Can The Sd Card Overheat?

Drak

fff
Website
Visit site
Well I have come to the conclusion that my gp2x's SD card overheats sometimes orsomething along those lines. I notice when my gp2x froze at one point and then when I tried to boot it several times it froze. I then booted it without the SD card in and it worked fine after I pushed it in on the menu ^^

The reason why is that when I pulled the fella out he was quite warm. Its not something that bugs me that much but I want to know if its a bad thing it overheats or is it just my imagination.

By the way guys my batteries work fine now.. The c106 capacitator [w/e it is..] however broke.... So I just took a normal low current Resistor, soldered it in there (covered with electrical tap to prevent tapping) and it works fine now. Hell it seems to work better haha.

I get 3.5-7hours out of my 2500mah energizers... Yes 7 [This was only one day though .. underclocked at 100mhz with the basic gp2x mplayer mp3s 64kb playback.]

I usually get 4.5hours out of the things though.

Never heard of the SD card getting hot, in well anything.

Some gp2x's do crash on bootup with an a weird/bad sd card, but the fact your sd card is hot, is not good.

The SD card can get quite warm, but I don't think thats the reason for your 2X refusing to boot.

I think it's more to do with GPH's dodgy SD card handling that it sometimes crashes on bootup, for the same reasons that it sometimes manages to find firmware updates on a completely blank card...

Mmhm.. So what about when my gp2x crashes during mp3 playback and/or apps like emulators?
I use the normal mplayer for my music since Oldplay doesnt work right with my 64kbps music [plays too fast, plus the underclocking is 150mhz, rather than 100 -.-]

I know it isnt my batteries since they last longer after I reboot it. Plus.. when my batteries die I hear a lame sound come from my headphones with the fuzzynes on the screen.

Is it because its trying to mount the sd or something.. I dont know really but im going to wait untill the new firmware comes out before I put write protect on. [new mplayer hopefully/source to it]

I know my SD card is hot when i finished transfering big files from my card reader

You replaced a capacitor with a resistor? I obviously fail to see the logic.

Drak posted on Apr 21 2006 at 03:12 AM said:
Plus.. when my batteries die I hear a lame sound come from my headphones with the fuzzynes on the screen.
That's normal, and probably the greatest thing about dead batteries :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My GP2X sometimes doesn't boot either. Then I remove both batteries, put them back in, and the GP2X works perfectly again.

Sometimes I wonder that nobody complains about the GP2X. It's a nice handheld with great capabilities, but man, there are crashing more GP2X's a day then cars :)

And then, how it crashes! It gives me the creeps... Altough, every time it crashes, it crashes another way :) Very Original :D

That's why I love it!

My gp2x used to not boot as well, about once in every five tries. But then I upgraded to theoddbot's firmware, and not only is my boot time faster, but I've never hung at booting once!

Gee... that sounds like a dishwashing liquid commercial... but it's true!

chris_r posted on Apr 21 2006 at 11:46 AM said:

wow good catch, lets just hope it is a typo.

As for the gp2x running out of batteries, it always freaks me out too (I did brick a unit so it brings back bad memories). The fact it does it differently each time and you can never see that dumb dim red battery light that like never works, just adds to the freakyness.

chris_r posted on Apr 21 2006 at 09:46 AM said:

Yes. I dont got any spare capacitors laying around so yeah... It boots 100% Now without the SD card in it so I think my unit runs fine. Its a very high quality one that acme fro mschool in a electronics kit, unfortunately I dont remeber how to read the rings on it... rofl

It never freezes with oldplay running untill the batteries die out. So I know its fine.

Are you fing kiding me, you just decided to replace a compacitor with a resistor you can not even read?

Hey I have taken only 1 year of electronics, but common, thats crazy.

EDIT: ok well maybe it might work, but I still don't trust it

reallynotnick posted on Apr 21 2006 at 07:08 PM said:
Are you fing kiding me, you just decided to replace a compacitor with a resistor you can not even read?

Sometimes that is appropriate; but you should really know the value of the cap or resistor you're replacing and use the correect replacement. Some caps are really nonessential (e.g. an array of capacitors to smooth out pulsating DC), others are extremely important and the device cannot operate properly without them .. this one was probably less essential. I'm not positive of the function of that cap, as I don't have any sort of schematic of the '2x nor one open in front of me. But the resistor he put down where the cap was, may in essence be doing about the same function in the end.

Really though, that is terribly bad practice...

Epicenter posted on Apr 21 2006 at 05:37 PM said:
reallynotnick posted on Apr 21 2006 at 07:08 PM said:

Sometimes that is appropriate; but you should really know the value of the cap or resistor you're replacing and use the correect replacement. Some caps are really nonessential (e.g. an array of capacitors to smooth out pulsating DC), others are extremely important and the device cannot operate properly without them .. this one was probably less essential. I'm not positive of the function of that cap, as I don't have any sort of schematic of the '2x nor one open in front of me. But the resistor he put down where the cap was, may in essence be doing about the same function in the end.

Really though, that is terribly bad practice...

Of course I asked my brother what to do about it.. He said it should be fine as its a low read one or something like that.. Forget whyat he said xD

The unit worked without the resistor in anyway.. It just shut off randomly sometimes though o_O

Back