Can Someone Please Correct Me If I Am Wrong?

MWeston

Internal Development
Website
openpandora.ca
Maybe someone has read about this or likes to do patent searches.

Isn't the slide out keyboard patented already in multiple countries?

Thanks for the link. Now, with that many search returns in one simple query, doesn't it seem fair to understand why the clamshell design was the best choice to put a keyboard inside of? I hope people can understand this and work towards designing their favorite exposed keypad, rather than bitching about how it doesn't look like their favorite phone. :)

It's okay if people still hate it and I am taking notes on all of the little suggestions for color changes, split keyboards, adding more keys, and stuff like that. I really wish the design could have been posted much earlier so people had even more time to pick it apart but I think there is still another month of time available for small tweaks until we need to commit to the injection molds. Making sure the game controls feel very smooth and natural is the biggest concern for me as far as external layout is concerned.

Although to be fair, most of the ideas for where to store the keyboard were along the lines of "X-style <link>" in the suggestions phase.

And if we're styling it on something else, then we're hardly being innovative since the idea has already been implemented. The question, though (and I think it would be fair to argue) is whether such a design is non-obvious or not. Some of the more elaborate mechanisms certainly are, but the simpler ones seem like fairly obvious ideas, that, faced with the same obstacle, most people would use (or at least, consider).

But that doesn't mean someone would't sue you out of business even still - just in quantity of legal fees rather than validity of argument :(.

MWeston said:
I really wish the design could have been posted much earlier so people had even more time to pick it apart but I think there is still another month of time available for small tweaks until we need to commit to the injection molds.
What stopped you to post the Design earlier? ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
MWeston said:
I really wish the design could have been posted much earlier so people had even more time to pick it apart but I think there is still another month of time available for small tweaks until we need to commit to the injection molds.
What stopped you to post the Design earlier? ^_^

Well, agreement within the group on features, getting dimensions done so renders could be made and stuff like that.

Also getting datasheets so I could design the PCB and make sure everything would fit was a major factor! When I read some people's comments on things and where to move them, I think in my head "but there is a chip under there! where would I move it?" :)

MWeston said:
Well, agreement within the group on features, getting dimensions done so renders could be made and stuff like that.

Also getting datasheets so I could design the PCB and make sure everything would fit was a major factor! When I read some people's comments on things and where to move them, I think in my head "but there is a chip under there! where would I move it?" :)
I remember a post suggesting there were problems getting it to fit into the chosen sized case and design. How has that turned out and are we all good now?

Pete.

MWeston said:
When I read some people's comments on things and where to move them, I think in my head "but there is a chip under there! where would I move it?"
I have a radical idea. add 1-2 USB ports, and design a keyboard thats thin, stacks with the device possibly gets stuck with magnets, or clips, and get that much more design space. Then you might be able to put the gaming controls where they need to go to be properly useful, and can make a equally useful keyboard. I cant stress this enough. If this is not to be a major miss-calculation, loss of money, time and effort, you need to make up your mind. Is this, or is it not, primarily for gaming on emulators relying on simple controls. If you go with "no, this is to be a full PDA, with the best hardware anyone ever sold, being 100% capable to replace any laptop out of the box, and just happens to have a gamepad built in"... I got news for you. It's not going to fly regardless of how great the performance are. The PDA market, and enthusiast gamers meet in a very rare few persons.

Someone really wanting a PDA, is going to get one with a touchscreen on the front, not a clamshell, where he can use a software text recognition system, and write his text, or a onscreen keyboard. If it happens to have a keyboard, its a slide out, and someone pays the royalties needed for that.The PDA fella wants something he can hold in 1 hand, and flick through with the "pen." He wants it loaded with a calender, a diary, notebook, and a few other "important softwares" and if he then can install 1-2 custom things, he just might do that. To him, a headset, and MP3 functions is a bonus.

The gamer, want something he can actually play games on. If he needs a keyboard, he needs a full keyboard.It has to support a load of buttons being pressed at he same time, and not crap out coz some 3 button combo doesn't work. He wants sound, and a propper "game pad" when he goes for gaming with that.

Being able to combine this, takes a few things you guys don't have access to. A big patent portfolio, and being able to trade around with those who owns the rights you need, or a lot of money, so you simply can by a license to use them.Doing what your doing now, will get you about them buyers who voted "great, where can i pre order" coz nobody else will go for it. (Actually, to support a second generation without a keyboard, ever being developed, i have 2 friends who are complete freaks and just have to have any gadjet with a few lights and buttons on, I'll show em this, and when you run out of sales, maybe you make a cheap version, without the keyboard... But why not start there?
If, just if, it is a huge benefit factor to have a keyboard on this device, make one model without it, and sell it... Manufacture a small series so you don't end up with a storage-house full of stuff you cant sell later... Then, when sales start to slow down, use the money you made, and make a identical hardware, with a keyboard added. This is what, 3-6 months later?Save some of the money, and 2-3 years later, make both, with updated hardware. Just make sure they always are identical to the software. The one with a keyboard, the software says "ok, generic 103-104 keys, USB keyboard" And the one without, has a USB port to hook just a such up.

I'm perhaps ranting, but fact is, nobody i showed it to, gamer, or PDA hunting said "I'll replace what i got with this." Listen carefully, i put up a theoretical scenario, offering to trade there current gaming console, or PDA for this. NOBODY went for it. the one who got closest was my father, 50 years old, and then to replace his 5 year old laptop, with a few sticky keys, that really aren't supposed to be sticky. If your asking me, thats not the best response on a test... (I haven't tested in the thousands, only in the 25-30 persons area, and they have been chosen on a criteria, they all know me, or have known of me, for quite some time)
B!

On the flip side, you could easily ask the same of the appeal to the Asus EEE laptop.

- It only comes with a 'cut-down' version of Linux
- Very small screen and resolution compared to a standard laptop
- Small battery life (~3hrs)
- Underpowered

Yet they are selling like hot cakes because there is that niche market gap.

Mr B said:
Lot of text
Any who exactly did you ask? And what did you say? If you said "would you want to exchange this for your present pda?" the answer would most defiantly be no. If you however said "would you exchange your pda for this gadget which has the same functionality of a full tablet laptop, but even more portable and also doubles as a gaming machine? Do note that you can connect to the internet with it to basically do anything you would on your normal PC. All for under £200". You would most defiantly get more positive answers. I've asked 10ish people about it (with various interests and priorities) and only 1 did not want it. 3 where sceptical at first due to the design, but when they found out what it could do, they where sold. Funny enough, my girlfriend wanted one even before I told her about the specs.

The main reason I wanted a slide-out keyboard was so that it could be tucked away and be unobtrusive for touchscreen-only use. If you're using a clamshell design, I would hope for a swivelling screen for the same reason. I understand people's concerns about durability, but it's been done before and other devices have handled well (such as the Zaurus). Perhaps it would be more durable if there were a locking mechanism to prevent the screen from turning unexpectedly? Just an idea.

Ravnos said:
The main reason I wanted a slide-out keyboard was so that it could be tucked away and be unobtrusive for touchscreen-only use. If you're using a clamshell design, I would hope for a swivelling screen for the same reason. I understand people's concerns about durability, but it's been done before and other devices have handled well (such as the Zaurus). Perhaps it would be more durable if there were a locking mechanism to prevent the screen from turning unexpectedly? Just an idea.
B) I am totally with you here. I would want some kind of setup where if I am only using the touch screen on some kind of program then I could either tuck away the keyboard or swivel the screen on top of the controls. some kind of setup where I can have comfortable tablet access to the screen.

Alright, after playing day of catchup and reading everyones thought I would like to summarize my thought on Pandora's design

- Didn't like it initially, until seeing a better render of the black mockup, it looks damn good

- Of course, I assume that the screen is back away enough and with a spacing frame around the edge of the screen lid a' la the DS light, that its not going to come in contact with everything else, and the backlight won't attract as much dust during play and closing of the lid.

- The screen resolution is something worth playing around with

- I hope the speakers have that sound capacity of something like the F-200 but with better control over the volume

- The button pressed check limit should only really apply to the face buttons it doesn't really matter how many keys on the keyboard you can press at once since its sorta the same for all mobile keyboards.

- when using the touchscreen, you are pretty much holding the device by the top lid, rather uncomfortable but if it can fold back to a straight up and down position and locked to the laptop position as what it looks like in the renders, it would take some of the bottom weight making it more comfortable to hold and easier to keep at eye level.

Yuglooc said:
Any who exactly did you ask? And what did you say? If you said "would you want to exchange this for your present pda?" the answer would most defiantly be no. If you however said "would you exchange your pda for this gadget which has the same functionality of a full tablet laptop, but even more portable and also doubles as a gaming machine? Do note that you can connect to the internet with it to basically do anything you would on your normal PC. All for under £200". You would most defiantly get more positive answers.
I somehow doubt an actual list of who i asked would make any difference. I asked people who use PDA's or laptops daily, and look to replace what they got. Most use them as a part of there work, but not all. I fully explained the hardware, and the fact that it is a open platform, so that not only will it have a lot of software available from the net, but also will continue to develop new softwares as time goes. By now i must have asked at least 50-60 different persons, and by now i think i have 5 people that are slightly interested, but most likely wont get it due to the keyboard not being enough of a keyboard. Those are more likely to pick up a laptop, or one of the very few clamshell PDA's with a full set of keys on the keyboard. And, pretty much everyone is very interested until i show the renderings and tell them that this is a final design. Should the design change, I'll have to go back, and say "I'm sorry, but i guess i lied, they did change the design" but for the result to be remotely interesting i need a "not interested" or "yes, getting it" which i wont get with a "they might redesign it"

And, i would be the first to admit this isn't even remotely a scientific test. I don't feel it being as bad as completely untrustworthy either. Offcourse some people will buy it, as i said elsewhere, i know at least one guy who will get it just coz it has buttons and lights. It being something useful isn't exactly his main priority when he goes shopping. I could even say this would be a great developer machine, but that the none developer version needs some major changes, and the easy one would be remove the keyboard, and put the gaming controls more player friendly. As a gaming device this has no competition. But then gaming has to be the top priority, which it clearly hasn't been.
B!

I find it odd that the design is that much of a turn off for ~50 people. I be interested to hear their reasons why the design is the sole reason not to get one. Are they all style conscious or cannot imagine what it would physically be like to use?

@ mr b: how the hell do you know the gaming controls are unfriendly? do you have one? seriously. your survey sounds like was chock full of your opinion while explaining it, so your results are completely usless. also, this is not designed to be a laptop replacement or a business device.

Back