Apple report

ghostpatch

A good report about Apple. Unfortunately its only in German.

http://mediathek.daserste.de/sendungen_a-z/799280_reportage-dokumentation/13296480_der-apple-check

I was shocked how cheap it is to produce an iPhone.

- 679 € iPhone5 (cheapest version) for reference

- 152 € material costs

-    6 € labour coasts!!!

They interviewed a women who works for QSMC (the company manufacturing the cases for Apple) and she told them about her working 12 hours a day and sleeping with 13 other women in a small room without windows.

it makes me angry to know that the workers are treated like shit. I know other companys also produce in China under the same conditions but their profit margin is a lot smaller and some even need these cheap workers to stay competitive. Apple on the other hand makes so unbelievably much money, they could easily pay them more and improve their lives a lot.

I seriously hate Apple

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple are quite hard on their worker, but they are far to be the only one...

I'm sorry but I think it is hypocritical, if the person is right there, is why she wants is there, she has full right to leave and find another job and I guarantee that soon someone would have in her place. I say the same for the working conditions in china if you do not want to work, ok, other works in its place. is a simple capitalist ideal.

MarTinazzI​

Sounds pretty realistic.

The material costs for one Pandora are about 200 EUR and the labour costs here in Germany about 70 EUR... that's some difference.

I take it that the Pandora parts being more expensive is due to the small numbers you buy compared to Apple?

Just in case anyone was unsure about how outrageous this is:

iphone5costs.png

Just in case anyone was unsure about how outrageous this is:

attachicon.gif
iphone5costs.png
Its not all profit. There is shipping, distribution, support, inventory cost, taxes, and marketing (which is hugely expensive for Apple). It's far from being the green portion on your chart, while they are of course profitable.

And it's not outrageous. There is not reason to limit the profits you make on something you sell as long as people are buying it. That's how markets work. Most of the time you never know how much it really costs to make anything, so why is outrageous only when you know ?

@ekianjo: you're probably right, I just wanted to exercise a meme ;)

Sounds pretty realistic.

The material costs for one Pandora are about 200 EUR and the labour costs here in Germany about 70 EUR... that's some difference.
270 EUR sounds reasonable all up. Pity the price needs to be elevated to 453 EUR (Excluding VAT) to pay off the pre-orders

Well , ( and please note I'm typing on an iPhone ) that's how the world works . Look at the industrial revolution in the west . Admittedly it's terrible how they treat the workers . BUT it's not ALL apple's fault as it is FOXCONN ( a Taiwanesse company ) who owns the factory where apple iPhones are manufactured . And Tim cook has took various trips to the plant .

I take it that the Pandora parts being more expensive is due to the small numbers you buy compared to Apple?
Exactly.

Sounds pretty realistic.

270 EUR sounds reasonable all up. Pity the price needs to be elevated to 453 EUR (Excluding VAT) to pay off the pre-orders
Well, that's not the only reason. You also have monthly fix costs (tax counsellor, employee, advertisements, returns, etc.) which also need to be added.

Also, distributors usually want to make at least 10% as well, so our profit is basically the minimum we can do when working with distributors as well.

Apple only does this kind of shit, because they can. Millions buy their crap products and think they can do no wrong. As long as Apple has their loyal following, they will charge and do what they like. I would so love to see them take a fall, but they have consumers who would walk thru fire to get the latest Apple products, and that is just very hard for any competition to overcome.

Chris

Apple only does this kind of shit, because they can. Millions buy their crap products and think they can do no wrong. As long as Apple has their loyal following, they will charge and do what they like. I would so love to see them take a fall, but they have consumers who would walk thru fire to get the latest Apple products, and that is just very hard for any competition to overcome.

Chris
Fewer than they've had in the past I think.  Their important measure is stock price and that hasn't done all that well lately.

It's been a very long time since Apple innovated, now they just iterate and litigate.

Well at least iPhones are tough . I saw a YouTube vid of a guy firing a single 50 cal BMG round into a 4s - but the frame STILL held up .

It's been a very long time since Apple innovated
they once did that?it surely date from the eighties...
Well this is debatable, but in the late nineties they introduced a user-friendly GUI OS based on unix.

"OS X is a Unix-like operating system built on technology that had been developed at NeXT through the second half of the 1980s and up until Apple purchased the company in early 1997."

Although you could argue that the innovation occurred at NeXT and that Apple just "embraced and extended" it.

It's been a very long time since Apple innovated
they once did that?it surely date from the eighties...
Well this is debatable, but in the late nineties they introduced a user-friendly GUI OS based on unix.

"OS X is a Unix-like operating system built on technology that had been developed at NeXT through the second half of the 1980s and up until Apple purchased the company in early 1997."

Although you could argue that the innovation occurred at NeXT and that Apple just "embraced and extended" it.
ok, but, who is the founder of NexT?

MarTinazzI​

Back