Are You Excited?

How would you rate your excitement?

• More excited than ever. Almost at bursting point.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very excited. Need it soon.

• Still excited. Keeping it under control.

• Not too excited. Dare not let it get out of contol.

• Not excited. The moment's gone.

• Trying to forget all about it until it arrives.

• Not interested.

• Total voters

TaG

Fau-fau-faulty software.
Website
Visit site
Today's totally pointless, light hearted thread.

Okay, the main points of discussion keep revolving around re-orders and delivery dates, which gets a bit serious and sometimes heated. So as a bit of a distraction for the weekend, just how excited about the Pandora are you now?

What is the one thing that excites you most? Is it a specific game; emulating a specific console; coding; tweaking; music; browsing on the go; a specific app or a specific use?

I suppose you're going to want me to start?

There was a brief period when my excitement waned. It's back. I keep thinking of all the cool thing it's going to do and we're going to discover as a community. All the things above excite me but the one thing that will make sure it goes everywhere with me is getting it set up just right as a perfect PDA. That way it will go to work with me, go out wherever I go and becomes invaluable as well as fun. It will make it go where the DS or PSP get left behind. Then I'll do all those other cool things.

Down the line there's hopefully Bob's game (and Mr Gonzo's is looking pretty interesting too). That could have gone in at number one if it were possible to have it on release.

i was really exited around november 26th... until i read the news that they weren't shipping on the 30th. i even found a note in my school planner saying "Hows the Pandora? ;)" for this week, that i'd written there around august >___<

i'm just glad i wasn't talking to everyone about it until now.

anyway, this thing's gonna be awesome, just be patient...

For a while I was planning on buying one and got really excited... but I don't think I'll be able to afford it anytime soon...

I'm currently excited about the possibility of getting an ipod touch, not sure why i'm excited though. I've had a dream that i had one and tried to get back to sleep when i woke up.

Still excited as it's a beast in a box, that has been made with open development in mind. And it's a gadget that also supports 3D which should keep me motivated to get some 3D demo project up and running (FPS demo, etc and eventually 3D games!)

Also I like playing retro games, and with a reasonable battery life I think I'm going to get my fair share of gaming done in my breaks at work. Basically yeah I want this now, but I have to stay calm and concentrate what I can do right now without it.

My excitement peaks when we get news, or when we should be getting/seeing something new. For example, we're getting nearer the point of seeing a completely assembled Pandora, so I'll pretty excited at the moment. During the bank reordering situation, I began to lose interest as there was nothing new for a couple of weeks.

Still excited - but no longer worried about when it may ship. Got other stuff to occupy me over Xmas :p

Mainly looking forward to retro/emulation - the pinnacle for me being N64 (if it happens). I'd finally be able to replay some of the classics on the go (with proper analogue controls - I'm looking at you Mario 64 DS), and maybe even finish them this time :lol:
Z:OoT in particular would be awesome (think I got half way through it over Xmas 1998 and never went back to it).
Also MAME, speccy and SNES emulation will rock :)

Kinda interested in Tag's comments around it being a PDA. This would be incredible - a true do everything (except phone), take it everywhere device - but for it to be useful to me it would need to sync with Outlook/Activesync, 'cos that's what I use at work.
Is this even possible?

My excitement has always been at moderate to high level, but after reading the latest benchmark results, I'm overwhelmed :D

I thought, I would just get a somewhat faster N800 with suitable controls, but this thing will be blazingly fast. The memory throughput is enormous, and this thingy will be extremely snappy at everything it does, because memory performance has always been the main bottleneck in handheld space(just remembering the disappointing performance of the first Xscales compared to Strong ARM).

This will cause some dropped jaws, when this thing hits the wilderness, I'm pretty sure :ph34r:

Edit: Voted first option :D
Edit2: I'd love to test Hexen2 and Quake2 first.
Edit3: The new case-design is lovely, too. It feels like the light on the horizon is getting brighter. ED's comment about the secret discussion area bustling with activity makes me feel very confident :)

I am dying to take an XFCE desktop with me in my pocket.

FireFox everywhere in the house, without burning of your private parts with Intel hardware :D

I want to see some of my code running on an 800x480 display instead of a 800x480 window ;)

I'm hella excited. As for what excites me the most out of what TaG listed: all of it! Its the fact that I will finally have one device on which I can do all of those things that has me so worked up. I've had a psp since the day it was released & once the 'new gadget' excitement wore off I was never really satisfied with it. There have been so few games worth playing for it, and for the longest time all I used it for was an emulation machine, which I still didn't like because of the absurd aspect ratio. Not to mention that It is extremely uncomfortable to hold (i much preferred the ds lite), the buttons just don't feel right and the audio output is so low it makes it useless as an mp3 player. My laptop is my main tinkering device (been running linux for years), but is much too big to haul around everywhere & my battery is busted so I'm constantly tethered to an outlet. To have a combination of all of the best features of several devices in one device is what I'm really most excited about. A big factor is also that it fits so well with my belief system. I love that It was designed based on the input of a community of end users by an upstart company that just wants the device to be the best it can be & that it is a completely open-platform. I hate being told what I can & can't do with something I own, but with the pandora we are actually encouraged to do whatever we want. Its such a refreshing change. Now we don't have to rely on hacks of other devices to make them do just a few things we want, the sky is the limit. The community is also a big part of what has me excited. The psp community is full of people who don't understand or care about the work that goes into programs. The majority of the scene is little more than kids who just want free games. Judging from what I've already seen with the pandora community as well as the GP communities, the maturity level seems to generally be a lot higher. IMO this increases the incentive for developers wanting to get involved, because the appreciation off their work will be much higher with a more mature crowd. Things are much less likely to turn into petty flame wars that cause developers to leave the scene (much like the whole gpsp fiasco). And last but not least is the team's attitude. They realize that if you want something the best way to get it is just do it yourself instead of waiting for others (gamepark) to get things right.This ensures that we will be left with a quality device. Thats my two cents, if anyone actually read it, lol.

I voted "Still excited. Keeping it under control.", as this is more-or-less how I've been all along (I try not to get too excited before things are released, or else I'd probably go insane :lol: ). :p

As for picking one thing, wow, it's hard to pick. I don't think I can pick just one - this is the exact machine I dreamed of throughout my childhood. :lol:

Games-wise, one thing I'm looking forward to a lot is playing through Mega Man 7 for the SNES again, but this time on a handheld. :p That aside, PandoraPanic! and benjymous' game concept are also very high on my list.

Non-games-wise, I'm looking forward to using nano (my favourite text-editor) on Angstrom to get writing done, as well as not having to lug my laptop (my main box :D) around the house/out-and-about when I need it for web-browsing and whatever. That, and I'm looking forward to trying out the ARM releases of Ubuntu and any other ARM Linux distros in the future (there are two reasons for this - one is for easy separation of work and leisure, and the other is because I'm hoping to be able to move all of my computing to ARM-based devices in the future, and trying these things out will be fun for me :p).

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn Right I'm exited. already made my big list of must play games on every consoles. :D.

Still i wish i could receive it before January the third... ( going to CUUUBA , and i need something to do during the plane flight and during insomnia! ).

I broke my mp3 5 months ago and still didn't get a new one: waiting for my Pandora.

I'm so exited that i already have 1 game in development for it and Another one in the future.

+ They said they would show us some Pandora Pics/videos after this weekend...
I'm ... pretty excited!

If i wasn't a grown man i would've soiled myself a few times by now.

Trying to forget about it until it arrives, more or less. I've gone from checking this forum once every hour or so for news to checking it every couple of days. I know that when I get it, I'll be excited, but I've got other stuff to hold my attention until then, like new PC games and the shiny new video card I just ordered yesterday (GTX 260 Core 216).

cant wait to play some zoop and discover something different. for me its all about learning something new, thats what makes my life worth it.

im getting bored. its like a cocktease. yeah, theres stuff like bobs game and mr gonzos project and all the other stuff, but even these projects are just 99 percent talking. we still haven't seen a real pandora (i understand why, but im just explaining why im not excited so dont get your dick in a bunch) and no homebrew has been shown running. ill get excited when we see the pandora, and ill be very excited when they start shipping and the first few homebrew get released before I have mine. I'll burst.

Extremely. Thank god the weeks have been moving by quickly but I really want to play some PSX and GBA games during free periods at school. And an MP3 player would be really nice since my iPod Touch got stolen.

PoisonedV said:
i yeah, theres stuff like bobs game and mr gonzos project and all the other stuff, but even these projects are just 99 percent talking.
Hmm, Bobs game seems pretty much finished to me.

And i think i did well for a week of development :p.

And Eniko; Im doing pretty much the same thing as you aha.
( well not for the last week , I've pretty much bin creative when i wasn't out at work. )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back