Booting Ångström From An Sdhc Card?

Grench

Forum Addict!
Reading another thread about how to load files from the Ångström repository onto the OpenPandora console and how things would wind up swamping the NAND I started thinking...

The following are ideas only. Not to be confused with good or great ideas, they are an exercise in thought. If you're expecting great ideas please continue scrolling through other threads.

If we wanted to -dedicate- an SDHC card in slot 1 to the OS, would there be any reason -not- to split the install so that it boots from NAND and then hits the SDHC card for /home and /opt and any other normal install point?

What about installing the whole Ångström OS to the SDHC card then using the NAND as a /swap partition?

Under the above scenarios, would we still be able to drop .PND files onto the SDHC card? (I think so...)

The next bit is how to customize the image - I have no idea how to do this under the customized Ångström installation on the OpenPandora. I know that in setup/installation I can point the different component folders/directories to different devices. I'm assuming that I would be able to install Ångström in much the same way. In the above example, set the first SDHC card as / and the NAND as /SWAP - but then how would I install/patch/add in the customizations that the Pandora team has built into the NAND image?

What this would hopefully accomplish is to be able to install items more or less at will from the Ångström repository and use the PND system on the 2nd SDHC slot -and- anything that you copy or save to the right directory on the first SDHC.

This is all speculative for me. I figure I'm at least 2 months out from getting a Pandora - I ordered at the 7 day mark. I have my two 32GB class 10 SDHC cards ready to go though... Now back to my regularly scheduled waiting.

I'm very interested in this too, but I'm hoping to get my Pandora sooner than you :)

I've got a 16gb SDHC waiting to install Angstrom on, and I particularly would like to know the performance implications of doing this versus running from the NAND.

Also got an 8gb one waiting to stick Neuvoo on, as soon as I get my Pandora the first thing I'll be looking to do is mess around with OS. Any updates on the Pandora version of Neuvoo anyone?

Well, since we're starting with the next version of the firmware soon and will do beta testing, I can tell you:

It's as simple as formatting the card with EXT2, put an autoboot.txt with the correct bootparameters on the card and extract the rootfs there.
It will then boot from the card.

You can open a boot menu if you simply hold R while switching on.
This way you can also boot from that SD Card manually (just don't put an autoboot.txt there)

kaprikawn said:
I'm very interested in this too, but I'm hoping to get my Pandora sooner than you :)

I've got a 16gb SDHC waiting to install Angstrom on, and I particularly would like to know the performance implications of doing this versus running from the NAND.

Also got an 8gb one waiting to stick Neuvoo on, as soon as I get my Pandora the first thing I'll be looking to do is mess around with OS. Any updates on the Pandora version of Neuvoo anyone?

There is no distinction between Neuvoo and the different armv7a devices other then the kernel. In that aspect it is like Angstrom and it should "just work" on the Pandora. I am currently using Neuvoo 0.3.0_rc3 on both the Touchbook and Beagleboard. When I get a Pandora I will get that configured quickly and we will all be on our way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back