Arduboy kickstarter

It looks pretty good, but at 44$ it's not cheap for a so low spec processor and screen... I love the form factor, but if I were to choose something like that I'd rather take the pocketC.H.I.P. for 25$ more... color screen with a much more usable resolution, some Cortex A8 with lot of ram and even a keyboard... well it looks pretty neat with the "enclosure" trough

The niche of this is definitely "ultra-pocket". Yeah, you can get something bigger and better for cheaper but the point of this seems to be simplicity and credit card size.

Kinda like how people complain about the Pandora being so expensive.

yes I agree, but gaming on this screen is a no-go for me. and getting anything on any 320x240 or so screen require another processor... it looks great, but except to hang it with my keychain I'm not sure what I'd use this for...

edit: and those 15$ shipping... I can't understand how you can get "free" shipping from HK and china for orders with price as low as 1$ and yet pay this kind of shipping on lots of other places...

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: and those 15$ shipping... I can't understand how you can get "free" shipping from HK and china for orders with price as low as 1$ and yet pay this kind of shipping on lots of other places...
I suspect the PR of China is heavily subsidizing postage. Those evil communists:)

The niche of this is definitely "ultra-pocket". Yeah, you can get something bigger and better for cheaper but the point of this seems to be simplicity and credit card size.

Kinda like how people complain about the Pandora being so expensive.
Well it initially started as a interactive visit card. But it then got thicker and became mini gameboy.

Regarding the resolution i'd be fine even with 96x64 (TI calculators).

I suspect the PR of China is heavily subsidizing postage. Those evil communists:)
probably but since lots of such kinds of goods is fabricate there, dropshipping directly from there seems like a good idea... and I'm even wondering how much shops do it but still makes you pay hefty shipping...

Looks like a spiced up version of Gamebuino  (http://gamebuino.com/) which I have one.

That 3d demo looks like the tech 3d demo Myndale put up a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/4m-Nj2IkDpo?feature=oembed

For credit card size handheld, I prefer the non-gameboy form factor as it fells better to hold.

edit: oh, it is Myndale´s demo, Ufo race is also an original title for the gamebuino made by Rodot, the project owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
This weekend there was a massive landslide in Shenzhen. This happened in the same district as our injection mold factory that you see in the video! We were right there on Thursday! The good news that our factory is safe, but the bad news is not everyone else was so lucky. Right now access is restricted for emergency crews, so workers cannot get to the factory.
Hmmm sounds familiar.

I got my Kickstarter Arduboy through the post today. It's a nice little piece of kit. Biggest issue o can see so far is swapping games around on it. I'll have to set it up on my PC in the next few days. It's supposed to be possible to manage games through a Web interface but I couldnt get it to work properly as it needed to install an add-on while I was using Firefox on my Pandora. The add on seemed to install but I couldn't seem to get any further configuring things on Firefox!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1463594323864.jpg
there's a pic of the Arduboy on top of my Pandora for scale!

if it had a real dpad (not individual buttons) i'd be tempted. but as it is, i have lots of other games/consoles i'm trying to write games for...

Not bad. Looks too small for my hands.

I have tiny hands and yet I still have a lot of problems with very small handhelds.. GPH Wiz gave me a lot of discomfort, for instance.

This has an appealing aesthetic and might be something worth picking up to play around with in small doses. But I couldn't see myself really using it at length.

I have tiny hands and yet I still have a lot of problems with very small handhelds.. GPH Wiz gave me a lot of discomfort, for instance.

This has an appealing aesthetic and might be something worth picking up to play around with in small doses. But I couldn't see myself really using it at length.
It's not really designed for playing at length, it's almost more of a old school type curiosity. The memory capacity is only a few kb so anything programmed for it will be minimalistic in style! Also there's no way of directly changing games from the Arduboy itself, only through the devout you need to install. I'm currently enjoying short bursts of Epic Crates of Mass Destruction, a Super Crate Box clone!

Back