Boot problem, possible cause usb serial message on startup?

MarkoeZ

arr matey?
Website
projectinfinity.org.uk
Hiya,

I was testing my Pandora/MSP430 project, it was connected on startup of the pandora, and now suddenly the pandora boots, loading bar and all, but then it just switches to a blinking cursor and does not respond to anything but a hard reset (Pandora Button-Off switch.)

My thought: Might i have activated some usb serial mode by accidentally sending a random message over usb on startup? or do i have more serious problems?

I have already tried holding the right shoulder and booting explicitly in normal mode, but no fix

Downloading a reflash atm, should fix it, but if this is indeed the cause, it might occur more often and maybe there is a quick fix. I also should include some check MSP430 side before sending data over serial then.

Thanks,

MarkoeZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you mess with xorg.conf? Can you access framebufferconsole?

did nothing, just had my test setup connected on usb serial when things went bad, and rebooted. but since it does go into sleepmode when i don't touch it (blinkycursor disappears) i suspect it's just sending and receiving out/input elsewhere. It also stops exactly at the point you normally login. I'm a relative linux noob, but might it be that it's trying to get a login from serial or usb serial or something?

Edit: Oh and my pandora control program was running, but it was simply outputting "echo" system commands to ttyusb

Tried booting without SD Card?

You might want to wait for a few minutes, it might fallback to a shell login after a while and then you could check the logfiles.

Tried booting without SD Card?

You might want to wait for a few minutes, it might fallback to a shell login after a while and then you could check the logfiles.

I tried with and without both cards, with and without the serial module connected, left the battery out. No resolution.

Did a reflash now (was a hotfix and a half behind anyway), it was locked very long at one point on first startup ( 3 or 4 mins or something don't know if that's normal), but now everything seems to work again.

If it was indeed the case, it's bound to pop up again though.

I was mostly wondering if the receiving of a value over serial usb on startup could select another mode or something.

Thanks!

Back