Are We Fans of the Pyra because we hate the domination of computing by big Government?

klapse

Central Scrutinizer
After all the reports of big govermnet spying us through email, hard drives, northbridges, social media.

DON'T WE WANT A GOD DAMNED PLATFORM THAT IS SPYWARE FREE?7

GO PYRA.
[doublepost=1463976928,1463976500][/doublepost]06:14 < klopsi-u3> what you suspect might be possibly wrong with the planet
06:14 < klopsi-u3> is probably not as bad as it really is

Reactions: rSl
It's not the reason why I am a fan of the Pyra, but sure it is an additional plus.

I bought one of the original eee netbooks. I wanted something tiny and powerful.
The screen area was a little on the small size whilst there was a large bezel around the physical screen meaning the device wasn't quite small enough.
The keys were cramped together to almost make touch typing impossible anyway.

I'm looking forward to the Pyra making up for those faults. Screen looks amazing. It doesn't try to be a full size keyboard that you can touch type on so saves space there.
Looks like the battery life is going to be amazing. I've never had a portable computing device that's had more than a 2.5 hour battery life (damn my needs for more grunt). Don't count my phone because it is more for contact and quick googling. I don't use it for any serious work.

I'll probably be using the same email provider and social media services so the pyra doesn't save me there.

I'm a fan of the device because there are none like it. I was almost on board with the n900 but timing didn't work for me.
I also love the story behind it.

Well, I'm after a free phone. To me getting a palmtop computer with it is the bonus, and not a small one that is. ;)

for me, it's verry important. :)

but, using a pyra doesn't instantly stop 'them' spying on us, a lot of the tools 'they' use
are installed at the providers and in the whole backbone infrastructure. so essentially the complete internet, which is not in our own/citizen posession, is to be considered tainted.
you may like to lookup 'foxacid' and 'quantum' for further infos.
so we have to use end2end encryption, anonymity tools etc. too. it's only a first step to disallow 'them' on our own physical systems, but it's a verry important one!

Last edited:
I feel powerless without a poll...

(anyway, the government is the last thing I think about... if they want data, they get data, no matter how)

Actually, being 1 in the 1000 people owning a Pyra and being identified as such, you may be looked at pretty closely by your government...

I'm more concerned by big business making money out of exploting my data than big government doing similar, but that hasn't got much to do with why I'm buying a Pyra - it's why I'm not on facebook and put up with nagging from youtube. Sure, big government should have checks and balances to make sure joe bloggs from the council can't spy on my online life. Unfortunately, the techniques I use to keep my data from hackers and big companies probably limits what legitimate government users can get on me, but they'll just have to trust me that I'm not doing anything naughty.

As for why I'm getting a Pyra, it's more to do with the community, and the fact my Pandora's a little on its last legs already. The way Pandora software was released was like having a birthday every week!

Cute, but I'll stick with the Pyra. I'm not sure Pale Moon's gonna run well on that HP thingy.

I'd say my interest in the Pandora/Pyra comes down to the following:

• A good range of I/O hardware built in - minimises the number of adaptors required
  • The bread&butter tools that I expect to "just be there" [python, ssh, a real text editor, tidy package-management, support for a good range of graphics and audiovisual formats, to name but a few...] are all available without hacky third-party downloads or jailbreaking
  • No bloatware - leading to higher power efficiency
  • Good long-term support prospects - I can get the maximum possible use out of my purchase
  • Small development team - large organisations always seem to be unethical and antisocial as a group, even when they're made up of nice individuals
  • No hidden costs - I'd rather pay £££ up front than slowly bleed pennies and personal information into a black hole

The way Pandora software was released was like having a birthday every week!
It still is... just peruse the old releases for things you might have missed... OR... just look at the new OS release we have and Now and then there are still releases, see Cave9
LET's RATE ALL APPS!
We are Pyrates now! Murder, Rate and Pillage!
[doublepost=1464031821,1464031700][/doublepost]
I'm still not 100% convinced Debian is save... ( eyeballing Devuan... )

I absolutely love using Pandora for any random purpose I can come up with.

One a recent example: When it rains in my house it can get so loud that it's impossible to hear the TV even with volume at max. My brother and I were thinking that it would be nice to somehow connect bluetooth headphones to the TV for those cases.

I have some bluetooth headphones which I use with Pandora, so I had the idea of using Pandora to forward audio from TV to bluetooth headphones. First I needed to figure out how to get audio into the Pandora, luckily the TV out cable also has Line In connectors (LOL, I didn't even realized that before). The TV has audio out using same kind of connectors, excellent. Then I needed to figure out how to record audio in and play it back via bluetooth. Searching a bit I found this:
How to use Pandora as an amplifier
Perfect! I already have my .asoundrc setup for bluetooth playback so it worked right away.

These crazy use-cases wouldn't be possible with other devices. I'm sure Pyra will open up a whole new set of possibilities. :)

Big Gubmint doesn't scare me as much as the greed of Big Money and Big Oil do. Among others, but you get the idea.

I want a complete mobile device that I can actually make use of without tossing it away after a year or two. 2k video on a little ass screen doesn't impress me. The compulsion to dress my device in a fat suit of armor just so it doesn't break if I look at it funny annoys me. Relying on some giant corporation for technical assistance in case a problem occurs drives me up a wall. How deep the blacks are on pictures I might take isn't important to me. Neither are professional-quality video recordings. A replaceable CPU board on a mobile device? Now that's impressive.

I want a mobile device full of features I will actually use. Real gaming controls? Keyboard? GPS? Mobile OS with desktop apps? Replaceable battery? Great amount of expansion, I/O, and connectivity? Yes to all of that. I'm tired of spending money on things I don't want or won't use. I'll use the 4G data. There's no way in the world I'll use ALL of an octa-core CPU without a more robust OS or without controls. Besides, it's throttled anyway.

I want a new paradigm. A mobile device the size of one of my favorite handhelds that could potentially replace 4 gadgets I use regularly without having to charge every 5s is fantastic. Combine such a device with a Pebble Time Round and fully-autonomous wireless earphones and feel the magic.

Back