Apple confirms it's intentionally slowing down iPhones with old batteries

If you had the choice between a working slower phone or a non-booting or resetting phone, you would choose the latter?

The problem I see is that it is not communicated to the user. You could just give a message showing the CPU is throttled due to cold or an older battery.
And if you really want you should be able to disable this feature, but obviously you could only do it with a working phone.

A real battery health overview would already help, if it indicates you have a bad battery you should be able to replace it easily.

Yes, the odd thing about this is people that were interviewed on the news were complaining that their old iPhones got slower *and* the battery life got much worse. If they didn't do this then apparently battery life would be even worse.

But this does highlight the big failure in these devices, and it's not limited to Apple these days - the fact you can't swap the battery. Maybe that's exacerbated by them apparently using inferior batteries compared to my Pandora one, which is at least five years old and still powers my Pandora for 18+ hour stretches at a time.

But then again, maybe it's just me that sees this as such a problem. A market in aftermarket screen replacements for people to fix their shattered screens has grown up, but I've not come across anyone offering to give your gorrilla glass smartphone a new battery.

i guess people are more likely to drop their phones repeatedly in the course of two years than to want to not upgrade their phone.

the slowing down serves the extra purpose of encouraging an upgrade...

The idea is that the phone wouldn't be able to start or reset when cold. Replacing your cold battery with a warm one would probably work though.

Back