Battery Issue??? Got My Gp2x 15mins Ago

Troy the Great

Still Fresh
I stuck in a brand new pair of batterys and turned on my Gp2x, Looked at my bettery and it said full, then went and played that astroid game demo for a few minutes, then quit the game and went and looked the battery again and it said they are empty, then it crashed. I tried 4 new pairs of batterys and did the same thing, they all went empty in a few minutes and crashed. What is the issue? Please help. Thanks

Use NiMH rechargeable batteries instead of the regular, alkaline kind. High-drain digital devices only run with those.

- Alex

You need high-quality NiMH rechargable batteries, 2000mah or better. Get a set of name brand (energizer, duracell, rayovac) batteries and a charger. Be sure to get NiMH 2000mah or better!

It's draining the batterys in minutes. Whats to say it won't do the same for the reachargables?
Rechargables can give more power than non rechagables, because of the lower internal resistence.
And because non rechargables can't really give enough power they wont last long.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad is telling me the NON-rechargables should last longer. Its draining my batterys in minutes, thats un-natural.

i also thought non rechargeables would last longer due to their higher voltage ...?

EDIT: of course considering they both have the same mAh

My dad is telling me the NON-rechargables should last longer. Its draining my batterys in minutes, thats un-natural.

Take it from experience. A lot of people here have tried non-rechargable batteries, and had the GP2X crash in minutes. We have then changed to rechargables and seen it take anything upto 6 hours before a crash due to low batteries.

So, just try it! I bought a pair of 1300mAh, and they last much longer than a set of Duracell batteries.

It's draining the batterys in minutes. Whats to say it won't do the same for the reachargables?

It's also because we've all done the same, and it lasts hours for us.

Depending on your need for mobility, you might also consider getting
the AC adapter. No point in using a charger to load the batteries if
you can skip the batteries.

It will also be valuable when it comes time to upgrade the firmware.
Fresh batteries or an AC adapter are recommended for that task.

Take it from experience. A lot of people here have tried non-rechargable batteries, and had the GP2X crash in minutes. We have then changed to rechargables and seen it take anything upto 6 hours before a crash due to low batteries.

So, just try it! I bought a pair of 1300mAh, and they last much longer than a set of Duracell batteries.
why did you bought a pair of 1300mahs lol, waste of money if you ask me.

and Troy, your dad is wrong, seriously. :p

I dont remember which post it was from, but the alkalines simply cannot maintain the required voltage. If you use those used up alkalines in a gba afterwards, it'll last it for quite a while.

Duracell White 1500MAh AAs are available as surplus for a dime apiece quite often. Very good deal, even though individually they last less than a 2500MAh cell would.

I have a 5V --- 1.6A power adapter for my archos420, will that work on my Gp2x? I really don't have the money to buy another cord, so I hope so. I also want to make sue it won't hurt my Gp2x. Thank you.

More like explodey.

Anyway, the reason alkalines suck in the GP2X is that the voltage drops steadily from when you start using them. In rechargeables, the voltages stays consistent until when the batteries are nearly run out, then it drops sharply.

Back