturing monsters with. Guns are a great means of dispatching shambling zombies; unfortunately the noise made attracts many more braindeads and you are going to have more trouble than you started with. Either waste those and use the first opportunity to flee, or use a silencer, found occasionally in gun stores. If you have mechanics skill, it is possible to craft a silencer from common items.

Later, load up on comestibles, tools and knowledge. Visit libraries, hardware stores, grocery stores and more. Loot every place that might contain useful means of survival. Manage your resources carefully. During your travels you should aim to be continually better prepared for all kinds of problems. These will come for sure. Zombies, triffids, fungaloids, giant ants, diseases ...

Butcher every corpse you find. Practice makes perfect. Learn how to cook and soon lone green Z's will look like meals on two legs. Unless your character is a vegetarian, that is.

Problems:

The Pandora's terminal is too small. The game requires a terminal size of 80x25, while the Pandora's terminal when maximized and with the XFCE panel hidden, is 79x23. A possible solution is to move some of the game's menu around, or to include a terminal in an upcoming PND with a smaller fontsize. I'm sure someone could think of a more elegant solution, though. A workaround right now is to hide your panel, unmaximize the terminal, resize to 80x25, then remove the window borders and menu bar. You can move the terminal around with shift+left-click to get it into the right position.

Keys are weird. This should be an easier problem to fix. Roguelikes are obviously pretty keyboard intensive, but some of the keys in the game are just weird for the Pandora's layout. This should be pretty simple to fix, but I'm pretty sure it'll need a recompile; the game doesn't have swappable buttons just yet, I don't think.

Green cursor. There's a green cursor on the screen after text. It sticks around after the latest input message, just like you'd expect when typing text, but it's annoying when playing a roguelike. Could it be a problem with ncurses? Or a terminal setting? Including the latest ncurses (that thing is a pain to compile!) or including a terminal with the PND could be a solution.

I'm an idiot. I don't know how to make a PXML file, so can't make PNDs. But this is my fault. It couldn't be too hard to look up. I'll be making a PND whenever I have the time, and plan to keep this program up-to-date with the developer's GIT branch. So it'll be as bleeding-edge as I can make it. Expect segfaults.

Download

If people can put up mirrors, or suggest other filesharing sites, I'd be happy to use them as long as they're not Rapidshare.

Running

Open a terminal, cd to wherever you put the Cataclysm folder, then ./cataclysm.

You may need to chmod the file. Doubt it, though.

I'm an idiot. I don't know how to make a PXML file, so can't make PNDs. But this is my fault. It couldn't be too hard to look up. I'll be making a PND whenever I have the time, and plan to keep this program up-to-date with the developer's GIT branch. So it'll be as bleeding-edge as I can make it. Expect segfaults.
You could use foxblocks PndTools. As far as I know it works quite well

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pandora's terminal is too small. The game requires a terminal size of 80x25, while the Pandora's terminal when maximized and with the XFCE panel hidden, is 79x23. A possible solution is to move some of the game's menu around, or to include a terminal in an upcoming PND with a smaller fontsize. I'm sure someone could think of a more elegant solution, though. A workaround right now is to hide your panel, unmaximize the terminal, resize to 80x25, then remove the window borders and menu bar. You can move the terminal around with shift+left-click to get it into the right position.
Perhaps try the "--fullscreen", "--hide-menubar", "--hide-borders", and "--hide-toolbars" options when launching a terminal. Remember, when launching a PND, the PND will have to open the terminal itself; this gives it an opportunity to adjust the terminal window as it needs.

Green cursor. There's a green cursor on the screen after text. It sticks around after the latest input message, just like you'd expect when typing text, but it's annoying when playing a roguelike. Could it be a problem with ncurses? Or a terminal setting? Including the latest ncurses (that thing is a pain to compile!) or including a terminal with the PND could be a solution.
I've used ncurses's "curs_set" function to make the cursor invisible. Look through the source to see if that gets called. If not, add it in; if it is, then maybe it's a Pandora problem, and I'm not sure what you can do.

The full PXML spec is fairly simple. There are also a variety of example PXMLs. You can also validate against the schema with the right tools. But foxblock's PNDTools is probably the most straightforward way to do it; the beta version includes a PXML generator. But I think it's Windows-only.

If people can put up mirrors, or suggest other filesharing sites, I'd be happy to use them as long as they're not Rapidshare.
All PNDs belong on the repo! It's stupid easy, and it'll even do some validation of your PXML when you upload.

Is anyone working on this? The download link doesn't work in my region, and the original poster doesn't respond to my PM's.

The download link is dead (the region thing is just an ad I think) and Eridger hasn't been on these forums for about a year by the looks of it.

I'll have a crack at porting from source if no-one else volunteers. EDIT: maybe not actually, trying to compiling it is crashing my Pandora.

You might have luck with the N900 version (attached).

unzip, cd to cataclysm and run with ./cataclysm

Be sure your terminal is at least 80x25 characters (decrease font size if needed)

cataclysm.zip

Attachments

• cataclysm.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 172
You might have luck with the N900 version (attached).

unzip, cd to cataclysm and run with ./cataclysm

Be sure your terminal is at least 80x25 characters (decrease font size if needed)

Does not run - complains about libstdc++.so.6 being incompatible or something.

D.

You might need to package this library and maybe a lot of others from the nokia sdk with it to make it run.

I'm building it from source. I'd like to run the terminal with no screen furniture, but I cannot seem to get rid of the scrollbar.

D.

I had this problem before and iirc you needed to provide a custom gtkconfigfile or something that needs to be in the appdatadir and overrides the normal config.

There is no commandlineoption for the xfce terminal that does this unfortunately.

Ok, built it natively on the pandora (sebt3's toolchain Yactfeau only builds an x86 binary(!)) but it fails to run - just get a green cursor at the top of the terminal window and nothing else...

Any suggestions, anyone?

D.

It takes forever to compile

It run in rxvt-unicode (in my Pandora at least). Try another terminal than the default one.

I find the default font is a little small for rxvt-unicode, making it hard to read text, but it runs...

It should be possible to bundle these and LD_PRELOAD

ldd cataclysm

libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x42688000)

libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x40030000)

libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x40105000)

libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x4017b000)

libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4018e000)

/lib/ld-linux.so.3 (0x40000000)

But it would probably be more sensible to build it for Pandora... does building in cdevtools really crash the pandora?

I have built it with my codeblocks pnd with no problem (takes 1/2 h I think).

I have it running on the pandora... Can do a PND if no one else do it.. I try to post a screenshot of the menu screen

*EDIT*

Here, a screenshot of the the gameplay: previews1.png

With a bigger font (size 13). If I choose bigger, rxvt choose to not listen to geometry parameter, and cataclysm wont start if it doesn't have his 25 lines...

Ahh, font size. If I can override that, I can get a fullscreen version running. Works fine now :)

Just need to find out where the terminal stores its settings.

D.

for rxvt, you can overide the font with -fn "xft:fontname" parameter. But for standard Terminal, I have no ideas.

Is this Cataclysm version in pandora the same as the most recent version of it for the pc or linux?

Why not testing yourself B)

cataclysm.roguelike.pnd

Here is a crude pnd. Just compiled and bundled with a terminal... It works.. Tell me if it's ok.

I think this game can be adapted, for the control in particular... but I won't do it.

Attachments

• cataclysm.roguelike.pnd
    4.1 MB · Views: 194
Back