Best (most playable) N64 games.

NESnero

Lets make a list, shall we? Being that Mupen is one of the more popular emulators for Pandora. I only have a few at the moment, contriboot!

Super Mario 64, runs perfectly for me at 800mhz.

Banjo Kazooie, runs fine at 800mhz.

Lylat Wars (Starfox 64) runs perfectly at 600mhz.

Super Smash Bros, runs well at 600mhz, runs great at 800mhz!

whever people post these lists, I wish they could add a bit more information about the exact setup they're using for emulators. For example I still keep an older version of Mupen on a SD card simply because it runs Mario 64 much faster at 640X480 than the newest version does, but the newest ones have better compatability otherwise. I admit it's probably too much of a hassle to have to post too much information on plugin settings etc though! ;)

I'm not sure if this is still maintained or if you can update it by emailing the author but this is the most complete 'old compatibility list' that was made for Mupen on Pandora.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AkBB6e4g1lGtdGxzVjhfNnpiMXVfR3FoZWRndG5iQ3c&hl=en_GB&output=html

Theres a fair amount of info per game, so some of the settings may still be appropriate with the newer builds.

In addition Gruso posted good configs for OOT and others about nub settings/values etc to get better performance. i cant find those links at present though.

San francisco rush extreme racing runs well at 800 mhz.music stutters a little and a little drop in frame rate but good.

Turok dinosaur hunter runs very well at 800 mhz theres a bit of pop up in the graphics but that might just be the way it was on n64.

Micro machines 64 turbo runs perfectly at 800mhz runs nearly perfect at 600mhz.

Automobili lamborghini runs perfectly at 800mhz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not for me. Heavy Frameskip and slow-mo-gameplay even at 750MHz. Not comparable with the real game speed imho. I've tried every setting, even lowered the resolution to 320x240 but the game is far away from fully playable. Actualy, Mario 64 was the only game I've tried that was really playable at all. At least from the viewpoint to play really through the game, including hard passages etc...

Maybe I have to check the settings again, maybe i've overseen something.

Not for me. Heavy Frameskip and slow-mo-gameplay even at 750MHz. Not comparable with the real game speed imho. I've tried every setting, even lowered the resolution to 320x240 but the game is far away from fully playable. Actualy, Mario 64 was the only game I've tried that was really playable at all. At least from the viewpoint to play really through the game, including hard passages etc...

Maybe I have to check the settings again, maybe i've overseen something.
No...I'm the same. No matter what rom I use and what settings I've never found any game playable through the newest version of mupan...I erased my old version like an idiot too. lol At this point I'm still using my PSP for N64 emulation.

I like the spirit of the thread starter, as the amount of recent support threads with people chiming in with "Mupen doesn't work for me" or "Mupen is useless for me" is depressing. The work gone into it is phenomenal, but there is scant appreciation that the emulator is free and probably at the limits of what the Pandora can deliver.

I like the spirit of the thread starter, as the amount of recent support threads with people chiming in with "Mupen doesn't work for me" or "Mupen is useless for me" is depressing. The work gone into it is phenomenal, but there is scant appreciation that the emulator is free and probably at the limits of what the Pandora can deliver.
were not even touching the dsp core yet i bet there could be some speed improvements like moving the sound to the dsp core taking a good load off the cpu

No...I'm the same. No matter what rom I use and what settings I've never found any game playable through the newest version of mupan...I erased my old version like an idiot too. lol At this point I'm still using my PSP for N64 emulation.

if it's any use to anyone here is a zip of 6 older versions of Mupen http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M1RFFDI3

contentsofmupenzip.png

I noticed a speed increase in some games in the latest build and one or two granted probably obscure games started to work.Then again im not a zelda mario or lylat wars fan so i just picked em by random name. Yes its still a wip and i dont have a clue about how it works,though i do wonder why its easier to emulate the ps1 than the n64.

if it's any use to anyone here is a zip of 6 older versions of Mupen http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M1RFFDI3

contentsofmupenzip.png
Thank you so very much. Also I want to say that Mupen works fine...just the games run too slow to play is all...well in the newest version. 1080 ran flawlessly for me in the last release.

though i do wonder why its easier to emulate the ps1 than the n64.

That's pretty easy. The main cpu inside the N64 is 64bit versus the 32bit cpu of the PS1, its clock speed is 3 times as fast as the PS1, has floating point whereas the PS1 cpu has no floating point, it has a main memory bus that is several order of magitude faster than the PS1 and a programmable signal processor that has microcode downloaded to it by each game, which varies its abilities, trading off speed vs accuracy.

In short: a much more complicated piece of hardware.

Your welcome and sorry its not a complete set, as strangely, I have misplaced several versions from around the time that to launch with or without Pickle became the question!

Does anyone else have the other versions that were released for completions sake?

Road Rash 64 runs sweet, we're done here. :p

I've got the following versions of Mupen in a 'superseded' folder on my card, I will upload a zip when not at work:

mupen.BZ.pnd

mupen.mar2011.bz.old.pnd

mupen-0.pnd

mupen64plus-r1b2-fixed.pnd

mupen64plus-r1b3-fixed-snd.pnd

mupen64plus-r1b3fs.pnd

mupen64plus-r1b5.pnd

mupenfeb2011.pnd
(One or two of those may not have their original name)

[edit] Link: https://www.box.net/shared/static/7ytm1sfrmaouzpha5ska.zip (10MB)

That's odd, I compared Lylat wars on the Pandora while playing it on my actual N64, runs the same speed at 700-800mhz.

I didn't even change any of the settings, just straight play! Depends on your opinion of "playable" I guess.

Also Perfect Dark. If I disable the audio, and set the cpu to 1ghz, the game does run quite smoothly depending on the level. In the Carington institute, it ran perfectly (the same as N64), however on some outdoor maps, the gun did run quite slow, however still playable. But like they say, still more work to be done!

What version runs Mario 64 best? As far as Star fox, Banjo Kazooie, and Zelda OoT they all run at a good playability level to me at 700mhz with the latest version on Repo.

And I for one really appreciate the work that the programers have put into this EMU and hope that it continues to grow and get better like PSX-Rearmed has.

Also what all is going on with the DSP core that we can't work with it? I thought I read something on another thread about there being a work around or patch to it? :huh:

it does work now that we have working drivers but the emulator needs to be programed to take advantage of the core

Iv'e got to guess that i am just doing something completely wrong with this emu because the ONLY thing i can run at playable speeds is Mario 64 (and believe me i have tried various different versions & multiple different games/regions) tried all different speeds ranging from 600MHz up to 1GHz & everything apart from the aforementioned either stutters incredibly badly or just runs like a flick book, which is why i don't bother with it generally.. which is ironic because the prospect of a portable N64 is what initially sold the Pandora to me.

Back