Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru Hd, And Penumbra Are Now Open Source!

#1 GameMaster said:
Now that they're all open source who's going to port them? :D

For those of you who don't know what they are here's a link.

Aquaria's System Requirements said:
1.6Ghz
256MB RAM
Mid/High-End Video Card
Latest Video Card Drivers w/ OpenGL support
Sound Card
200 Mb Free Hard Disk Space

Penumbra's System Requirements said:
Processor: 1.5Ghz
Memory: 512MB
Disc Space: 2.0GB
Video Card: Radeon 8500/GeForce 3
(GeForce4MX not supported, Integrated graphics might not work)

Gish's System Requirements said:
AMD, Intel or G3 1000+ Mhz processor; OpenGL Compatible 3D Graphics adaptor (ATI, NVIDIA, Intel, etc.) with 32 mb of video memory; 256MB of memory

Last edited by a moderator:
He actually asked 'who will port them' (not how well they run; as I always say you can run whatever you want on a vic-20 at .0001fps :)

More to point --

The question should be "who will port them, or should I try to learn how to do it myself?" Come on folks, take the dive ;)

jeff

and lugaru (my personal favorite) says:
Because of the emphasis on gameplay, the graphics are designed to let the game run as smoothly as possible. It should run at full speed at full detail on any system with a 700 MHz processor and Geforce 3 or better graphics card. It should run acceptably on any system with a 300 MHz processor and Rage 128 or better graphics card. While models do not have as many polygons as in some new commercial games, there is an unprecedented amount of detail where it actually matters. If an enemy shatters his staff on your skull then your vision will unfocus slightly for a few seconds. Jumping through trees creates a shower of leaves (and snow if it is in a cold area). Landing an especially solid blow to the head can spatter blood on the wall and knock out a couple teeth. If you throw a knife into a wolf, blood will drip down his fur as he yanks out the knife and uses it against you. It is even possible to smash enemies so hard into walls that the surface cracks. Motion blur makes fast movement easier to track.

Unfortunatelly, it does not support gamepad and for me, playing with keyboard is a real pain.

I've been eager to have a crack at both Aquaria and Penumbra, though I doubt I'll ever get the time required to work on Penumbra. I'll have a look at Aquaria this weekend, hopefully. At the very least I'll try a straight recompile and see what needs work.

skeezix said:
The question should be "who will port them, or should I try to learn how to do it myself?" Come on folks, take the dive ;)

Easy to say, as someone who's taken computer programming classes for two years I can say I'm only marginally better at it than when I started :p. I envy those who it comes easy to haha.

skeezix said:
He actually asked 'who will port them' (not how well they run; as I always say you can run whatever you want on a vic-20 at .0001fps :)

More to point --

jeff

How well do you think that they would run on the Pandora any ways? (the 3 I like best are Aquaria, Gish, and Lugaru. Penumbra alright though)

I would like to learn programing, right now I know very little, so I doubt I'd be able to port anything. :(
How did you go about learning?

Eniko said:
Ports can also include optimizations that may make them run fullspeed on the Pandora.

That's what I was thinking when I started thus topic but after the first 2 replies I got a little disappointed :( thinking that they wouldn't run.

#1 GameMaster said:
Eniko said:
Ports can also include optimizations that may make them run fullspeed on the Pandora.

That's what I was thinking when I started thus topic but after the first 2 replies I got a little disappointed :( thinking that they wouldn't run.

I order you to remain disappointed. :angry: :lol:

I've been playing Aquaria a lot lately. It's a great game! But if you're able to get it running full speed on the Pandora, I will buy a hat for the special purpose of eating it.

Keep in mind I said "may" make them run fullspeed. I have no idea about how efficient any of these games are already, and I'm certainly not going to be the one optimizing the ports, but we have access to the sourcecode so it's within the realm of possibility. No reason to dash any hopes or dreams.

I do recall reading the Lugaru folks' saying the source for their game was kind of a kludge, but then again that one already has pretty low requirements.

Well, I just set my laptop to 550MHz (Ath Turion x2, so probably far from a reasonable estimate, but still encouraging) and swam around a bit in Aquaria pretty comfortably if without a little jutter... and that's with the default sized viewport which is probably larger than would be used on a Pandora port. The Vale was a lot slower than the Energy temple though, so possibly the whole area is in memory at once... maybe this might be something to look into changing if that's sensible (it might break some zones though, so possibly not).

Also I believe there was a comment from one of the Bit-Blot team that Aquaria had embarrassing code fueled by large quantities of whisky, which should probably work in our favour as far as optimisations are concerned...

Kicker said:
#1 GameMaster said:
Now that they're all open source who's going to port them? :D

For those of you who don't know what they are here's a link.

Aquaria's System Requirements said:
1.6Ghz
256MB RAM
Mid/High-End Video Card
Latest Video Card Drivers w/ OpenGL support
Sound Card
200 Mb Free Hard Disk Space

Penumbra's System Requirements said:
Processor: 1.5Ghz
Memory: 512MB
Disc Space: 2.0GB
Video Card: Radeon 8500/GeForce 3
(GeForce4MX not supported, Integrated graphics might not work)

Gish's System Requirements said:
AMD, Intel or G3 1000+ Mhz processor; OpenGL Compatible 3D Graphics adaptor (ATI, NVIDIA, Intel, etc.) with 32 mb of video memory; 256MB of memory
Well yeah, but what can you take out to make them run better? A lot of adapting will need to be done but don't think it is outright impossible. Looking at system requirements on an open source game and saying it's impossible without looking at the code to see why it needs all that horse power is pointless. For all you know it might just be the lighting affects that jack up the horsepower.

second exodous said:
Well yeah, but what can you take out to make them run better? A lot of adapting will need to be done but don't think it is outright impossible. Looking at system requirements on an open source game and saying it's impossible without looking at the code to see why it needs all that horse power is pointless. For all you know it might just be the lighting affects that jack up the horsepower.

I didn't say that it wasn't possible, just that I would eat a hat if it was. GET IT STRAIGHT OKAY :lol:

I've actually seen a senior forum member having to actually document his eating of his hat (they take jokes to the extreme over there). The poor bastard spent ages looking for one that wouldn't kill him when he ate it.
In the end he ate a fruit-hat. Still a couple of kilos of fruit though.

I was thinking marzipan personally. Still, that's a lot of marzipan. Unless I make a skullcap or beret instead of, say, a top hat.

I would accept a large top hat carved entirely out of SPAM, but nothing else that is edible. I'm sure if you had a choice between that much spam or a substance that could possibly make you sick/kill you would pick the latter though.

second exodous said:

It is not pointless at all. There is a big difference between "this is likely to happen" and "this is very unlikely to happen".

Optimizing while porting is often very hard, in particular when fighting with memory requirements. You example with the light effects makes sense, but it is very unlikely to be that simple in real life.

Just porting from OpenGL to OpenGL ES requires significant effort. And the developper who port an application usually does not want to invest hundreds of hours in it, especially if the content of the game remain commercial (as it is the case here, isn't it?).

Kicker said:
I didn't say that it wasn't possible, just that I would eat a hat if it was. GET IT STRAIGHT OKAY :lol:
I've now taken a good look at the Aquaria code and there's a reasonable chance you might (eventually, it'd take me a few weeks at the very least, probably months) be eating that hat. Seriously, there's all kinds of "odd" things in there. I can't get it to compile yet because it casts pointers to ints to pass them around and 64 bit pointers don't fit into 32 bit ints. So yeah, quite a few things that need to be fixed and optimized.

Back