backing up psx

Lao Rebel

i'm backing up my psx games. i created a BIN file, but do i need a CUE file?

Depends on what your type of game your ripping. I don't know the entire details of it all, but I know the BIN/CUE files are better for mixed mode Discs..

I'm not sure if your using Linux or Windows.. but this is a post showing a good Linux command line method I use to back up my Discs to BIN/CUE format.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the game uses more than one track, deleting .cue will destroy disk layout information and emulator/burning software won't know how to recreate it. This typically results in no music in games.

Depends on what your type of game your ripping. I don't know the entire details of it all, but I know the BIN/CUE files are better for mixed mode Discs..

I'm not sure if your using Linux or Windows.. but this is a post showing a good Linux command line method I use to back up my Discs to BIN/CUE format.

i use Xubuntu. i like to use the linux command line, but on my xubuntu, my psx disc shows up in media directory not cdrom directory.

at the moment, i am using imgburn on windows, but do not know how to create cue file w/that program, do you know how to do it on imgburn?

i backed up castlevania symphony of the night, got a bin file and it works fine, even the music, so i don't know if i need a cue file for it

i use Xubuntu. i like to use the linux command line, but on my xubuntu, my psx disc shows up in media directory not cdrom directory.

Well that's just one example.. not too familiar with ubuntu based distributions, but that's pointing to the drive device directory not where it's mounted which typically is the media directory like you said. I know some flavors of Linux use /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd which is typically an alias for /dev/sr0

I haven't used Windows for much of anything but a couple of games that don't work well in Wine.. so I know nothing of imgburn.

For what it's worth, I'm the one who wrote that linked post, and I also use Xubuntu. :p

But, I later discovered that the method I'd been taught does not actually produce a bin/cue combo, but really just a bin-with-a-renamed-toc, instead. I now use ImgBurn via WINE to rip my CDs, instead.

For what it's worth, I'm the one who wrote that linked post, and I also use Xubuntu. :p

But, I later discovered that the method I'd been taught does not actually produce a bin/cue combo, but really just a bin-with-a-renamed-toc, instead. I now use ImgBurn via WINE to rip my CDs, instead.

nice to know i have a Xubuntu comrade in here :) yes i have figured out how to use imgburn. i can now back up all my psx games! i got bin/cue files and everything! works great on pandora. symphony of the night, star ocean 2 look and play nicely! Thunder Force V plays great!!

Back