Appimage instead of pnd?

Maschinenherz

Found this today...

http://appimage.org/

Perhaps it could be used instead of the pnd system on the pyra? It aims on packaging everything in one file. And has just to be made executable. Worth a read? Or is the pnd format, which is great, the optimal solution? I dont know if about dependency problems though

I'll just sit right here and let you guys figure out the packaging stuff.

97MEy.gif

And you still need it to ad programs to the menu/desktop.

I actually do wonder why they even make a website for this.
Scripts that contain binary data after EOF is an old trick.
Basically you pack everything into a container, next you write a script that opens itself as said container after EOF and then you just merge it using "cat container >> sript.sh". Vóila, self extracting archive.
The only program that i know of that uses this method is Sakis connection script, you may google that, indeed this is a great packaging way for scripts and data but it would be horrible for proper programs.

And it doesn't work for large packages (at least it seems shells like to map the whole file into memory).

I actually do wonder why they even make a website for this.
Scripts that contain binary data after EOF is an old trick.
Basically you pack everything into a container, next you write a script that opens itself as said container after EOF and then you just merge it using "cat container >> sript.sh". Vóila, self extracting archive.
The only program that i know of that uses this method is Sakis connection script, you may google that, indeed this is a great packaging way for scripts and data but it would be horrible for proper programs.
Appimage has a bit more clever implementation:
An AppImage is an ISO 9660 file with zisofs compression containing a minimal AppDir (a directory that contains the app and all the files that it requires to run which are not part of the targeted base operating systems) and a tiny runtime executable embedded into its header. Hence, an AppImage is both an ISO 9660 file (that you can mount and examine) and an ELF executable (that you can execute).
So it's an executable binary rather than a script.

But for the case of Pandora/Pyra I think the PND/DBP package format offers goodies which AppImage doesn't provide (menu integration, auto-scanning, app data dir, etc).

Last edited:
So its just using C instead bash for the header? Right, totally different.

Actually, how much can the DBP format do that AppImage can't ? How much is due to the daemon ?

Well Wally has made like 100+ DBPs, there is no turning back now.

160 now but containing over 500 games.

Well, Wally can turn back and look at for a second then keep moving on with a smile: "I ain't turning back now." :)

NOT TURNING BACK. slaeshjag has worked countless hours on the DBP system, it works really well and will continue to use it for the life of it.

You guys can use your crappy packager app, have fun with it.

NOT TURNING BACK. slaeshjag has worked countless hours on the DBP system, it works really well and will continue to use it for the life of it.

You guys can use your crappy packager app, have fun with it.

I see two logical fallacies.

First, the fact that anyone spend any amount of time on any task doesn't give it any value. Just because I spent "countless hours" drawing something doesn't mean that the result will be good.
Then, you do not tell us (or even link to) the merits of the DBP system compared to AppImage, but instead prefer to make an ad hominem.

Back