Blingo 2008 - W.i.p

ruckage

Certified Guru
Hello, just starting this topic to keep you informed of the progress being made on my new version Blingo.

blingosoonte7.jpg

This is a complete re-write of the code with some major new features and new graphics, the only image being re-used from the original is the cherub and even he has had some tidying up and has been completely re-coloured.

One of the new features I'm trying to incorporate is full touchscreen support, I feel the game is ideal for this so it makes sense to me to add it. Unfortunately I don't own an F200 unit and can't afford to buy one so if you're feeling generous and would like to donate some money to me you can visit my rather shabby website (I'll update it sometime) and use the donate button to send me some money through paypal. If I can raise enough to get the F200 then I will obviously be more inclined to make games that support the touchscreen, and it would also make it easier for me to develop and then test the touchscreen functions. I will keep you informed of the total amount donated (if any) in this post. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Click here to be taken to my website if you would like to donate.

Anyway, enough begging and onto a wip Blingo 2008 screen shot. The next image shows the profile selection screen, each profile you create stores your name, number of games played and personal best score. You may also notice that each profile has a small avatar which you design when you create the profile.

blingoprofilescreensl0.jpg

Apart from touch screen support and numerous other small changes and additions there is another major addition...... which I'm going to keep secret for the time being but may reveal in a few days time. Watch this space.

p.s If there are any new GP2X users who are unfamiliar with my games you can find them all on the archive, here are the direct links:

Ruckman, Sleuth Slots, Protozoa, Dastardly Dungeon,,Zoltan(not really a game but kind of fun) and of course the original version of Blingo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good.. blingo is a lot of fun, that and sleuth slots and ruckman are games I always recommend.

They also are why I get REALLY, REALLY angry when I read reviews like this one: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=40145

Blingo is gonna be GREAT with touchscreen.

awww.... good news! your games are great! and ruckage: why dont you program something like a "frontend" for your games, for someone who is having all of your games on the card?

bacteria said:
Good news. Could you please program it so it fits 320x240 pixels please - when I tested your previous version with TV out on my PSone screen it didn't show properly (part of the image was missing).
Hi, the original is 320X240 but it may be that the Fenix runtime included with that release wasn't TV-out compatible. You could try a different runtime to see if it fixes it. Blingo 2008 will come with one of the latest fenix runtimes so should hopefully be OK.

Senor Quack said:
Looks good.. blingo is a lot of fun, that and sleuth slots and ruckman are games I always recommend.

They also are why I get REALLY, REALLY angry when I read reviews like this one: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=40145

Blingo is gonna be GREAT with touchscreen.

Thanks very much :). I read that review and it made me extremely angry as well.

manhill said:
awww.... good news! your games are great! and ruckage: why dont you program something like a "frontend" for your games, for someone who is having all of your games on the card?
Hi and thanks. Not sure about doing a front end, certainly isn't high on my agenda. Apart from all being made by me the games are all unrelated. I did say though that if I made some more 'Fruit machine' simulators I would group those together with a front end.

I'm definitely looking forward to this (like any of your games). Keep up the good work. :)

bacteria said:
Good news. Could you please program it so it fits 320x240 pixels please - when I tested your previous version with TV out on my PSone screen it didn't show properly (part of the image was missing).
Yes, like ruckage said I think it's a problem with the runtime.
When I program in Fenix I usually compile two versions. One "regular" and one "tvout" version.. Basically the only difference is:

CODE
lores=0;
tvout=1;

loresX=320;
loresY=240;

And then lots of:
CODE
if (lores==1)
//code
end;

// ...

if (tvout==1)
//code
end;

I believe the "tvout" resolution is something similar to loresX-100 and loresY-10 but I can't remember from the top of my head at the moment. :p

Hi everyone,

Though not the most exciting news, I have just finished coding the virtual keyboard that will be used in Blingo 2008. I spent a lot of time working on this as I intend to use the same code in any of my future games that need this feature so I decided it was worthwhile to put in the extra effort. It should work flawlessly with both the touchscreen and standard joystick control and I have assigned certain common buttons such as 'space' and 'delete' directly to buttons on the GP2X to make it as user friendly as possible for those who don't have touchscreen. The keyboard can be switched between uppercase and lowercase with some common symbols replacing the numbers on the lowercase layout. You can see a picture of the keyboard below.

virtualkeyboardkk1.jpg

Also I've finally gotten around to giving my website a complete overhaul. It now has lots of content with pages dedicated to each of my games and a Blingo 2008 WIP log. Click here to take a look.

The keyboard really looks excellent. The best one I've seen on the GP2x so far. Very clear and nice graphics. Can't aweit to use it on the F-200.

Regards,
Stephan

Nice looking keyboard; I'm looking forward in trying that out. :D

Your new website also looks very nice. :)

There are only a few devs who make their products as polished and with so much eye for detail as Ruckage (and I'm not only talking about graphics).

It is a pleasure to read the WIP, keep up the good work.

BTW. I've played some great Future Pinball games by someone called Ruckage :) Great stuff, seems like you've got some more talents.

Nice work Ruckage, that keyboard made my jaw drop. :lol:
You are very good at making the graphics for your games, and always end up with a great product in the end and with some of the best gameplay.

Looking forward to following your projects for 2008. :)

That website of yours is looking great now as well.

mfk said:
I wonder when you will release the new version of Blingo and make us Blingo fans happy! :D
It won't be long I promise :). I don't want to rush this game as I want to make it as good as possible otherwise there isn't much point in re-making it. Plus I'm multitasking at the moment as I am now the proud owner of an f200 so I'm making a simple touchscreen only game as well.

Perhaps it's time to reveal the main new addition to Blingo 2008. Any of you who have played the game Blingo is based on will probably agree that a lot of the fun is because you're playing against other players. It wouldn't be practical to add in this kind of functionality so instead I came up with an alternative, I will simulate the experience by having 9 AI players. Each of these players has a small display showing an avatar, name, score and a chat box so they can talk to you and let you know how their game is going. You can either have random players to play against or you can create your own personalized set and name the characters after your friends for example.

I'll have more info and screens to show soon.

and a WiFi enabled multiplayer version for the Pandora, once its out? :)

great work, ruckage. Like everybody else, I truly enjoy your games and admire the polish and unique style you have. A unique style is what everybuddy tries to achieve, and you've obviously done it. congrats :)

This looks fantastic, how do you do such good graphics?

BTW on the website you missed a word in this paragraph:

Thanks to a generous donation I am now the proud of a GP2X F200 so expect lots of games that support the touchscreen, I'll still make games that don't need touch screen as well so GP2X F100 users won't be left out. Donations are still appreciated as I'm always in need of funds to help with buying software and tools to aid development.

I believe you missed:'owner' in the sentence 'Thanks to a generous donation I am now the proud of a GP2X F200'

Don't mean to be picky and I look forward to this game. Looks freaking awesome (keyboard is sexy too :p).

I look forward to playing this on my PSone screen (TV-out mode).

My GP2x project is coming on very nicely at the moment BTW. BenHeck site is slow at the moment, when it is up again later today or tomorrow I will post a lot of updates.

Back