Brainwashing Was A Fun Idea

Don't watch if you have epilepsy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5513097972897939612#

Highly enjoyable early nineties rave video, and orgasm of Amiga special effects.

It's a shame this kind of thing doesn't work. I'd really love to alter the state of my brain just by watching coloured patterns!

I find the only way to influence somebody is to engage their mind, which this video doesn't do - just a bit of a history lesson accompanied by pictures of skulls (as cool and retro as that is). I think as you get older, become more exposed to ideas and ways of thinking, it's harder for anything to leave an impression on you. Maybe this video actually gave young ravers something to think about?

Watching it, the monologue seems to be calling out for Youtube, which we now have. Of course, it's sadly not the utopia of peace and understanding and human unity that may have been dreamed of... infact, the internet seems to be a breeding ground for groupthink, or an arena for opinion. Yeah, it really brought us together!

I do agree that we create our own realities though. The internet itself is a sort of reality in the way that we choose to suspend disbelief and engage people within it. The written word itself requires imagination etc.

Fun video though.

lulzfish said:
I saw an old guy talking to me with bad and annoying reverb, so I instinctively stopped the video.
I hoped it would be a demoscene or something?

You need to open your mind to radical ideas. New digital technologies can help you achieve that... talk to your fellow human beings in the global village.

One second... just looking for a brainwashing video to make you like the first one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orion4874 said:
Wow, I have a plaque on my desk with the opening line from that clip. "The natural state of the brain is chaos" - Timothy Leary

Small world!!!

I was just reading his theory of the 'eight circuits of the mind', which seemed quite reasonable and well thought out... until he started talking about paranormal crap. I think my face literally grimaced at that. It was kind of like when you have a really intelligent discussion with someone - say at a party, but then as soon as they feel comfortable talking to you they turn the subject to something completely stupid, like crap conspiracy theories. At that point you realise that the apparently intelligent person you're talking to is a complete nutter.

Evolved systems in the mind is a valid theory, and I think is partly supported by current neuroscience. He went too far by applying it to aliens and telepathy though.

Don't do LSD kids!

SomeGuy99 said:
Orion4874 said:
Wow, I have a plaque on my desk with the opening line from that clip. "The natural state of the brain is chaos" - Timothy Leary

Small world!!!

I was just reading his theory of the 'eight circuits of the mind', which seemed quite reasonable and well thought out... until he started talking about paranormal crap. I think my face literally grimaced at that. It was kind of like when you have a really intelligent discussion with someone - say at a party, but then as soon as they feel comfortable talking to you they turn the subject something completely stupid, like rubbish conspiracy theories or something. At that point you realise that the apparently intelligent person you're talking to is a complete nutter.

Evolved systems in the mind is a valid theory, and I think is partly supported by current neuroscience. He went too far by applying it to aliens and telepathy though.

Don't do LSD kids!
Ever read the Psychedelic Experience by him? Very interesting read if your into subjects of that sort. He compares an LSD trip to the dying experience as described in the Tibetan Book of the Dead.
His former colleague from Harvard, Richard Alpert a.k.a. Ram Dass, is somewhat of a hero of mine. Own every book of his.

Orion4874 said:
Ever read the Psychedelic Experience by him?

It sounds interesting, but come on - aliens? Telepathy? :lol:

It's hard to take him seriously.

SomeGuy99 said:
Orion4874 said:
Ever read the Psychedelic Experience by him?

It sounds interesting, but come on - aliens? Telepathy? :lol:

It's hard to take him seriously.
Yeah, at some point he did go over the edge. Probably took those "experiments" he started at Harvard a little too far! Hard to believe he was once a professor at one of the most prestigious schools in the U.S.

Kind of puts me off ever touching LSD. ;)

Personally, I research drugs heavily before putting them into my system. As a result, I decided against the majority of recreational drugs.

I would consider doing mushrooms though - they seem pretty safe. Unless you're Timothy Leary and take it all too seriously that is ;)

Going back to the original topic for a minute: I don't think you can ever completely influence someone to an idea they wouldn't be receptive towards. So for example, people who buy into the countercutural 'mindhacking' idea are those who it appeals to. I guess that... effectively, every idea or message has an audience - however large or small. All you can do is strongly advertise or promote that idea in order to influence people.

In the '90s we had FAR better music, FAR better clothes and FAR better rappers. Also we had the KLF. Watch and weep children as the JAMMs meet Tammy Wynette and sing about licensed street vending opportunities.

This would never happen today.

Enjoy :)

An excellent example of '90s style.

In the '90s the bass player lead the band. As it should be.

Those other two are just hitting stuff that is vaguely in key and/or time. The bassist nailed it.

Back