e5r72a.png
2ytsi6w.png

Mayhem In Monsterland

2vshiqa.png
312wehh.png

Retrograde

v839c9.png
4l4xtw.png

As you can see from my list I'm a big fan of platform shooters. These games had fantastic graphics and great music. The hours I spent playing these games when I should've been doing my homework.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would highly recommend Samurai Warrior - The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo, here. It's a side-scrolling action game, with a twist, that's based on Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo comic series. You play as the ronin rabbit, Miyamoto Usagi, who's on a mission to rescue Lord Noriyuki (a panda who is the head of the Geishu Clan). You can't just go around slicing everything to pieces - you're actually required to observe etiquette and the code of Bushido. You must never draw your sword in front of peasants or noblemen (noblemen will attack you for it, and, well, apparently Usagi will commit seppuku if you threaten a farmer), and it's a good idea to bow to both of these, and offer money to the poor peasants in order to raise your karma. Good karma = high score.

A lot of people like the Comic Bakery Music, I'm not sure if it is a great game or not though.

Whenever I think of Commodore 64 Wonderboy always pops into my head first. Sidescrolling, er, jumping & throwing game (I don't actually remember any platforms, but I could be wrong).

Armalyte - Play it half an hour nonstop and you can say good bye to your thumbs :lol: (especially if you only got some crappy gamepads you hacked yourself to plug them into the real machine... ouch)

rkyosw.gif
b500vm.gif

Used to love the comic violence in all these classics:

Last Ninja Series (Great exploration and very satisfying smacking street punks and dirty cops in the groin with staffs and nunchaku, quality)

lastninja3screenshot.jpg

By chaser2010 at 2010-09-01

The Barbarian series (The first was a fairly tactical fighter)

barbarianscreenshot.jpg

barbarian2screenshot.jpg

Rock & Wrestle (Some painful animations)

rockandwrestlescreensho.jpg

Spy vs Spy games (Pure comic trap setting chicanery)

spyvsspy2screenshot.jpg

Ik+ (Prior to the SF games this is where combat was at. The Way of the Exploding Fist and Yie Ar Kung Fu were also awesome. )

internationalkarateplus.jpg

And no one mentions Pirates! :blink:

anything from microprose was good.

bruce lee

boulderdash series

ghostbusters

tapper

the IK series

space pilot

giana sisters

gyruss

dino eggs

impossible mission (havnt beat it yet :blink: )

maniac mansion

Here are some games you missed from your list there:

Monty on the run:

Monty_on_the_Run.png

And obviously The great giana sisters:

great_giana_1.jpg

Also don't forget Raid over Moscow:

raid_over_moscow.png

Otherwise, great list. Great job.

Turrican II is better on the Amiga.

=D

Some of you have already mentioned some favorites of mine,  so I'll just list some that have yet to be listed.

Check my avatar!

Wizball still remains a favorite to this day. Aside from the absolutely gorgeous, enchanting music, the creativity on display has barely been matched by any other form of media in my opion.

wizball.gif

Mad Doctor: An open-ended sandbox game where you are free to obtain body parts in any way you desire in order to make a Frankenstein-esque monster? Before it's time.

mad_doctor_03.jpg

Head Over Heels: Much like Wizball, the imagery in this game was like crack to my

imagination.

ccs16.JPG

Skate or Die: I'll chalk this down to nostalgia. It is a very good game, however.

Skate_or_Die!.png

Parallax: Again, this was rather ahead of it's time. It's combination of Space Combat and adventure elements makes it stand out:

parallax_02.gif

Pitstop II : It's a racing game; first and foremost, but the inclusion of the Pitstop adds a level of tension and urgency (and yes; strategy) that remains unmatched even today.

c64_pit2.gif

^ I love Park Patrol. I used to spend hours upon hours playing that some nights. :lol: I especially love the music from stage two - it really nails that summer-ish sort of vibe perfectly.

EDIT: And I even mastered the log-rolling. That was bloody difficult. I need to figure it out again!

Paradroid. Amazing game.

Also, Creatures 1 & 2.

I've also got a soft spot for the game "Bruce Lee" :)

I have fond memories of The Great American Cross Country Road Race. Just loaded it up again and methinks I will be playing the heck out of it once more...

great_american_cross-country_road_race_02.gif

* Looks in emu folder *

Flip&Flop

IronMan

KickStart

Traz

Uridium

V

World PGA Golf

As well as lots also mentioned ... Bruce Lee, Imp Miss, Monty Mole

Here's some more C64 games that must be mentioned:

Bomb Jack, Bomb Jack II

zvocue.png

Deflektor, Bombuzal, Split Personalities

Split Personalities is an addictive sliding puzzle game, I got this game free with my 1541-II disk drive.

10qhv10.png

Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands

Bubble Bobble is my favourite 2 player game on the C64.

2utgrxj.png

Creatures, Creatures II: Torture Trouble

As mentioned by kmob in an earlier post and I agree Creatures and Creatures 2 are excellent puzzle platform shooters with humourous torture screens.

Creatures is short for Clyde Radcliffe Exterminates All the Unfriendly Repulsive Earth-Ridden Slime!!

6z96kh.png

Rick Dangerous, Rick Dangerous II

33p91qd.png

R-Type, Sanxion, Silk Worm

Sanxion was the first side scrolling shooter I played on a C64 which I got from a ZZAP! magazine cover tape.

qoimht.png

Rod-Land, Paperboy, Turbo Outrun

s64xas.png

... and finally a game published by Pandora!!

Into The Eagle's Nest

1rf12v.png

Ranarama was a game I loved!

Some of the Ultimate games were sweet, best of them Blackwyche and Dragonskulle

Project firestart is a superb space - horror adventure

I could say hundreds: Beach Head (I and II), Ghost & Goblins, Bubble Bobble, Impossible Mission. M.U.L.E., Realm of Impossibility, The way of the Exploding Fist, Pyjamarama, Cauldron I & II ... just go to lemon64.com and check the 100 best C64 games!

Back