Before We Were Dead - Compo Version

Imerion

Since the 2nd Gp32Spain Wiz Contest is now done, I'll post my entry here for download. The archive containing all the contest games have an old version of this game; the last version sent to the contest was 1.04, which is the one that can be downloaded below. If you want to try the game, please use this version since it contains many very important fixes and optimizations. Also, don't forget to read the ReadMe. Eventually the game will get a complete and improved release, but for now, this is the latest and best version.

Before We Were Dead is an intresting take on classic RPG-games, aspiring
to be both an aquatic platformer and a multi-choice roleplaying game.
Exploration and character development are key ingredients in the game, as you begin
to explore what it means to be one of the Fish in a twisted and wonderous world.

As a young Fishling the time has come for you
to travel to Spipreef and begin your journey to adulthood.
The Sea, however, is a dark and mysterious place and more terrors
than Badfish lurk in the deep waters around Spipreef.

Download it from here : Before We Were Dead 1.04

0222ddd62f.gif

This looks beautiful, will be the first thing I'll try once I'll charge my Wiz :)

Alex. said:
This looks beautiful, will be the first thing I'll try once I'll charge my Wiz :)

It is beautiful :)
Reminded me of a mixture of E.V.O., Aquaria and Ecco :)

Last edited:
I've been trying all the game entries from the competition. This game is one of my favorites. Like Alex said it's a very beautiful game. Thank you for all your hard work.

Thanks! Nice to hear you like it. We have never done something so big and extensive before and we worked really hard to finish in time for the contest.
Sadly the game had to be cut down a bit graphics-wise for the Wiz and even so we barely got it to run. Thanks to the swap-file it runs but there are load-times and hickups which shouldn't be there and which detracts quite a lot from the total experience. (I guess a fast SD card would speed it up somewhat however.)
I won't be able to make it better on the Wiz, but it seems the Caanoo has enough memory to run it well, so if I can only find myself a Caanoo I could make a better port. Otherwise I suggest trying the PC version, which will be released soon and will work as it was intended with nothing cut out. :)

Congratz on the game Imerion. It is very impressive. Here are some first impressions:

- Great story. It seems you have used a lot of time to create a plausible detailed story. I am looking forward to see where it will take me
- The main menu takes too long. After the first time i played, and had to restart i just wanted to click past to speed up the animation so i could select start. I had the same problem with the intro. After dying the first time i didn't want to read the entire backstory again. This might be moot if one loads and saves, but it didn't seem to save my position though. Maybe a little bug?
- I'm a bad swimmer so i sometimes get stuck in sections where the fish osculates by being pushed into an object as he is pushed out of another, usually the ground
- The attention to details is very professional. Eye-candy everywhere, which is often ignored by homebrew as it does not affect game play, and is not part of the mechanics. It gives a nice polished feel and makes the game much more immersive.

Good luck with the game
Uni

Thanks everyone! I'll forward your comments to Marcus as well, who made the music and most of the graphics.

- The main menu takes too long. After the first time i played, and had to restart i just wanted to click past to speed up the animation so i could select start. I had the same problem with the intro. After dying the first time i didn't want to read the entire backstory again. This might be moot if one loads and saves, but it didn't seem to save my position though. Maybe a little bug?
- I'm a bad swimmer so i sometimes get stuck in sections where the fish osculates by being pushed into an object as he is pushed out of another, usually the ground

These things will be fixed in the next version! The menu can now be skipped and the fish shouldn't be able to get stuck. You can't save and continue in the starting area, but once you have reached Spipreef you should be able to continue from where you were if you die and then load. Please tell me if you find something else!

Back