Apple Ii Emulation

carlgeorge

Website
Visit site
After reading Retrogamer's article on the Apple II computer I realised that this is one machine that no one seems to have mentioned here. Any thoughts?

Yeah Apple II and Intellivision are a couple of systems that get no attention for some reason. I think there is an Apple II emu for Palm, so it shouldn't be too hard to port to the GP32.

The only thing I think of when I hear Apple (the old apple machines that is) is those Apple IIc computers that we used in elementary school, in the computer lab, and all of the classrooms. Except those select few rooms that had the MUCH better Apple IIgs computers. All the same, I never really did anything noteworthy on those computers, except word processors, and really crappy basic programs. Other than that, we only had elementary school-level games and stuff, not exciting. :(

There's probably WAY more to the old OLD Apple computers than that, but I certainly don't know about it.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what makes the ZX Spectrum a very good computer either, except for maybe games. Then again, I've never seen one in real life before, ever. And then there's the Amstrad. When I ran my Amstrad emulator, I immediately got an image in my mind that made me think that this computer would probably be in older schools, some years ago.

Now, I have some fond memories of the C64, because we own a C128. Originally it was a computer for my brother to use for school stuff, so the only c128 software we had was word processors and other stuff like that. Every game we had was for the c64 part of the c128, so that's close enough. At this time, I owned a Apple IIgs (and I was VERY young), and all I'd do on it was use software to doodle around, and make greeting cards, and print them out. That's all I used it for, up until the disks crapped out. :( Later we did the computer cycle and we all switched computers when my brother got an ibm. Now, loads later, we didn't have room for the c128 anymore (which is hard to believe, since it's a pretty small computer... o_O), so it was at my grandparent's house, up until 2 years ago when I took it back home with me. :) I like playing one game on it: The Music Studio. :D (ok ok, Jumpman Junior is kinda fun too). I went online to find a d64 file of The Music Studio, and I found it, but it's really weird, the only version I could find has VERY different demo music, and graphics. The version I actually own had more rock music on it, and slightly different graphics... maybe I have a later version? I'd copy it into a d64 file, but I don't have any way to read those huge disks. Oh well, maybe later.

Whoo, sorry about my nostolgia. :p

Well anyway, I really don't mind that there isn't a Apple emulator...

We have an Intellivision at my grandparents house (same story, except I didn't bring it back home 2 years ago. :p), of which my cousin and my grandpa like to verse each other in this one baseball game. :D The only games we had were sports games, so I don't know.

We also have a coleco vision, with TONS of cool games, but I don't have the right TV or converter to hook it up anymore. :( I should probably get one at radio shack or something... just for fun. :D

Yay, past fun! :D

Apple II has one the best RPGs I ever played: The Dark Heart of Uukrul

DaveC,
I didn't know about the Palm Emu, I knew about the Dreamcast one here. But you are right some of these other older machines would be welcome additions.

Drag,
In Britain most schools during the eighties had BBC computers, so the educational software (and the turtle) are all that I really remember of them, however apparently there were loads of good games available for the system (for example Elite was initially made for the Beeb). So what I am saying is that although you have mainly seen the Apple II used for educational purposes, if you had owned one you would have remembered loads of games for it. Have a look at this list:

ClassicGaming.com

I never owned either a BBC or Apple II, but you can't argue that they would be nice machines to have emulated.

Oh yeah, the Amstrad was never a school machine.

edit -- misread something

I would love to see an Apple II emulator. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to porting one as a first GP project.

Yeah, I do agree the Apple deserves an emulator, I was just saying I never really got a chance to play any good games for it.

If I rememeber correctly, the last Apple II made was the IIgs which stood for Graphics and Sound.

Think it had 256 colors or something, but I don't recall any Apple II programs even using 32 colors, so that would be a snap.

I notice the startup sound of the IIgs is different than the other apples... the beep is different. On the Apple, it's just a plain beep, but on the IIgs, it's like a buzzy sounding beep that has what sounds like more than 1-bit output.

Interesting... I didn't know the IIgs stood for graphics and sound...

Though the IIgs did have a blue border. It reminded me of my c128. :D

Apple ][ would indeed be cool, but BBC MUST come first! I can't believe none of the BBC projects has seen the light of day yet!

From the trend of trying to emulate the most ambitious systems like SNES, GBA, PSX(!) etc, I love the way we're now looking towards the older ones. Pituka was great, so let's mop up all the old-skool systems that we can! The GP32 can certainly handle most of them - "Completed" emulators? Now there's a mouth watering prospect...

®

Shirohagen,
I agree completely (except that the BBC should come first). Just off the top of my head I think that some of these could be looked at too:

Famicom Disk System
Intellivision
Vectrex
Fairchild
Acorn 8-bit
Acorn BBC Micro
Acorn Electron
Apple IIgs
ORIC

Back