Best Bios Flash Ever (i Think)!!

jamessmart

Still Fresh
this bios flash alows yow to boot different operating systems stored on your smc at startup and lots of built in features aswell.

so head down to www.gpbios.tk

this bios is already known, and nearly everyone replaced it with aqua 5.01, it can also launch other fw bins on startup!

Wolfsclaw posted on Sep 5 2004 at 09:26 AM said:
this bios is already known, and nearly everyone replaced it with aqua 5.01, it can also launch other fw bins on startup!

I didn't... I just like things simple :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Ringo posted on Sep 5 2004 at 11:41 AM said:
Wolfsclaw posted on Sep 5 2004 at 09:26 AM said:

I didn't... I just like things simple :p
Nothing simpler than MFW + PACROM

You are all cr8zzy!!!11oneone!11

I flashed my GP32 to the same BIOS my computer mobo uses, and nailed a Athlon XP 2500+ to the GP32's mobo, and it is as good as my normal computer!oneoneone111!!

Computer BIOS p0wnzzzzz!!!!oneoneone111

Or mabye all that is a conspiracy and I really use MultiFW + pacrom???

Vimacs posted on Sep 5 2004 at 11:48 AM said:
gpbios stinks imho

Fair enough...

xboxit posted on Sep 5 2004 at 11:13 AM said:
I agree, some programs don't work on it :angry:

Really... which?
It may be so and I just haven't noticed, because it's been a beta of something I reallly didn't care about.

Downloaded Aquafishes bios to see what the fuzz is about, and the readme really makes it seem all messy - not actually saying it is, but it seems like you have to have all sorts of sub-dirs on you're SMC's

Agreed - I just have better things to do with my life than configure a fancy looking menu.

No offence to aquafish - loads of people use his firmware and all his contributions to the scene are terrific.

I just like the simplicity of GPbios.

I think some people like to spend ages configuring things - y'know coming up with fancy fonts and icons and backdrops. I'm guessing they probably spend as much time fiddling with their GP32 as they do actually playing games, music or video on it. - For these people the newer aquafirmware is probably the coolest thing imaginable!

Theres nothing wrong with that - I used to spend more time taking my PC apart swapping graphics cards and drives etc. than I did actually using it (a bit like owning a classic car) - I just don't have that much time anymore.

When I boot up either of my GP32's I want them to just boot to whatever is on this smc - gpbios does that with no fiddling. :)

lol - you dont have to creat any subdirs to actually use aqua 5.01, it just makes things a bit more simple. and you can even choose 3 programs (like os9xgp, gp32linux...) to get into the menu very easy, and then you can select one of it as auto-boot and each time you turn your gp on you launch that program if you dont hold select which will bring you back to the menu :p

edit: and my config for aqua took me maybe 3minutes but really no more.

Sorry Wolfsclaw - I think I'm even too lazy to do that. ;)

How lazy? - Well my favourite prog for the gp32 atm is svorbis.
The ultimate in no frills gp32 entertainment - just rename it to boot.fxe shove it on an smc and switch it on.

Perfect :p

Sorry Jamessmart.

Like all things in life it's just not as easy as that ;) .

These different firmware meet different peoples needs depending on what they are.

If you want a firmware that is ridiculously simple to set up then as I've said GPbios is a good choice. It may have a silly name but it allows you to boot from 3 different programs or firmwares off the smc or run the old euro firmware or pclink or GPdrive. All of this is done without cycling through menus - you just hold down different buttons to launch different programs.

If you would like a good menu system with good compatibility and good support then aquafish's multifirmware is probably the way to go. I still think that a few people have had problems setting it up but like I said the support is good because a LOT of people use this firmware and will help you out on the boards if your stuck (so long as you read the readme first!)

Some developers use a multifirmware by spiv - 'cos it has a bios monitor thingy that lets you know why your gp32 has crashed. Like turning on the blue screen of death option in windows XP your GP32 will actually give you an error message that is helpful rather than just resetting. (It's totally wasted on me though...)
If all you want to do is use windups or pacrom then spiv's firmware is probably still the fastest (just!) at booting these programs.

If you want a multifirmware that acts like a complete operating system for GP32 and lets you do everything you could need in terms of launching programs, file management, smc formating etc. then tough - slubman is working very hard and he hasn't finished it yet! (I't'll be good tho'.)

i will probabally change to aqua fishes firmware. but upgrade when slubmans one comes out does slubman have a website?

jamessmart posted on Sep 5 2004 at 04:37 PM said:
So overall what is the best firmware and most compatible ???
mfw2/pacrom is the best and should run evrything, and haves nice debug screen

Back