Assault Cube

jhudson38

Still Fresh
Has anyone ever played Assault Cube? Take a look at it here http://assault.cubers.net/ It runs on linux and it says it can support a Pentium III computer sooo why not try to bring this or better yet make something like this for the Caanoo? We could have a first person shooter WiFi multiplayer game. I mean, getting the actual Assault Cube game to run on Caanoo would probably be near impossible. But the idea for a basic game like that on the Caanoo seems very tempting to me.

It would be nice, But does the Caanoo perform at Pentium III levels?

Of course, maybe it doesn't need to, since the screen is so much smaller. What do i know.

/Uni

@u9i - CPU Wise, it seems to be capable... Maybe not, but the lowest end of a Pentium 3 CPU operates at 433 mhz. The Caanoo can stably achieve around 180% of that, so maybe it's possible...

The ARM926EJ (CPU embedded in the Caanoo SoC) operates at 533 MHz (default), but its computational power is reduced respect to the Pentium 3... I don't think that a good conversion would be possible...

I would assume that the computational power of the Wiz is more than enough to power assault cube regardless what their requirement lists. Main issue on Wiz is memory. Especially if acceleration via OGL ES is desired. AC uses a interesting model of storing maps by using formulas and a high level description which remotely reminds me of POV-Ray. Those maps are ridicously small compared to other engines. However AC still uses traditional textures which need to be kept in memory. The MBX supports texture compression afaik so this feature should be critically reviewed.

Caanoo has twice ammount of RAM than Wiz (128 Mbytes with about 84 Mbytes free), so the memory should be enough, maybe the problem could be the reduced bandwidth (533 Mbytes/s)...
in any case (IMHO) the primary problem is the computational power of Caanoo/Wiz CPU and GPU.

Yes, Caanoo should be fine ram wise and i don't think the memory speed affects it much. Regarding CPU: doing all the grunt work it has to do in a game + preparing the 3d data should be ok. The 3d preprocessing should be offloaded to the GPU TnL as possible (as part of opengl anyways). The GPU is a definite bottleneck however AC expectations seems slim and their models are not too overpolyd for the task. Remember: according to ImgTec (the maker of the MBX Lite) Q3A should theoretically be possible at ~30fps with that silicon. While i'm somewhat sketchy if this possible on Wiz/Caanoo (memory latency + bandwidth) - it gives a rough indication that the hardware should be able to handle AC itself. Possible as with the current opengl driver however: i have no clue. So far i understood the driver (as not too uncommon with non-original ImgTec drivers) is sub-par.

My final thought about: should be possible without greater twist but may need a deep performance tweak here and there and definitetly should make use of the PVRTC ogl extension.

Back