Archos Or Gp2x?

Troy the Great

Still Fresh
Crap I don't know what to get?

gp2x or Archos 420
Gp2x *linux based(homebrew)* (games and apps,EMULATION!) or
Archos 420 *20gb harddrive*
(all the videos and music I could ask for)

Boath about $350 (gp2x + 3-1gb cards($50 each). I barely have enough for just one of the two (*This is alot of money to spend from a kid with no job and no allowence, want to make the right choice). Don't let your love of GP fog your opinion. Think of it from somone who has never owned a gp32. I want boath so bad. Wat to choose, wat to choose?

I hate decisions!

p.s. Thanks for your help

If you only want to play videos & music, go for teh Archos.

GP2X is more for gaming/emulation.

I don't enjoy handheld video, and I have a cheap-as-chips MP3 player for music, so for me the choice is obvious.

That site selling the AV420 for $349 has a trash Reseller Rating too. The video recorder will come down in price when new/better models hit the market; the GP2X probably won't get cheaper for a while.

I was going to buy an Archos a while ago, but after a couple of my friends' units going haywire cos of the old portable harddrive issue, I decided against it.

When it was working, it was really good quality though, but rather annoying for recoding all the divX files into a specified format as far as I remember.

If you're *just* after video/music, then I'd probably plunk for an Archos - especially knowing the bugs currantly around in the GP2x. By the time you can next afford one, you'll probably find the bugs have been ironed out and there's actually a lot of software available too!

Either that, or it'll have flopped (which I doubt, but hey), but if it has you could quite comfortably console yourself in knowing you didn't buy one in the first place.

However, if you love testing, fiddling, things not quite working (but your knowing that they will if you can find the right version of the file and install it in the right order), then get a 2x - it's not polished yet by any means, but the polishing process should be pretty fun :D

I have an AV380, pretty good but after a year or so the battery no longer holds any sort of charge, and it never had the 6 hrs of promised video or 10 hrs of audio playing. I can't find a replacement battery for it, though I saw some on ebay a while back.

Re encoding everything I wanted to watch eventually became too much of a hassle so I stopped bothering. If it supported more formats it would be perfect, not sure about the 400 series.

I mostly use it as a hard drive to store films and TV progs on, even though I can't watch them.

Plus if you have any problems don't bother trying to contact the company, still waiting for a reply to my email sent months ago, many other complaints about customer service on the forums as well.

They stopped supporting the AV300 series pretty soon after bringing out the next model and although there is a petition going around to make the OS open source or add a few more features the company doesn't seem to take much notice. There is an homebrew OS alternative in developementbut it seems to have stalled.

All in all I chose to try the GP2X instead of another Archos.

Hope it helps but what ever you get you won't be dissapointed, they are both good in their own way.

I have an archos 380 too... with the tv recorder its great. I use it instead of a video recorder. It also has a copy of all my music on it. I also like to record a bunch of movies onto it before going on holiday. Then when we get there I can just plug it into a tv and voila... a jukebox and for those lazy nights we can watch a film. I also bought the camera add-on so it can double up as a camcorder/camera.
Then I got the same problem.. the battery didnt hold any charge either... a full charge lasted about 10 mins. I contacted archos about how to replace it they told me it would need to be sent back to them for a qualified engineer to fit a new one total cost was going to be 80 euros + tax. I didnt really want to go through the hassle of packing/sending it and paying all that money just to relace the battery. Then a few months ago I found this

http://www.newmp3technology.com/proddetail...?prod=mb&cat=18

at around £20 I figured what the heck I'll try it.

It was easy to fit and now is back to it's original state.

As for the choice.. depends on what you really want. As a hobby programmer Id go for the GP2X.. even with the teething troubles.. If your more interested in just storing loads of movies/music/pictures then its archos.

PS. I thought I would watch movies and listen to music on the archos when commuting to/from work.. I did for a few months but the novelty wore off and its spends most of its life under the tv.

PPS. Hi all.. This is my first post. Figured Id join in while waiting for my unit to arrive :)

Thanks for advice, It would be nice to know if anyone owns the 420. Its sposed to be the best PVP ever made(from Cnet). I want Emulation and the Ability to fill full of music and vids on the go. So I really don't know, Crap!

* archos did get 10/10 from almost every rating (bottom of link)

ok think bout this, with the gp2x you have all of these things included, although video / music may not be as good at least you have everything in 1 unit, dont know if ive been any help but cheers anyways, matt :)

Media player = Archos.
Games machine (plus a bit of all-round) = GP2X.

Also, notice Archos' 20GB.
If you want LOTS on the go, go with Archos.

As a completely unbiased person, to be honest I'd go with Archos.
As a open source and GP2X lover, I'd go for GP2X.

Your choice.

Back