Can I Use A Smc Reader/writer To Format A Smc Card

matt goode

Website
Visit site
hi do u rekon that i could us emy smc card reader/ writer (cumin wiv my gp32) to format my memory card? i have a mac so i really need this to work!!!!!

In my experience, the card doesn't like to work on my gp32 once formatted on the pc. There is mac software available though. Search around. Or borrow a pc to format, once it's formatted you should be able to use the card reader for anything else after that.

I have 3 SMCs. The first I formatted with PC-Link, the second two with my PC via a card reader (Lexar 6-in-1), all of them work just fine for me.

In fact, I haven't had my GP32 connected to my PC since I first got it, I use the card reader for everything.

Just make sure you format it for FAT16. FAT32/NTFS (which are the default filesystems in modern versions of Windows) will definitely NOT work.

Morwynd posted on Dec 10 2004 at 01:07 AM said:
I have 3 SMCs. The first I formatted with PC-Link, the second two with my PC via a card reader (Lexar 6-in-1), all of them work just fine for me.

In fact, I haven't had my GP32 connected to my PC since I first got it, I use the card reader for everything.

Just make sure you format it for FAT16. FAT32/NTFS (which are the default filesystems in modern versions of Windows) will definitely NOT work.

Fat 16 works???
As read over dozens of threads and experienced myself, it doesn`t.
You only can format it using your gp32 (through pacrom,, for example and many other fw`s)
The gp32 is using a special fat format, can`t remeber the number. Search the board, you will find many many threads about this topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it needs FAT 12 for sure?

When you say format the card with the GP32, do I do this with software (I saw mention of Pacrom) or do I hook the GP up with the PClink and run some software on the PC, using the GP as the writer, to format it?

I've always read that it handles both FAT12 and FAT16. Eg: http://www.devrs.com/gp32/files/gp32devfaqs.php#SMCFormat

The gp32 supports both FAT12 & FAT16 file formats.

However, now that I think about it, I believe you're right... I didn't use the card reader to format it, I used PacROM from the MultiFirmware. I just knew it wasn't with PC-Link... I hate hooking that cable up. ;)

According to DarkFader from http://darkfader.net/gp32/
When you format with Windows using an SMC to PC card adapter, it could end up partitionless and a strange formatting so devices like GP32 will not be able to read any of it."
(Emphasis mine) Not sure what he means by "could", but seems much better to use PC-Link or format it with a firmware function such as provided by PacROM or Slubman's.

Unless you got a bad unit and can't use new firmware :(

I hope the BLU I just ordered is not one of these :(

matt goode posted on Dec 9 2004 at 09:54 PM said:
hi do u rekon that i could us emy smc card reader/ writer (cumin wiv my gp32) to format my memory card? i have a mac so i really need this to work!!!!!

Good grief! Could you at least try to type correctly??

Anyway, I'm surprised no one has suggested that you simply create the 6 folders you need directly, no need to format:

GPMM
MP3
GPSYS
GPETC
GAME
MOVIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Just format using the card reader and create the directories as shown above. If that doesn't work, then use the "SMC Recovery" option - all known firmwares have this (or have another firmware embedded which have this). This has always worked in the past for me after formatting via a card reader.

Back