Best wireless Mouse for gaming in bed?

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
Ok, so about a year ago I ordered the MX Master with the hopes that it would be fairly decent and comfortable mouse for casual, non-competitive *wireless* gaming on any surface - particularly soft uneven surfaces, because I do most of my gaming on or in a bed.

My Arc Mouse Surface edition is just terrible for any kind of gaming (not comfortable), and will not work at all on *most* uneven surfaces.

Unfortunately the online store messed up and I never got my MX Master... and other things took priority.

Fast forward six months, and our house went up in a terrible fire, and we lost practically everything with it... I saved most of my electronics, but some important accessories for my Surface Pro 2 were lost:

Moga Pro Controller
USB3 hub
Razer DeathAdder Gaming Mouse (Wired) (An extremely comfortable mouse when used with my Palm grip)

So for the last 6 months I haven't done *any* gaming on my SP2... we have just been trying to get back on our feet.
Now that the important stuff has been taken care of, I'm looking to get my SP2 gaming fit again!

I got myself a DualShock4 v2 for xmas, and it is MILES better than the Moga Pro! Man, but that Moga was a hassle to get connected and working (Xpadder saved the day, eventually... but I never had the use of my triggers).
I'm using DS4Windows and couldn't be more satisfied. I can play Ori and PS2/GC again! :)

I did some research and was going to pull the trigger on a Logitech G700, but I've read many reports of people hating the 'sandpaper' texture... and reports of the mouse being very 'picky' about it's surfaces?

The explanation the someone gave was that gaming mice don't do well on uneven surfaces because there is no 'smoothing' of the movement... and that for the type of gaming I want to do... a premium office mouse would give a more satisfying experience???

So now I'm unsure which direction to go...? Especially as I can't try anything out first and will have to order online.

G700 or MX Master .... or perhaps even the Performance Mouse MX?

Today I discovered there is such a thing as a 'Couch Mouse'... specifically designed for use on soft uneven surfaces... but they seem geared for internet browsing and I don't know if they will be any good for casual gaming...

Any advice or personal experiences on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

I loved my g700 (non s) but haven't used any of the MX mice so can't tell you how they compare. The g700 worked well on any surface I tried it on.

I loved my g700 (non s) but haven't used any of the MX mice so can't tell you how they compare. The g700 worked well on any surface I tried it on.

You used it on soft surfaces like a bed or blanket?
And it worked great? Ever try a FPS in bed with this mouse? How was that sandpaper texture so many people were complaining about?

So what happened to that mouse... did you upgrade or mouse death?

If the G700 works great on soft fabrics, and that 'sandpaper' texture is a non-issue, I believe I would prefer it to the MX Master... because of the extra buttons.

And yet a MAJOR plus for the MX Master is that you can connect it without a USB Unifying Receiver.
You can connect with Bluetooth, thus freeing up the one and only USB port on my SP2... which I need for gaming as my Steam Library is housed on a 4TB external HD.

If I go with the G700 (or almost any mouse apart from the MX Master), I will need to game with a USB hub attached, and I assume it would need to be a powered hub too... not the ideal solution.

I have this mouse from Trust that doesn't exist anymore (but seems like some later model still exists), I got it in 2001 and it's still working great EVERYWHERE, also in the bed, covered too. It has issue only with too reflecting solid surfaces when batteries are not so charged.
It has a USB receiver with a long cable and an integrated recharger for batteries, and it's super useful. (It doesn't need special drivers if you don't mind about the 3 little "office" buttons, and it worked in every OS or device I played with, the Pandora too, never had any issues)
When I got it I had a Pentium 3 (using the included USBtoPS2 adaptor), but after 4 PCs I'm still using the same mouse... I will cry when at some point it will die.

"Trust 450RL MOUSE WIRELESS OPTICAL OFFICE"

21EE6CB2ENL.jpg

EDIT: the mouse in the image doesn't have the 3 little "office" buttons... but for the rest it's identical to mine

EDIT2: and by the way, lately I'm playing Dying Light in bed with it

Last edited:
I don't do gaming, but sometimes in graphics I need precision i.e. in reproducibility of very small moves in any place on the pad. Few years ago I bought Logitech's M510, and although comparing to e.g. A4Techs it indeed allows to make these moves similar, it is not good on uneven surfaces at all - the best thing is an uniform dark pad.
So if Logitech haven't made their laser technology better, check it somewhere.
The most funny thing of M510 is when moving against a black-white gradient - although the move is smooth, the cursor starts to accelerate when going towards black :).

You used it on soft surfaces like a bed or blanket?
And it worked great? Ever try a FPS in bed with this mouse? How was that sandpaper texture so many people were complaining about?

So what happened to that mouse... did you upgrade or mouse death?

If the G700 works great on soft fabrics, and that 'sandpaper' texture is a non-issue, I believe I would prefer it to the MX Master... because of the extra buttons.

And yet a MAJOR plus for the MX Master is that you can connect it without a USB Unifying Receiver.
You can connect with Bluetooth, thus freeing up the one and only USB port on my SP2... which I need for gaming as my Steam Library is housed on a 4TB external HD.

If I go with the G700 (or almost any mouse apart from the MX Master), I will need to game with a USB hub attached, and I assume it would need to be a powered hub too... not the ideal solution.
Never played an FPS (or any gaming really) in bed, I didn't have a problem with soft surfaces but I wasn't doing anything more demanding than control Netflix away from my desk.
What happened to it was my niece took it and gave it back broken

My only wireless mouse is a lidl symmetrical-ish one with 5 buttons, a scrollwheel and a dpi selection button. It works fine on even loose fabric (I've just tested it). I don't have any FPSes on this machine though, so can't report that use. And it does need a USB slot for its dongle. And I don't know where you could get one right now, as it was only a lidl special purchase about two years ago.

But that suggests that any half-decent laser mouse would work these days. If it doesn't I'd expect that to be a reasonable reason to return it to the shop.

I had (may still have, as it could be lost in a box since I wasn't around during the move when it went missing) a wireless gyroscopic mouse back in 06 or so. It could also be used as an optical mouse. I think it was blue and vaguely reminiscent of later TNG era phasers. Since it is gyroscopic it would probably work well for use in bed. Not sure if it would make for fun gaming.

Maybe try a wiimote. Pretty sure you can use it as a mouse, and it was intended for gaming, so it should be the perfect solution, right?
[doublepost=1514263476,1514262659][/doublepost]Looks like the one I got in 06 may have been from a company called Gyration. I know they aren't gaming mice, so maybe look into them a bit and see how they work for gamers, if you are OK using a gyro mouse.

While trying to track that down I saw what looked like a handheld thumb trackball, so that might be another option.

Wireless and gaming are a NO/NO.
I echo this, especially if you play FPSs. I die quickly enough as it is.

Wireless and gaming are a NO/NO.
Hmmf... Ok Mr elitist, if you say so.

Ok for the sake of completion, I guess I better let everyone know which mouse I got...

I was considering other options, but a nearby store offered to get the *SUCCESSOR* to the MX Master for me at a very reasonable price... it was even cheaper than what I was originally going to pay for the MX Master... And the new grey/black colour is *MUCH* better than that icky gold...

SO... my mouse, which is freeking awesome... is the:

MX Master 2S
https://www.logitech.com/en-za/product/mx-master-2s-flow

Best mouse experience I've ever had? Yes.
Works perfectly on all surfaces especially in bed and soft surfaces? Yes.
Cool bells and whistles I'll probably never use? Yes

Good enough for casual gaming, even FPS in bed.... I would say so. Works great for me.... but I only play FPS in single player.
I haven't tested extensively, but I would say for gamers like me, this mouse is perfect. Pro gamers and extremely competitive gamers that rely on split second twitch gaming will probably never be happy with anything other than a dedicated wired gaming mouse. Thankfully, I am not one of these people.

My only complaint with this mouse?

There is no compartment in the mouse to store the dedicated Unifying receiver... I haven't even used it yet, and have been using the mouse purely on my SP2's built in Bluetooth (which is not so great, as I believe MS cut some corners there)... so the gaming experience will probably be even better when using the dongle... I personally don't need it... did I already say this is the best mouse experience I've had?

Anyways, I don't know what to do with the dongle, so it lives in the original box... I'm not happy about that, the dongle should live in the mouse so it can't be lost.

But apart from that small niggle, couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
Ofc i'm serious. Wireless = +control lag = -response= -chances to react on games.

And if it is on online gaming then it is a NO/NO/NO

Last edited:
I personally use a trackball because I used to get RSI quite a bit when I was younger and I'm not going through that again. The model that I use is the Logitech M570, just make sure you avoid the ones with a recent manufacturing date because they're apparently made out of cardboard and sticky tape.

So, this gave me a, "what if...?" thought.

What if there were an application written for the Pandora that would do when run:
Pandora USB OTG becomes 'device' mode.
When plugged into a computer, the Pandora appears as an HID keyboard and a mouse.
Pandora Bluetooth becomes 'device' mode.
When connected to a bluetooth dongle on a computer, the Pandora appears as an HID keyboard and a mouse.

*Right nub by itself translates to fine mouse movement.
*Left nub by itself translates to coarse/accelerated mouse movement.
*Left & Right nubs are additive.
*Left & right shoulders are left & right mouse respectively (when through this interface).
*Keyboard interactions pass through as keyboard to the host computer.
*Pandora screen displays facts about current connection/use. A pair of XY grids showing the nub positions, what host is connected via which method, etc.

Essentially making the Pandora into a wired/wireless ICP device for use on another machine.

Yes, a person could 'game on the Pandora', but sometimes I could see where someone might want to use the Pandora/Pyra's great controls to control a different system entirely.

I find bluetooth lag annoying on bluetooth audio, even for non interactive stuff like watching the TV, but I've never especially noticed it on wireless mice. I've not yet come across a bluetooth mouse though, so I'm not sure if the delay is part of the bluetooth stack in general though - both the ones I've assembled are generic 2.4GHz ones, and never appear on bluetooth searches.

Ok, I've come across a downside to using built in Bluetooth...

Last night I was listening to an audio book while I worked, when everyone else went to bed, I turned on my Bluetooth headphones (you can tell, I like wireless)... And it seemed fine for a while... But later my mouse was jumping, and then my audio was crackling.... Turning off either made the other work perfectly... Also, my SP2 was connected to internet and downloading over our home WiFi... Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading up that the SP2 uses the same chip for both WiFi and Bluetooth, and it's not a very good chip at that.

So seems I can't have everything... At least all at once.
I'm sure using the dongle would solve this, but then I can only do that when using a usb hub, and also... I wasn't going to go scratch in the cupboards for it.

If it was close to hand in the mouse, different story...

Seems that little niggle ain't so little.

Oh, I never mentioned, and I'm sure some reading this are interested and may be concidering this mouse...

It is very comfortable. It is different to the Razer mouse I useto have.... Both extremely comfortable in the hand.

The Razer was flatter, with a more traditional mouse shape.

The MX 2S is a much taller mouse, and the way you hold it, the space between your thumb and pointing finger is angled 45 degrees to the bottom center of the mouse, whereas, on a traditional mouse, it would be parallel to the table.

This actually takes a huge amount of strain off your wrist.

Also, that your thumb is always 'resting' on that little shelf also takes the strain off.

I'm sure they shaped the mouse this way to address issues of working long hours and developing wrist problems... After all, this is designed as a productivity mouse first and foremost.

I don't think I could go back to a traditional shaped mouse after this, just holding my hand parallel to the table surface, and I notice this is not a natural position... I feel the tension in the muscles of my forearm and wrist.
When I angle my hand to be the same as I would hold the MX 2S, all the tension disappears.

A lot of thought went into the design of this mouse.
I'm glad I didn't decide on an alternative.

Please don't regard me as an authority on this, but I believe this mouse to be great at *preventing* wrist problems from long hours at the computer... It will probably ease the issue for those who already have wrist problems, but you will probably need a more complete solution if your wrist problems are bad, as some in this thread already mentioned...

I would, however, be very interested in hearing a hands-on report about the MX 2S from someone who does have wrist problems.

How effective is this mouse for such people? I'm sure we all want to know.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back