Buying Xbox

meandu229

Zubeman
Website
www.zubeonline.com
Ok i want a xbox so i can chuck a new hdd in and use it for dvds movies mp3s etc, anyone got one they dont want anymore,, how much,,

I didnt know wether to put this in market place or other consoles, but market place said for gp related selling/buying so i put it here,,

put it in market place
and, for the hell of it, get a new one
Youll be spending money on a used one thats still gonna run close to 150, but had NUMEROUS HOURS of spin time and laser burning, and you wont get the newest revision
Get a new one, youll get the latest revision ( 1.6a or b ) which is faster and stable-er and less prone to bad issues of the first ones ( overheating )
so, just get a new one, get a good HDD, and then replace the HDD cable with an ATA100 cable
youll have a real nice Xbox

~Octavious

It's not less prone to overheating. If anything I've heard the majority of newer boxes have a smaller fan. Second hand is also easier to mod, and you can flash the tsop if you get an older box (the 1.6/1.6b doesn't have a tsop).

It'll be easier, and cheaper for you to buy an older xbox. 1.6bs have had problems for modders and I'd try and avoid them if you're planning on modding.

The newer ones aren't more stable at all.

If you really want a good Xbox, dont go used
The new revisions won't overheat
the fans push more CFM's than the old ones, and I believe there was something rewritten on the board about fan control, but I am not sure on that last part
Halo 2 plays smoother on my friends 1.6a than my other friends version one he got on release day of the Xbox
plus it takes like 2-3 minutes less to rip a CD, and 20-30 seconds less to load a Morrowind save

~Octavious

All that's re-written on the fans is that they won't read the temps correctly on the dashes on 1.6 upwards. They won't overheat but the earlier ones have better cooling still. If something runs smoother or rips faster, I expect it's the dvd drive, not the version of the xbox. I've been lucky and had only samsung drives in my xboxs (got a couple spair right now actually).

I wouldn't go solderless still, although if you're desperate I have a solderless adapter I could sell you for the postage price. It's very easy to solder the chips in on 1.4 and under boxes anyway.

Edit: Again, the saving you say that takes longer will be the different HDD, not the version of xbox you have.

but, Id still prefer a new one
less burn time on the laser/motor, the fans push more CFM's
and, yes, get a nice HDD with a ATA100 cable and a soldered one
if I ever get a second Xbox, thats what I am doing

~Octavious

I have a v1.0 xbox, bought it the day they released in the US. I've never had problems with overheating or really, any problems with it at all.

I did softmod mine, which is, modding it without actually using a chip, but using a hacked gamesave that boots the Xbox into linux, thus allowing ftp access to the system and installation of all the same stuff you can do with a chip. However, softmodding isn't for everybody, and if you're planning on going with a bigger HD, you'd probably be better off using a chip, as HD setup is easier this way. I kept the stock HD and filled it up with emus and games, so it worked better for me. Chipping is also better if you have any intentions of playing on XB Live.

Personally, I say, save yourself a few bucks and hunt down a used one. If you've just got to have a new one, you're probably better off buying a premodded one. The price is a bit steep, but this way you don't have to deal with the hassles of the newer units.

when amazon FINALLY sends me my crossover cable, I'm going to softmod mine. I really can't wait! N64 emulation, that just blows my mind!

yuh, everything that a chip does can be done using a modified bios. Softmodding is a way of re-writting the x-box bios using only software hacks, much like flashing your gp32 to a different firmware

if you softmod it do not ever delete anyting on your c:\ part.

its one hella multimedia box though, i had not been in the console race since the mega drive and the one thing i remember when i saw metal slug i knew that the xbox would be my lover for the rest of my life.

Back