Battery Life

shadohawk

Still Fresh
I have had my GP2X for about 24 hours now and I love what it can do... Or rather what people have been able to make it do. But I have something weird going on... And I am going to pick up new batteries later today, but is it normal to have you battery light come on while the meter in settings says medium? Also when I start to play a video, with a fresh charge, about 2 min in the batt light comes on... I haven't tested further than that because the video seems to lock at about 7-8 minutes. (I am thinking bad encode since I can still somewhat use the menu...) I am just very disapointed... I bought this since my PSP isn't downgradable and because I love the homebrew and emulators and I liked the fact it plays divx out to a tv. (My portable XBMC.) I have been poking around the forums and my guess is it's the batteries. They are NiMH 1850mAh and from what I have been reading is just not enough to keep this thing going. But then the same thing happens with the music player... Surely that should be using less power than Video or EMU? Any constructive thoughts appreciated.

Well, the battery light beein fubard is normal, but you should get decent rechargeables anyway.
Your freezing video is probably also related to the batterys.

Thanks, thought I would double check... The light made me a bit nervous. But I would like to say that after the movie froze, I restarted it and played Sonic 2 for about an hour and then it played music for about 2 more. Just don't tell on me... I am at work and it's a slow day. :)

I use 2 sets of 1800 mah cheap batteries (Traveler I think) and one set of batteries can almost power me through a movie. I should get 2600 or 2800s though..

About the freezing, it seems to depend on the speed of your SD card. I have freezups on my 1GB SD card, but I haven't had any yet on my 2GB SanDisk SD card.

If you have any other reasonably sized (0.5GB or more) SD cards, try using those for movies instead, if possible.

Hopefully things will change with the new firmware that is hopefully being released soon :)

Yeah, I bought a cheapy SD... It could be the issue... But It also seems that it is reporting as the wrong size... It is coming up as 1 gig when it is a 2 gig card... And I am not sure how to get it back to two gigs since the utility is for windows only and I am here at work on my Mac... I mean I could go home and use my PC, but I find it irksome that they wouldn't release a mac utility since it seems to be a card for digital cameras. You would think there are just a few photographers that use Macs.

Back