case 3D files

dan3008

Ok, Long story short, I'm wanting to build a custom case for my pandora, with a draw on the front for my spare USB pens and SD cards, and battery I often have with my pandora. (and maybe a custom stylus slot too...)

In addition I want to add the L2 and R2 buttons mentioned in the hackers guide like in either N3Cr0's mod or Askarus's mod... I'd also like to include the light mod by Cube48 and if I'm feeling really rich, the rumble mod by mcobit (not that I can think of any software that would use it lol)

Now, to make this case, I really want to 3D print it. Since that'll be by far the easiest (cheapest) way to make it. However, I cant find the 3D case files needed... I know they are linked to from "The day the pandora goes even more open" but the link is broken. So i'm wondering if anyone else has the files about? I only really need to replace the bottom 1/2 of the case, I like the lid and screen surround as it is.

Cheers
Dan

--pre post edit (I realised this just before posting--

I have found TrashyMG's pandora mount which I guess I could make a similar design to make a draw underneath to hold everything, but doesnt help with the L2/R2 buttons or keyboard LED's...

My Pandora mount was pretty crudely designed by measuring the Pandora case. I'd admit I don't have great 3D modeling skills.

Thanks for that Trashy... Surprisingly that makes me feel more confident about making it myself :) I have no 3d Modelling skills. Actually thinking I might make a mount like that with a draw and just include a battery, switch and LED's for lighting But I still kinda really want the second shoulder buttons :D I know it would make my pandora a bit thicker to include a draw and second battery holder, but I still think its worth it :)

Thanks for the hint.
I did a quick look at it and would say while the files migth be usefull to "just" 3D print them, they are nearly unusable for redesigning things. To have usfull editable data I would say one has to redesign from ground up again. The stl data might be useful for that, but only in a way that all the relevant measurements are already there (as in knowing which cornerpoints to pick and build your own thing on that.

Might be it's even more usefull to have the data the aluminium case milling programm is based on (who did that again? and are those data available and under which licence?).
So conclusion from my point of view: Printing as it is might work good enought. Building something that "snaps on" it or extend it might be good enough, too. Bulding a modified case( -part) will need to redesign the part entirely by only using the needed measurements from the stl files. (and even that might not work. at least I didn't got it dirctly in freecad)

Most sadly, there is no 3d representation of the PCBs, battery and LCD+PCB, which would be very handy for redesign.

Thanks for the hint.
I did a quick look at it and would say while the files migth be usefull to "just" 3D print them, they are nearly unusable for redesigning things. To have usfull editable data I would say one has to redesign from ground up again.

Taking STL data and converting it back into a model in sketchup is a relatively easy task :) I'll have a play and see whats what :)

I was going to upload the files since I downloaded them but I figured I would try to see if archive.org had the page and they do. You can download the files here:

https://web.archive.org/web/2015090...page/articles.html/_/development/openhardware

Oh I havn't thought of simply store it in freecad again (me -> idiot). But I'd like to go the freeCAD way, since I'd like to learn that anyway (I was dreaming of a free CAD since the 90ies).

As for the design, I have to things in mind:
1) strech the two pockets in front an behind the battery, makes it possible to use a bigger battery directly instead of 2
2) maybe using the Lid is easier to design a second pocket..

Taking STL data and converting it back into a model in sketchup is a relatively easy task :) I'll have a play and see whats what :)
Ha, I recently tried to import the Pyra blend file through .stl into Autodesk 123D design. Importing was easy, converting the polygon based .stl object into an solid renderer object was not that easy, to many polygons, it hung up every time. And I already reduced the over-detailed Pyra Case Files to 10% of it's original polygons.
Maybe I should try (eww Google) Sketchup, Autodesk 123D Design is neat but it doesn't perform well, at least not with big, complex models like my recent dream House I designed.

I hope ED releases straight solid files of the Pyra too, like he did with the pandora case files.

1) strech the two pockets in front an behind the battery, makes it possible to use a bigger battery directly instead of 2
If you modify it the right amount, you could even make it compatible with the Pyra's battery, I believe. That's supposed to be the same thickness, just a little wider, I think I read.

If you modify it the right amount, you could even make it compatible with the Pyra's battery, I believe. That's supposed to be the same thickness, just a little wider, I think I read.
I'll have to look it up. Depends though, the Pyra's battery has the same out voltage and current, and same charging input then no reason why it shouldn't work

Back