Can The Caanoo Emulate The Nintendo Ds?

No, I don't believe so.

Even if it could, you wouldn't be able to get decent speeds. Even PC and Wii DS emulators have lots of problems... I ran DSMume on my Wii. It ran Mario Kart at 10% speed!

There's also the problem of there only being one screen...

sebt3 said:
The DS have 2 screens and they wont fit on the caanoo screen.
So I wouldnt raise too much hope.

This ^

The DS's two screens would be the biggest hurdle here, I'm afraid. There's just not enough room on the Canoe's display to show them both.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunny said:
sebt3 said:
The DS have 2 screens and they wont fit on the caanoo screen.
So I wouldnt raise too much hope.

This ^

The DS's two screens would be the biggest hurdle here, I'm afraid. There's just not enough room on the Canoe's display to show them both.

D.

I think it may be achieved by either scaling the screens down, or using buttons to toggle which screen is displayed. Of course, the latter option will render certain games that use both screens at the same time, like Space Invaders Extreme 2, for example, virtually unplayable.

I think it may be achieved by either scaling the screens down, or using buttons to toggle which screen is displayed. Of course, the latter option will render certain games that use both screens at the same time, like Space Invaders Extreme 2, for example, virtually unplayable.
yes, i think too ;)
but technically, is possible?

kayuz said:
yes, i think too ;)
but technically, is possible?

Once you get over the problem of the screens, anything is possible I would have thought. Does the canoe have TV-Out? Can it be used as a top-screen, with the bottom (touch) screen on the canoe?

D.

Once you get over the problem of the screens, anything is possible I would have thought. Does the canoe have TV-Out? Can it be used as a top-screen, with the bottom (touch) screen on the canoe?

D.
uhm, interesting ;)
but I would think the screen of the caanoo is enough;
I saw that, for example, nds emulator for android, whic have the same screen and it is enough :)

kayuz said:

D.
uhm, interesting ;)
but I would think the screen of the caanoo is enough;
I saw that, for example, nds emulator for android, whic have the same screen and it is enough :)

Really? The Canoe screen is what, 320x240? Each screen on the DS is 256x192. The only way you could get both screens on at once is to scale one or both of them. I'm sorry, but until we solve the problem of displaying both screens on the Canoe, we're not going to see any DS emulation :(

D.

uhm, in total will be 512x384 :( ... but my phone is 320x480, and is rended very well, yes slowly, but it run ;)
i thinks the solution will be underscaled the two screens, like the 3ds do with ds games if you want (i think it underscaled of 1.5 pixel)
so like this?
imageview.php

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=ul5zrjui2zeiyce&thumb=4

kayuz said:
uhm, in total will be 512x384 :( ... but my phone is 320x480, and is rended very well, yes slowly, but it run ;)
i thinks the solution will be underscaled the two screens, like the 3ds do with ds games if you want (i think it underscaled of 1.5 pixel)
so like this?
imageview.php

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=ul5zrjui2zeiyce&thumb=4

Your phone has double the vertical resolution (rotated 90 degrees for the Canoe) so downscaling isn't much of an issue, especially with a decent filter to smooth out the missing pixels. The Canoe on the other hand has to lose a huge amount of pixels in order to fit both screens at once; no amount of filtering will get around that.

I'm afraid that NDS emulation on the canoe isn't possible unless we get this screen issue sorted.

D.

screen size is a small part of the problem actually.
Sure downscalling one of the 2 screens isnt the easiest things to do but GLES will help greatly here.
The real issue is performance. You have 2 CPUs to emulate, a gpu, a sound chip ...
A pandora doesnt have the guts to run a DS emulator say one of the main emu gurus around here. If the pandora cannot do it, I dont think the caanoo will. (beside performance differences, the pandora screen would allow to display both screen without scalling. And scalling cost a lots of performances.....)

EDIT:
@kayuz: 256x192 two times is either 256x384 or 512x192. In 512x384 you can fit 4 DS screen.

@Dunny : the "screen issues" is way more funny within the pandora community :D

screen size is a small part of the problem actually.
Sure downscalling one of the 2 screens isnt the easiest things to do but GLES will help greatly here.
The real issue is performance. You have 2 CPUs to emulate, a gpu, a sound chip ...
A pandora doesnt have the guts to run a DS emulator say one of the main emu gurus around here. If the pandora cannot do it, I dont think the caanoo will. (beside performance differences, the pandora screen would allow to display both screen without scalling. And scalling cost a lots of performances.....)

EDIT:
@kayuz: 256x192 two times is either 256x384 or 512x192. In 512x384 you can fit 4 DS screen.

@Dunny : the "screen issues" is way more funny within the pandora community
ops :lol:
anyway i think too the big problem is the performance, my android mobile is running nds very slow, and is 600 mhz and 512 mb of ram...
but it believe this emu isn't optimized for the specifical phone, but for android cellular in general
for the caanoo, i think an optimized emulator can run nds, but i don't think playable, so 5-6 fps for second
the screen problem is another obstacle, but trough TV-OUT for caanoo http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,114,597 i think is possible to solve, you on caanoo control the TOUCH SCREEN, and on TV you see the upper screen, no? let's see is it possible to enamble on the code... ;)

sebt3 said:

@Dunny : the "screen issues" is way more funny within the pandora community :D

Awwwww, you ruined my fun! Boo to you, Seb :)

D.

a solution like this?? the psp can run nds, and isn't much powerful then the caanoo :blink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fie-9E4PnyE

kayuz said:
a solution like this?? the psp can run nds, and isn't much powerful then the caanoo :blink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fie-9E4PnyE
gpsp was born on PSP. When Exophase released it, many though it was an hoax as they though emulating the same generation handheld (GBA) on a handheld (PSP) was impossible.
Exo still have a wonderfull reputation on the web because of this.

While I'm able to believe that gpsp exist, this "unnamed" emulator dont exist, or it have to be written by Exophase :D but I know it's not.

This video is just someone playing a desktop nds emu and using the windows remote control tool for psp ;)

even a 286 can emulate the nintendo ds but there's no point in making a version for it since it will run to slow, so your question should be if the caanoo can handle it full speed. since everyone knows the 286 won't be able to run it full speed the same goes for caanoo emulating the ds. besides as was mentioned before where would you get the 2nd screen (or the required resolution on a single screen) it's kinda pointless to even begin on such project

A Canoo can not emulate a more powerful or equal platform even though the Dreamcast could in theory emulate a PSX. The only way rand achieved this was by doing single game emulation. Remember the Tekken 3, Metal Gear and Ridge Racer discs? In theory this would be the only way to go if you want decent speed on a game. Make an emulator for each. Still it's not guaranteed it will provide any speed to the game.

Back