Bacteria's Mini-platform Plug'n'play Console System

bacteria

Modder & Portablizer
Website
moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com

YouTube video

Project step-by-step guide on my website (see sig).

TV plug'n'play systems have great games on them, but the controls are pretty bad; the systems are also not portable as they need to plug into a television to play a game. With my system, a plug'n'play system is ripped apart and put inside a small game cartridge, which are then interchangeable (like my Multi-Platform system). The controls on my system are very easy to use and the d-pad works far far better than the clunky "joystick" on plug'n'play systems. This is a unique project as the cartridges are interchangeable via my universal cart slot.

System includes two Canon 911 Li-ion batteries, 2000mA each = 4000mA, enough to keep the system running before recharge for about 4.5 hours or so. The batteries simply pop out for recharging, so if I have a spare set of batteries then can be utilised. There is also a video and audio jack and an audio jack.

This was a very involving project, pleased to have finished it in time. Over the next weeks, I will make more plug'n'play cartridges for the system.

Weight including game cart and batteries - c. 700g without batteries and game cart c. 450g

Very very cool, I will check out your site.

Do you plan on doing a Radica Pack? And if so would you consider a cart slot?

Better yet, how about a BeagleBoard :)

Edit, it is so much sicker than I thought!!

You are the man!

I see you did get a radica in there, I assume GOAC?

Very thin, I was suitably impressed.

When I built (or hacked) together my sega (in sig) I had to move the controls up to the top because my hands would cramp up playing it, have you found this to be a problem at all?

Good job with the plastic folder btw, I used it to cap off my sega pad fragments :)

Awesome! Although you may want to consider moving away from your perspex/paper/textured paint strategy's someday. They look good, but I think you could make a kickass frankencase. :)

Nubie, I know what you mean. I am all for having controls near the top of the system, far more comfortable. But everyone always says "OMG the controls are too high!!!111". I wish we could go back to better times, times when a game console was judged by its abilities, not its looks. :( Not that looks are not at all important. ;)

palmertech said:
Awesome! Although you may want to consider moving away from your perspex/paper/textured paint strategy's someday. They look good, but I think you could make a kickass frankencase. :)

Nubie, I know what you mean. I am all for having controls near the top of the system, far more comfortable. But everyone always says "OMG the controls are too high!!!111". I wish we could go back to better times, times when a game console was judged by its abilities, not its looks. :( Not that looks are not at all important. ;)
Yes, people should look at the abilities not just looks. My system is unique, one of a kind; who else MAKES systems into cartridges and then makes them work into a universal cart slot??

Didn't use any paper on the console itself, only the carts. Needed to stick my artwork onto the case, paper is the only way; so did the rest of the cartridge that way too.

Nubie - thanks for the comments, appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
bacteria said:
My system is unique, one of a kind; who else MAKES systems into cartridges and then makes them work into a universal cart slot??
Um, the chinese? It is called the Onestation, it will do Genesis and NES afaik, maybe more they don't advertise it, but I think it does exactly what your system does.

I would rather DIY my own system, although I wonder if starting with theirs and adding my own carts would be simpler?

Didn't use any paper on the console itself, only the carts. Needed to stick my artwork onto the case, paper is the only way; so did the rest of the cartridge that way too.

Nubie - thanks for the comments, appreciated!

No Problem, have you ever considered a mill (cheap ones start at $500 new).

Or (considering the expense of a mill) a mill style bit in your dremel, that way it slices clean and smooth instead of making a big mess with those grinding stones and cut off wheels. Like the right hand 3 in this picture http://www.naturalhorsetrim.com/Cheryls_dremel_bits.jpg

I was referring to hobbyists rather than people who have the ability to manufacture their own boards, commercially!

A mill, or CNC equipment, or whatever is not practical and I have no access to anyone who has either, I only make for me (although I may make something in the future to sell maybe) so can't justify paying for any equipment.

I have many tools for my Dremel, personally find a circular cutter and sanding drum very effective for cutting perspex.

bacteria said:
I was referring to hobbyists rather than people who have the ability to manufacture their own boards, commercially!
Ok, with the scope defined I accept your premise :)

A mill, or CNC equipment, or whatever is not practical and I have no access to anyone who has either, I only make for me (although I may make something in the future to sell maybe) so can't justify paying for any equipment.
I don't know how close you are to a community college, but the one I attended had a very neat machine shop you could use very inexpensively, possibly only paying for one unit (presumably so that their insurance was appeased).

Also "tech shops" are opening in many cities where you can pay a day pass or "membership" and get access to lots of very very cool stuff. Mills, Lathes, laser CNC equipment, even car dynos and oscilloscopes. I don't live very close to them and I would imagine they are probably pretty full of hobbyists (although I am not sure).

I have many tools for my Dremel, personally find a circular cutter and sanding drum very effective for cutting perspex.
Cool, I have never tried cutting perspex (plexiglas? Acrylic?), I score and snap, so no "windows". I just sort of assumed that it would be similar to plastic, wich melts up and is very difficult with a cutting disk or sanding drum.

A lot of the projects I want to tackle would require a lathe and mill, preferably CNC. Stuff like Transmission adapters and other custom car parts. Also custom tools interest me. After all the time I have spent searching for a tool that is simply not available in my area, or perhaps doesn't exist at all, I could sure use one.

I was very impressed at the overall fit and finish of your console, as well as impressed by how small you managed to make it.

Back