Arx Libertatis

Effin' awesome! This is such an atmospheric game. I love the crafting and magic system.

that game was marvelous... it's only downsides are the "out of balance" end of game toward melee characters and the small size of the world...

True, the world is relatively small when comparing it to Elder Scrolls et al. But I prefer a smaller, more confined space over the ability to roam about great distances. The reason being that all that design work and ideas concentrate on a smaller area. Gothic 1 and 2 are way smaller than, say, Morrowind. But in Gothic you don't meet generic, repetitive characters with the same or similar things to say. When somebody has to say something, it's unique. So is the landscape. The fighting and levelling system make it dangerous and interesting to explore. Gothic 3 especially makes me feel like the designers got lost trying to give this huge landscape a heart and soul, to make it feel like the games' predecessors... :(

I don't get it .. has this been ported to Pandora?

no, at least not yet... I might have posted that in the offtopic section I guess...

hum, I tested it on my win64 box, it works almost flawlesly... I just have some (rare) artifact and a few strange lags where I run forward for 10meters in a fraction of seconds (hopefully it's also rare...)

It is a strait port, even some original bugs are presents... (like wooden spike disapearing for your inventory sometimes...

I have the PC version & still fire it up from time to time, it's generally criminally overlooked/hugely underrated and it's a real shame as it's one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played.. I can't see this being anything like playable on Pandora, but it would be a killer app & an incredible achievement if it could be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to disagree, this could be playable I think, requirement seems a little bit higher than quake3, but much lower than doom3 which (I still doubt it) is said to be at a kind of limit of what could be implemented on the pandora... the major problem is, as always openGL...

this could be playable I think, requirement seems a little bit higher
Nope too slow
What makes you so sure of that? Minimal requirements back then were a p3 with 500mhz , 64mb of ram and a "directx 8 compatible" graphics-card.

With a proper port to gles our pandora could propably run it. (MHz between different architectures are not directly comparable but can be a clue.)

doh, thanks for looking into that... now where is this myth about doom3?...

A few days ago the guys over at http://arx-libertatis.org/ released their Open Source Cross platform Arx Fatalis Engine, Arx Liberatis.

Arx Fatalis is a First Person RPG and a spiritual sequal to Ultima Underworld and looks to be a great game.

I've just picked it up on GOG for $5.99

I've no idea if this game could easily be ported to the Pandora or even if it would run ok but It definately deserves a look.

Gameplay Video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/W2MM8bn1Tew?feature=oembed

I've put this in General for maximum exposure but if any Mods feel it's in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

ToaD

That'll teach me to search for Arx Fatalis and not Arx Liberatis ;) That only found an old thread from last year. Mods feel free to delete this one while I go get my coat ;)

I'll merge them. Just a moment, please. :)

EDIT: There we go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back