Boomshine Web Game

Shirohagen

Brutal Deluxe
Website
richardho.lt
Just found this nice and disarmingly simple flash game online:

http://www.k2xl.com/games/boomshine/

Doesn't look like something which needs complicated source code just fleshing out a little. The basic mechanic could form the seed of a compelling little puzzler...

I can't code but I'd happily help with ideas and graphics if anyone fancied giving it a go...

Some other games on that site too...

®

it's quite addictive. I think this would be a project for alex as he is an abstract gfx god.

damn extender is quite a bit like it. You could essentially make boomshine by doing some simple mods to extender. Zoom it out way more, dont let the blocks kill the "launcher", make the explosion fields stay for much longer and change the scoring system so its based on how many explosions you make in relation to the quota for the level.

Well now that I played both this and Extender some more, I agree, they're slightly different, although they have a common core. Very fun games, both of them.

This seems like a very fun project, although I wonder how many circles SDL can handle at an acceptable speed, especially with alpha blending. Perhaps we could do away with alpha blending and still have a decent game. :) I'll give this a try this coming week, and see if I can get anything nice done.

Edit:

Nevermind, it looks like someone beat me to it.

Regarding the linked topic, isn't it kind of silly that the author is so uptight about 'clones', yet nowhere in the game's site or description does he mention Every Extend as an obvious inspiration?

Destructo2000 said:
Thank you Alex! Thank you! Very often a game I want never gets worked on so I appreciate it! I wish you the best of luck. (Mostly so I can play it :D )
You missed the edit by minutes :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
norm said:
Nagelfar said:
I would give this a shot, too, nice and easy to program.
sweet!!

I'll try this tonight in JAVA to see if SDL on the GP2x is fast enough to handle all those circles. If it is, me and/or Alex. can do it again in C++ if the need arises (meaning: for all the JAVA is slow Trolls out there).

I'm thinking about calling it Abstracto, what do you say?
Anyone up to contribute a titlescreen, music or soundeffects?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am happy to do graphics, if you need a title screen and icon or anything else ingame etc, PM me. I'm a graphic designer and would love to look at a great graphic style for it, I just can't code that's all...

®

Hi,
My name is Danny Miller. I'm the creator of Boomshine and founder of K2xL.com. I've been getting emails for permission to build a GP2X version of Boomshine, and I'm all for it.

I would like to help out as much as possible. Thus I have created a CVS for the game with the "latest source code".

http://k2xl.com/drupal/boomshine_gp2x

If you are interested in joining the developer group, please email me K2xL@K2xL.com

The developers will need players to test the game and report bugs on the site as well.

-Danny

*HarHarHar* Fungostar and me optimized the JAVA version today and right now there are no performance troubles :)
As soon as I get the music and sound effects I'll release the first three level beta :)

Nice work Nagelfar! It seems to run at a very good speed, and feels smooth.

Can't wait for updates, thanks a lot :)

Back