Cannoo Point And Click Support.

Ulexes

Still Fresh
I was told a while ago that there are apps that will run the old Sierra point and click adventures... does anyone know if that is true and what they might be called? Please do not post links, I believe that violates board rules (if I'm wrong, please lat me know... just being over cautious)

Thanks guys!

What you're looking for is ScummVM. You'll need the original game data files. I think there's instructions in there somewhere on what to do with them. If you don't already own the original games, they can be purchased from gog.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
What you're looking for is ScummVM. You'll need the original game data files. I think there's instructions in there somewhere on what to do with them. If you don't already own the original games, they can be purchased from gog.com.

Awesome, thanks man! I do own a few of them, but I'm willing to bed the disks are scratched to hell and Back. I'm also going try to get my Step son into them, especially with Phoenix online trying to revive the Genre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to modify scumm so the screen is shrunk a little bit more from top to bottom, so we can hit the icons at the top of the screen on most sierra games easier? The plastic frame around the cannoo's screen blocks out some of the screen that you need to tap, for many games. (or is there a version out there that already does this)

It is doable, but frustrating most of the time, and often the wrong icon is tapped or doesn't register a hit. And i'm really not comfortable doing the "remove and file down the frame" method as shown be one owner, even if it does work. ;-)

Okay so i got SCUMMVM up and running... I have a copy of Kings Quest 6, which it says it supports... but I'm having a hell of a tim finding out which specific files it needs to run the game in SCUMM VM

the needed files list posted earlier has not been updated with the latest support (It was a HUGE help though. so Thank you :D )

ScummVM.org doesn't maintain a list of all the files needed to run SCI games (like King's Quest 6), I believe because of the massive variation between systems and even releases on a single system. If you click 'SCI' in the list from the above link, it says to just take everything from within the game directory. Which usually means you have to install the game if its a Windows/Dos version of the game. You may need DosBox on your PC to get through an install with something that old.

After you install, copy the installation directory to your SD card for your Caanoo, run ScummVM, add a game, navigate to and highlight the directory, and tap 'Add'. That should do it.

Wild curiousity, which version of ScummVM are you running? The 1.2.1 version is currently the latest (and I think only) "official" Caanoo build of ScummVM out, but I know there are several floating around that came from ScummVM.org's nightly build-bot, and a version that DJWillis put out recently for beta-testing his 1.4 build. Not all those versions are really that stable, so if you're using one, you may want to try the 1.2.1 version if all else fails.

*EDIT*
I ran my version KQ6 (DOS CD) and here's the list of files needed:
/ACTORS/
/SEQ/
420.HEP
420.SCR
425.HEP
425.SCR
460.HEP
460.SCR
470.HEP
470.SCR
65535.MAP
ADL.DRV
AUDBLAST.DRV
AUDCDROM.DRV
AUDDISNY.DRV
AUDMSSYS.DRV
AUDNONE.DRV
AUDPRO.DRV
AUDPRO16.DRV
AUDPS1.DRV
AUDTHUND.DRV
GENMIDI.DRV
HDLOGO.AVI
IBMKBD.DRV
IBMPS1.DRV
INSTALL.EXE
INSTALL.HLP
INSTALL.INI
INSTALL.INS
INSTALL.LGO
INSTALL.SCR
INSTALL.TXT
INTERP.ERR
INTERP.TXT
JOYSTICK.DRV
KQ6.BMP
KQ6CD
KQ6CD.BAT
MESSAGE.MAP
MICROSOF.DRV
MMAWARE.DLL
MT32.DRV
PROAUDIO.DRV
PROGLIB.DLL
RAVE.DLL
README
RESOURCE.000
RESOURCE.AUD
RESOURCE.CFG
RESOURCE.MAP

I think I'm running the one DJwillis put out. I got it from OPenhandhelds dot org. And so far i got KQ5 AND 6 running flawlessly so far. I ended up adding the games with ALL the files from teh game in the foler and it worked... I'm assuming this will jstu take up space on my card as so far they're both running pretty smoothly.

Thank all you guys for your help. I've said it before I'll say it again, this Forum has been a HUGE help.

Okay, so far here are a couple quirks i noticed -

It's hard to click near the edge of teh screen. I'm guessing this is due to the bezel like everyone says... i get around it by using the analog Stick when neccissary. I also tried tweking the touch calibration... that seemed to help.

Small screen makes it hard to click on tiny objetcs... but... hey... whaddya gonna do...?

okay crazier question... is there Keyboard support for the Caanoo? I would love to be able to use a roll up USB keyboard and play some old text based adventures.

NM... answered my own question again. And Yes SCUMMVM does support a USB keyboard... Quest for glory, here I come.

Back